Bland tweaks

Options
orawes
orawes Posts: 13 Member
I have started this eating plan to assist a training programme im doing. Is there somrthing I can add that wont un do the good to make the food less bland? Especially the porridge. What can i add that is healthy to make it taste better?

Meal One - (Breakfast) Whey Protein shake upon waking.

Meal Two - (Mid-Morning) Oatmeal (porridge oats)
Meal Three - (Lunch) Lean white meat (chicken, turkey, pork loin or fish) and complex carb (sweet potato, brown rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta) and veggie.

Meal Four - (Late Afternoon) Yogurt and an apple or pear or just a meal replacement shake (MRP).

Meal Five - (Dinner) Lean white meat (chicken, turkey, pork loin or fish) and a green veggie (broccoli, asparagus, cucumbers, spinach, greens, green beans, etc.).

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is doable but boring as you say. Please tell us more about this "training program." What is the goal? Do you have to eat five meals a day?

You can add anything you want to porridge: Sweet potatoes. spinach, kale, bacon, nuts, fruit, dried fruit, shrimp, oil or fat, (Shrimp and spinach or kale are low cal especially).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar and milk
    Maple syrup
    Honey
    fruit
    nuts
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    protein powder works well in porridge.

For the rest, learn to cook with fresh herbs.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Umm, use some sauces?

You can make healthy sauces using a yoghurt base or tomato base... olive oil is good. Honey is good....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Stock your cupboards with paprika, cayenne, ground ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric. Also dried oregano, thyme, rosemary and sage. Buy some garlic.

You can make any number of rubs and marinades for chicken breast with the above without adding anything significant in terms of calories, but a veritable ****tonne of flavour.

You may need a touch of olive oil for some marinades, but you can get away with quite a small amount, get some quality fats and still keep the calories lower. Alternatively you can just do dry rubs...

ETA: Oh, common. since when has ****tonne been a swear word?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 in my oatmeal/porridge. It's only 45 calories for two tablespoons. The chocolate flavor is good too.
    Cinnamon
    Vanilla almond milk
    A tablespoon of peanut or almond butter
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have started this eating plan to assist a training programme im doing. Is there somrthing I can add that wont un do the good to make the food less bland? Especially the porridge. What can i add that is healthy to make it taste better?

Meal One - (Breakfast) Whey Protein shake upon waking.

Meal Two - (Mid-Morning) Oatmeal (porridge oats)
    Meal Three - (Lunch) Lean white meat (chicken, turkey, pork loin or fish) and complex carb (sweet potato, brown rice, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta) and veggie.

Meal Four - (Late Afternoon) Yogurt and an apple or pear or just a meal replacement shake (MRP).

Meal Five - (Dinner) Lean white meat (chicken, turkey, pork loin or fish) and a green veggie (broccoli, asparagus, cucumbers, spinach, greens, green beans, etc.).

You have the makings of some very good food in this.

Without going into a cooking class or chef school, you will need to do research on your own.

Just changing texture alone will add a huge varity to your current methods. Look at frying, searing, roasting grilling. Think outside of the box!

EX: How are you fixing your oatmeal. Have your tryed frying it yet? make your oatmeal and then let your oatmeal sit over nite in a breadloaf pan in the refrigerator. In the cut a couple of portion size slices and fry (no oil) (this is like toasting your sliced oatmeal) and this texture change will add a tonnes of flavor to the oatmeal with NO calorie changes. For a couple calories add fresh fruit.

I use vanilla almond milk in my oatmeal most morning My diary is open. look at it. Of course my goals are diffent then yours and my outcomes will be different. LOOK at your friends diaries!

Seasoning and Herbs! Look through some online recipes to get some ideas of what to add WITHOUT adding calories or adding a few calories.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Rosemary, garlic and olive oil goes with almost everything (except maybe the oatmeal) in my experience. Even salmon or cod.

If it fits with the plan, a miniscule piece of spicy spanish chorizo (it's hard like salami, not soft like the chorizo sausage) transforms food. I mean miniscule here, like 1/4oz (5-6g). I chop it finely and let it sweat for a couple of minutes with the garlic and rosemary in olive oil and then add it to whatever. What I like is that you can use small or large quantities of fat and it works just as well.
  • orawes
    orawes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very good advice. Defo will be making that Oatmeal loaf