Depression

Options
I got diagnosed with depression this morning. I've been feeling like this for about 6 weeks. It makes me very tired. I can sleep from 6:30pm through to midday and still be tired enough so that i'm back in bed asleep by 6:30 again. But my main problem at the moment is i can't concentrate on anything. Logging my food on here has stopped because i just can't concentrate for long enough to add things in. And working out has become virtually non-existent over the past 2 or 3 weeks because of lack of concentration. I'm really struggling. I need to workout. I feel even more yucky if i don't. If only i could concentrate! :angry:

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did they prescribe medication?
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    Yes, i'm on citalopram
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    force yourself to walk, do something..... if its cold out go to a mall or store and just walk...... I promise it will get better! I've been there.... take your meds faithfully and be completely honest with your Dr.
    Hugs to you!!!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Woah on the side affects

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/citalopram/citalopram-side-effects.html

But then again, I'm on Cymbalta and I'm sure it has as many. Was just going to check on if it was one of the "weight gainers" or not. Mine makes me tired and it makes my friend wired.

Hope it works for you. xoxoxo
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you can, do a little light exercise and work your way up. I know from having two kids that it can be tough to get out of the house, but do it! Ask a friend or family member to watch the kids so that you can go to the gym or just do something you enjoy. That hour out of the house can really start to turn things around! Hope you start to feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    Hey

It's great that you are still working out. Exercise has been shown to be just as effective as many standard anti-depressants.

Hang in there :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have been there too....as hard as it is, keep up your exercise and it will start to help. It may not feel like it at the time, but it does help boost your mood. Try some B-complex vitamins too, if they are not contra-indicated with your medications. They really helped me.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    Did the lack of concentration start before or after you started taking medication? I was on some similar medications for about two years and I lost a good chunk of my brain function and ability to concentrate. I turned into a sleeping zombie who ate everything I could find! :yawn: With the loss of my insurance I stopped taking medication and put myself onto an exercise plan. I have managed to turn my depression around and live medication free. That being said, you might still need medication, but also a little something else:

I suggest starting a regimen of b-vitamins and amino acids (with your doctors approval). This means taking them regularly. Start walking to fast-paced and happy music! I walk around my block twice a day, before and after work, listening to pop songs or anything else that might make me giddy. :smile: If I start feeling that wave of sadness approaching then I start exercising.

I also suggest meditation. This will allow you some time to just clear your mind and learn to "pay attention" to your moods.

I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Shower and walk in the sun! You may have to force yourself to do this but it does help. If there is no sun where you live than look into a lamp for artificial sunlight...good luck to you, this too shall pass...
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've suffered from depression for many years, but am now on medications. Once your medication kicks in you'll feel like doing stuff. If may take a few weeks, but it will kick in.
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I was stressed...not depressed but I killed it with working out the last 3 months. Not a solotion but it may help you.
  • MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ah, Depression. I understand completely. Take your medication, if they don't work COMMUNICATE THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR! Do not give up!

Try to do something for yourself everyday, baby steps! If you have to cry, CRY, scream, SCREAM - get it off your chest, off your mind - and then MOVE ON! Be selfish with time to focus on the positive. Walk, call a friend, eat healthy, get a manicure, visit with positve family members, join a support group.

You are not alone - ".......it was then that I carried you". Take care of yourself and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    Did the lack of concentration start before or after you started taking medication? I was on some similar medications for about two years and I lost a good chunk of my brain function and ability to concentrate.

no, i started the meds today and i haven't been able to concentrate for a few weeks so it's not the meds.
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    I have depression too, found out about a month ago, I find that even when I'm down, I always find time to exercise, that seems to help a lot1 :) I'm also taking sertraline for my anxiety/depression
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    Hi dear, massage therapist here...let me take your hand sweetie! If you can possibly afford a massage, do it..go with a swedish. Ask your Massage Therapist to include essential oils in the session that are uplifting, and balancing..I suggest grapefruit and lavender for starters..I AM AN ESSENTIAL OIL JUNKIE! If you can't swing a massage, go by the Health Food Store and Pick these UP!!! Shouldn't cost you more than $20...come back to me and I'll tell you exactly what to do with them..You'll have a NATURALLY BALANCE HIGH ON LIFE MEDICINE..you can even use these while you take your meds if you wish..TRUST ME! I've Lived on these for over 7 years..only BUY 100% PURE ESSENTIAL OILS! these oils are a natural aide that the body understands..encouraging you to PICK YOURSELF UP! I have been where you are, I completely understand what you are going through! LET me help YOU!:happy:
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    O, and you will LOVE the AROMA! Aromatherapy that is!! ;)
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    tried suicide with sleeping pills and bottle of chardonnay (lost 6lbs) and been on sepram for a year. It definately made me plan working out a lot but still didn't actually do enough what i used to be priviledged to. I spend most of my time to getting into shape, not bed.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D. Most women need 2000 mg a day, not the 400 mg that is recommended. It really helps brain fog. My friend was told she was depressed and when she demanded the doctor test her vitamin levels D was negative on the test. She was given 50000 units of D 3x a week for 3 weeks and her depression lifted. it is worth getting tested.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you start feeling better soon. I looked at the post about the side effects and those are pretty heavy so please be careful and listen to your body and instincts! I take Cymbalta and it has side effects of headache and dry mouth, so I'm not used to seeing things with those strong effects.

I would suggest doing what I do anytime I feel sad or just generally lazy....just go for 10 minutes. If that's all the strength / concentration you have then leave. I guarantee you'll end up staying longer and feeling better. In the meantime you might also want to partner up with a therapist in your area....I know that really helped for me as well!

Good luck!!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey I have been on effexor for about 5 years now. I can honestly say I would not be alive without it. I know how daunting it can be when you get the diagnosis, but things will start to turn around when your meds get all figured out. I agree with trying exercise when you feel up to it. Whenever I can feel an episode coming on, I hit the gym. It has helped me stay stable. Otherwise, talk therapy can do wonders as well. I did both meds and therapy for about 6 months until I stabilized, now that I am ok I just take the meds. Good luck, you can get through this, I promise. Things will start to get better now that you are in treatment.