Protein Shake Advice Needed

Options
Hello :) I started a workout program about 6 weeks ago a mixture of cardio/lifting. I was told by my instructor I need to have a protein shake before class. I have been using bottled protein Glucerna Shake Classic Butter Pecan the Nutrition Facts are

Calories 190 Sodium 210 mg
Total Fat 7 g Potassium 380 mg
Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 23 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 6 g
Trans 0 g Protein 10 g
Cholesterol 5 mg

I am looking to switch to a powdered one since it is more cost effective and also I think they are probably better than the bottled ones. I have never really used them before so need some advice. I am looking for one that does not have a ton of calories as I am still trying to lose weight, one with a good amount of protein and also very important low sugar. I am a diabetic and keep my sugar levels controlled with diet and exercise so anything with a lot of sugars I do not want to use. :) I would just be mixing it with water as it is something quick as I run out the door in the morning and I do not want to have to blend or add anything. Just put it in a shaker bottle and go. Can anyone give me any suggestions of ones that taste good and meet my nutritional goals?? Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I use PHD diet whey, it's in my diary.

Great carb / calorie and protein balance. The taste is good too, though you'll seldom find one that tastes like something out of a Starbucks, lol.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Check into Cellucor, their protein powders are awesome.
  • enoliaa
    enoliaa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am not expert, since I bought only one brand so far. It has 135 cal, 30g protein and 1g sugar, no trans Fat, 1g carbs & I like the taste too :)

http://www.costco.ca/DynaWhey-2-pack-Protein-Beverage-Mix.product.100071546.html

This is from COSTCO (Canada) though, I am not sure about US.

Good luck.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I will check them out :)
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use the Vanilla Whey Protein Kirkland Lake brand from Costco (Canada). The taste is pretty good, mind you I mix it with chocolate soy(extra protein!) or chocolate almond milk and when I have time to blend, I'll add frozen berries and wheat bran which makes the whole thing taste like a fabulous milkshake. My kids adore the berry protein shakes.

Also, separate from your question-if you like to bake, consider buying soy flour to replace white flour, add protein powder and make yourself protein muffins. This has been an awesome snack at my house and for once muffins are actually filling!
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I use body building .com bpi sport WHEY HD love the chocolate cookie and vanilla carmel- 25 grams protein, 126 calories, 2 grams fat, 1 gram sugar! I also like PROnom 23 vanilla cupcake 29 grams protein, 140 calories, 4 grams fat, 2 grams sugar.
  • jancie84
    jancie84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I drink Shaklee shakes....24 gm protein! Also has leucine in them!
  • Cerakoala
    Options
    Thank you!! :)
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I will also put in a vote for Shaklee. My mother and grandmother both drink them every day and while I don't drink it every day, I've tasted it and it's really not too bad. You just mix with water. Also Shaklee products are very high quality and for that you will pay a little more but I think their reputation is worth it.
  • MrzNateJ2013
    Options
    Hey bestie!!! A friend of mine told me to try this Chocolate Whey Protein drink over the counter at Wal-Mart it's called : Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder like you i was told a Protein drink would help a lot i haven't drank much lately but I will be back on it!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hey bestie!!! A friend of mine told me to try this Chocolate Whey Protein drink over the counter at Wal-Mart it's called : Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder like you i was told a Protein drink would help a lot i haven't drank much lately but I will be back on it!

I just bought this one last night and drank a shake. I thought it was good. I mixed it with unsweetened almond milk and ice in blender.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I love all their flavors, some I use more for baked goods and to add to my oats like the cake batter and red velvet, but for shakes I love Cinnamon swirl, chocolate peanut butter marshmallow, mint chocolate chip, and s’mores.
  • jmreder
    jmreder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Lean 25's. They have both powdered and premade. 25 grams of protein.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I love all their flavors, some I use more for baked goods and to add to my oats like the cake batter and red velvet, but for shakes I love Cinnamon swirl, chocolate peanut butter marshmallow, mint chocolate chip, and s’mores.
    I bake with it also, I make all kinds of stuff with it. I had a thread in the recipe section a while back but kind of let it slide. The cinnamon swirl is the best to make pancakes and waffles. I make cakes and cheesecakes with the others often as well as shakes and crepes.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You could definitely find one with higher protein (and probably lower calories). You could try a protein bar, too, if you're even pressed for time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I started a workout program about 6 weeks ago a mixture of cardio/lifting. I was told by my instructor I need to have a protein shake before class.

No, you probably don't. Not unless you somehow don't reach your daily protein goal. And in that case you'd be (slightly) better off having a protein shake after your session.

That said, I like the Body Fortress protein powders - chocolate peanut butter flavor, with milk and a banana = AWESOME. Or vanilla flavor with a banana, milk, and frozen mixed berries.
  • Cerakoala
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses :) I am gonna do some research on the kinds you suggested tonight. I appreciate taking the time out to respond.

As far as having it before I exercise at 6am so I don't eat beforehand but my instructor told us we need to before and after. :)
  • tinkerbell0466
    Options
    I just started using the Body Fortress Whey Protein (From Fred Meyers). Total Fat - 3.0g, saturated 2.0, Cholestrol 85, Sodium 70, Potassium 120, Carbs 7g, Dietary Fiber 0, Sugars 2. g, Protein 30g, Calcium 10%. I ooked it up online and you can purchase it at a variety of stores.
  • richtala
    richtala Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't get the bodyfortress whey, the label is misleading. Also cellucor and bpi whey great mentions, going to have to say PES select whey is amazing though with its snickerdoodle flavor and only 110 calories a scoop
  • CrainT1
    CrainT1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I personnally like the Isopure Zero Carbs, low in calories and high in protien and great tasting too. You can get them online at amazon.com or local health food/vitamin type stores.