What if.. Please answer..

Options
I probaly asked this last time but didn't got that enough clear.. Let's just say.
-was 16 years old, crash dieted, lost alot, then I fixed my metabolism by slowly adding calories
-now 18, metabolism fixed, maintaining on 2300

Am I actually able to maintain in a "healthy" way like other people here? Is the calories all that matter in fat gain/loss?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you looking to lose weight or are you looking to maintain?

If you eat more calories than your body needs, you will gain fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors
    If you eat fewer calories than your body needs, you will lose fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you looking to lose weight or are you looking to maintain?

If you eat more calories than your body needs, you will gain fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors
    If you eat fewer calories than your body needs, you will lose fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors

+1
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I probaly asked this last time but didn't got that enough clear.. Let's just say.
    -was 16 years old, crash dieted, lost alot, then I fixed my metabolism by slowly adding calories
    -now 18, metabolism fixed, maintaining on 2300

Am I actually able to maintain in a "healthy" way like other people here? Is the calories all that matter in fat gain/loss?

Yes, you already did ask this, yesterday and you got a bunch of helpful answers.

What are you not understanding?
  • ohlookabear
    Options

Trying to maintain but I was wondering.. how actual fat becomes fat.. going over calories or what
  • WBB55
    Options

Trying to maintain but I was wondering.. how actual fat becomes fat.. going over calories or what

In general, like I said, if you eat more calories than your body needs, you will gain fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors.

Some of those factors are:
    How much of a calorie surplus you're in
    How much protein you eat
    Whether you're already at a healthy weight for your age/height
    Whether you're lifting heavy weights
    Whether you exercise
    Whether you're male/female
    Edit to add: Whether you're still growing due to puberty
  • ohlookabear
    Options

In general, like I said, if you eat more calories than your body needs, you will gain fat and/or muscle, depending on a few factors.

Some of those factors are:
    How much of a calorie surplus you're in
    How much protein you eat
    Whether you're already at a healthy weight for your age/height
    Whether you're lifting heavy weights
    Whether you exercise
    Whether you're male/female
    Edit to add: Whether you're still growing due to puberty

Honestly, I kept asking this because people were saying "you'll gain back if you lose it in a unhealthy way".. I didn't even know back then what calories, what unhealthy, why cardio is important.. I probaly did mistakes.. alot.. and people said that you will gain back if you eat "normal".. what normal does even mean? How can I gain weight if I don't binge.. I restored my metabolism back up.. it was hard.. water retention.. regained 6 lbs out of many.. and now I can maintain on 2300 calories.. those people that said "you'll regain" they actually meant.. "YOU'LL REGAIN because you will binge out of deprivation"?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Even if you lost it in an unhealthy way you won't gain it back unless you eat more calories than you burn.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Honestly, I kept asking this because people were saying "you'll gain back if you lose it in a unhealthy way".. I didn't even know back then what calories, what unhealthy, why cardio is important.. I probaly did mistakes.. alot.. and people said that you will gain back if you eat "normal".. what normal does even mean? How can I gain weight if I don't binge.. I restored my metabolism back up.. it was hard.. water retention.. regained 6 lbs out of many.. and now I can maintain on 2300 calories.. those people that said "you'll regain" they actually meant.. "YOU'LL REGAIN because you will binge out of deprivation"?

If you're not eating more calories than your body needs, you shouldn't gain weight. If you eat 100 calories (that's one medium banana or one can of light beer) more per day than you need, you will gain 10 lbs each year. That's why for some people track during maintenance, to make sure they don't gain that extra 100 calories per day.

Try not to stress. There is no "normal" in life. You are an adult and get to decide what's "normal" for you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    those people that said "you'll regain" they actually meant.. "YOU'LL REGAIN because you will binge out of deprivation"?

They could have meant this, or they could have meant if you were on a very low calorie diet for a long time you could have done some damage to your metabolism, making it easier to gain weight. But hey, you didn't, go forth and maintain.
  • ohlookabear
    Options
    Thank you guys for answering.. actually, that helped me calm down mentally.
  • WBB55
    Options
    Thank you guys for answering.. actually, that helped me calm down mentally.

Just a life tip from Aunt WBB:

You will have a much happier life if you seek internal, self-reinforcement of your decisions and path in life, as opposed to basing your stress on what others think or what you read in a magazine or website. Yes, ask others for their experience, read everything you can from qualified sources/mentors. But in the end, the opinion of your friends and strangers on the internet is not where you need to find justification for your decisions. Wake up tomorrow and do the best job you can. Wake up the next day and do the best job you can. And then do that every day for the rest of your life.