Slow Cooker, Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Options
R_Queenie
R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2 inch pieces [i don't peel mine and cut smaller]
1 1/2 cups fat free milk [i have used almond unsweetened to save calories- even powdered milk - you wont notice]
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar [i have also used vanilla syrup and less sugar]
1/2 tablespoons butter, optional [i have used coconut oil to coat crock pot]
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed [sometimes omit, but always add 1 tablespoon chia seed]
1/4 tsp salt
[original recipe ends there but sometimes I add 2 mashed bananas, some dried blueberries, or other fruit to vary the flavor]

Coat inside of 3 1/2 quart of larger slow cooker with cooking spray. [or place smaller glass bowl in water and cook ingredients in bowl for easier cleanup] Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx 7 hours. When done you can top with chopped nuts or milk.

Makes 6 1 cup servings. I dish them into 1 cup containers - let cool. Just reheat to desired warmth and you have breakfast for most of the week!!! The consistency is very thick--like eat it with a fork thick -- so if you want more of a traditional cereal try 3/4 cup oats and add some milk as you reheat.

Enjoy! Original recipe on www.theyummylife.com/recipes/105 With 7 3/4 cup servings as written 149 calories. With my additions and 1 cup serving calories at 208.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Have to try. Thank you
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have been making overnight crockpot steel-cut oats w/ almond milk. In the am, I add lite pancake syrup for that maple flavor. But, this sounds much better!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    awesome, thank you much !
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We have made this and it is delicious!! I really prefer the texture of steel cut over regular oatmeal. The only problem was it smells SO good while cooking, so the delicious smell woke us up too early, lol! So I will now do it during the day and reheat in the a.m.! Thanks for posting!
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I love this recipe:)
    I leave the apples on top to get crispy.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    sounds like I will have to make this!!
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've made it, it is delicious! I make it with the liner, so it doesn't get as caramelized, but it tastes great and cleanup is a breeze.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try this but I don't have time to eat breakfast in the mornings. :sad:
  • Reader56
    Options
    You could try refrigerator oatmeal - it won't waft thru the house and wake you up! I hate it when that happens. I don't make this in jars. I make a batch - usually the applesauce kind - and measure.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

And for some reason, this kind doesn't give me heartburn like hot, cooked cereals do. For which I am glad because I really like oatmeal.

Best.