Anyone familiar with Abilify or Topamax?

Options
Has anyone been on Abilify or Topamax? I was on Abilify, but am getting off of it due to excessive weight gain. I was wondering if anyone else had the same side effect? Also, I got prescribed yesterday to Topamax and am anxious to start it. I am being prescribed for compulsiveness and depression. I hear a lot of people lose weight, so that would be a bonus. I am just worried about the "dopamax" aspect of it. Have any of you had any issues or success with losing weight?

Replies

• BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Most of these meds have screwy side effects and I've heard people call Topamax "dopamax" too. I asked about it instead of another mood stabiliser that caused weight gain, but they said Topamax is known for turning people all dopey and causing kidney stones - nice. I stick to Lamotrigine now as it has basically no side effects for me. That is for bipolar and works particularly well for preventing depressive episodes, but I don't know if it could work for compulsiveness and depression. Might be worth asking?
  • LowCarbHighFatNat
    LowCarbHighFatNat Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have done quite a bit of research on it. The side effects are what I am scared of! Thanks for your response :)
  • KnitWit70
    Options
    I was on Topomax for migrains for about a month. I actually lost weight on it, but I felt jittery and dizzy all the time so he had to switch me off it. Ah well... :sad:

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Topamax is known to have some pretty intense side effects, but not everyone has a problem with it. I assume you're taking it for migraines, right? Your doctor prescribed it to you thinking the benefits would outweigh the side effects. Try it, if you can't tolerate it, then tell your doctor you'd like to try something else. I know a few people who have no issues with it, and others who only lasted a few days.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you were not given topamax for migraines. I guess I need to read a bit more carefully before posting!
  • LowCarbHighFatNat
    Options
    Actually, no. I have never had a migraine in my life. I constantly sleep eat and have gained weight due to Abilify. (and poor choices lol) The doctor suggested Topamax for my compulsiveness and as a mood stabilizer....? I have depression and anxiety disorders and a slight form of OCD. I think I did TOO much research because now I am terrified of not being able to remember where I am going etc. I am getting married in October, so I think the Dr was trying to help me out as well with the weight loss before then. I have been counting calories and working out and can't seem to drop the weight. ( Although binge eating carbs at 3am does NOT help) I had no idea this was contributed to Abilify until my appointment the other day! Of course I will take some ownership- it is a little comforting to know there was a driving force behind it!

Thanks again for all the responses :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Actually, no. I have never had a migraine in my life. I constantly sleep eat and have gained weight due to Abilify. (and poor choices lol) The doctor suggested Topamax for my compulsiveness and as a mood stabilizer....? I have depression and anxiety disorders and a slight form of OCD. I think I did TOO much research because now I am terrified of not being able to remember where I am going etc. I am getting married in October, so I think the Dr was trying to help me out as well with the weight loss before then. I have been counting calories and working out and can't seem to drop the weight. ( Although binge eating carbs at 3am does NOT help) I had no idea this was contributed to Abilify until my appointment the other day! Of course I will take some ownership- it is a little comforting to know there was a driving force behind it!

Thanks again for all the responses :)

I tend to read up on meds too much and worry about side effects too much, also. Sometimes I think I end up with side effects as more of a placebo effect from worrying so much. Hopefully you don't have a bad reaction to it and it helps. Most people who take it do lose weight, so there's always that!
  • LowCarbHighFatNat
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one! It's nice to know what I am getting into, however I tend to freak myself out! And now I am wondering if people are even prescribed this for reasons other than seizures or migraines....
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Most of these meds have screwy side effects and I've heard people call Topamax "dopamax" too. I asked about it instead of another mood stabiliser that caused weight gain, but they said Topamax is known for turning people all dopey and causing kidney stones - nice. I stick to Lamotrigine now as it has basically no side effects for me. That is for bipolar and works particularly well for preventing depressive episodes, but I don't know if it could work for compulsiveness and depression. Might be worth asking?

My son uses these meds for his epilepsy. He was briefly on Topamax, but we took him off of it quickly. He was either raging or zombie-like. He was 4 at the time - it's crazy to see someone that little in a rage. Other moms of kids with epilepsy have seen weight loss and, after long term use, severe glaucoma, caused by Topamax. It must be really beneficial to some, because it's prescribed a lot.

My son is on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) right now. It has the least amount of side effects out of all the meds we have tried.

I think it's interesting that these drugs are used for such different conditions. I never knew they had other uses until I saw some posts on here.
  • LowCarbHighFatNat
    Options
    Interesting, I have never heard of the rage side effect. I will definitely be on the look out for that-- I find it interesting as well I was put on it for "mood stabilizing" if it can increase rage tendencies. THanks for your response!
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was on Topamax for epilepsy for a while. The weight loss was a nice side effect (though, in retrospect, I don't think I was eating enough to be healthy); what I called spaghetti brain (spells of rapid, jumbled thoughts) was not nice.

That said, you might tolerate Topamax just fine. Keep an eye on yourself, and talk to your doctor if the side effects outweigh the benefits. We are special snowflakes in this instance!
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    I have wondered if the rage came from him being a cognitively/developmentally delayed 4-year-old not knowing how to deal with the way Topamax made him feel. Rage may not be a normal side effect, it was our experience with it.
  • Julslilly1
    Julslilly1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    redgirl86 wrote: »
    Has anyone been on Abilify or Topamax? I was on Abilify, but am getting off of it due to excessive weight gain. I was wondering if anyone else had the same side effect? Also, I got prescribed yesterday to Topamax and am anxious to start it. I am being prescribed for compulsiveness and depression. I hear a lot of people lose weight, so that would be a bonus. I am just worried about the "dopamax" aspect of it. Have any of you had any issues or success with losing weight?

I couldn't handle Ability. Weight Gain and other problems. I started Topamax last week. My doctor said to take it before bed to hero with that ... however my insomniac started back up although I'm not maniac. I take it for bipolar. One big side effect I noticed today since increasing my dosage is increased energy but decreased coordination and balance. I hope this works for you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm on Topomax (150 mg daily) for migraines and have been on it for a while now. Yes, the weight loss is nice, but the appetite suppression wears off, as do the dopomax side effects. Give it some time before you decide if it's working for you or not.