Multivitamin everyday or every other?

Options
Since starting my weight loss program I have taken a multivitamin everyday and my diary is showing very high levels of iron and other nutrients. After doing some research online I have found that it may be better to switch to every other day. I just wanted others' inputs and thoughts!

Thanks guys! :smile:

Replies

• rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you are getting what you need from the foods you are eating (which is the best way), then you should be fine to take your multi every other day. Some vitamins are just flushed out if you have an excess but others build up and can be harmful if you get too much.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Thanks girl! I was hoping that someone else would agree with me. It's all about the group motivation :happy:
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Vitamins are for people who don't eat the right balance of foods, so if you are getting them from food then every other day should be just fine. Listen to your body, you may not need them.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Three things: 1 - If you are over 40 (which by your pic it doesn't look like you are) you should definintely be taking it every day. 2 - If you take it daily cut it in half and take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm and always take it with food - helps get it into your system better. And, by taking 1/2 and 1/2 there is less waste. As the other person said anything your body can't use just gets turned into waste. 3 - If you levels are high there is probably another reason. As stated before, if you body can't use something in a multi-vitamin it just flushes it out. FYI - Just 1% of the population gets the vitamins that our body needs from just food consumption.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Thank you all. I am mostly concerned with my overload of iron to be honest. I am having some gastric side efffects. I believe that I am going to start taking one every other day in the hopes that my body "evens out". Thoughts?
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Some multivitamins contain minerals such as iron and some don't, if it mainly your iron levels you are worried about why not try another type that doesn't contain so much iron.