How often do you do strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I strength train 2-3 days a week. Although I'm struggling with losing more weight right now people are still coming up to me and telling me how much thinner and shapely I look , yet haven't dropped a pound in a couple of months. I know I'm not eating what I should but I am religous about exercising and despite everything, it shows. In addition to the strength training I do cardio 5 days a week.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out, I do at least 20 minutes of strength training. I alternate days, doing upper on one, lower on the next day. I always do abs and back, since I know that's a weak area for me. Unlike most people, I don't have a typical routine, I pretty much mix it up each time I go. I think it keeps my body guessing.

I definately see more definition in my body and I lost 2% body fat in the last month!

Shannon
  • roxanea
    Options
    I do strength training 3 days a week for 30 minutes. Form is definitly the most important thing to remember when doing strength training. Don't worry so much on how much you can do, because each time you do strength training you will get stronger. Over time you will start to see a differance in your body. Just take your time.
  • SparkleKittie
    Options
    I do forty minutes of circuit training twice a week. It's helped a lot. I can tell.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    My arms & legs definitely need work..arms need more toning as well as strength.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I would suggest investing in a few sessions with a good personal trainer to teach you proper form. Start with 30 mins. a day 3 times a week. I would not mix cardio with weight lifting on the same day if you are looking to add muscles growth... it sends your body confusing signals.

As you become more educated in lifting techniques and increase your weights as well as your workout duration, you may notice something many of the more serious weight lifters do... the endorphin rush. This is the equivalent to the "runners hight" that serious runners get. It is a high that rushes through your body and feels like you are on drugs.

I get this every time I lift. So getting the ambition to go to the gym really isn't difficult for me. In fact, the hard part is finding the desire to leave.

Give it a try... and give it time. Get educated and listen to your body. Strength training is very good for you... it adds muscle, strengthens connective tissue, increases bone density, improves neural pathways and just feels incredible. It also looks awesome when you lose enough weight to see the tone.

Keep up with your walking... but mix it up with weights and you will see some exceptional results.

Best of luck!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    One hour of strength training and an hour of cardio five times a week. I alternate upper body, lower body, and core days, so that I don't overwork any one muscle group. The only way to improve is to keep at it!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I would suggest investing in a few sessions with a good personal trainer to teach you proper form. Start with 30 mins. a day 3 times a week. I would not mix cardio with weight lifting on the same day if you are looking to add muscles growth... it sends your body confusing signals.

As you become more educated in lifting techniques and increase your weights as well as your workout duration, you may notice something many of the more serious weight lifters do... the endorphin rush. This is the equivalent to the "runners hight" that serious runners get. It is a high that rushes through your body and feels like you are on drugs.

I get this every time I lift. So getting the ambition to go to the gym really isn't difficult for me. In fact, the hard part is finding the desire to leave.

Give it a try... and give it time. Get educated and listen to your body. Strength training is very good for you... it adds muscle, strengthens connective tissue, increases bone density, improves neural pathways and just feels incredible. It also looks awesome when you lose enough weight to see the tone.

Keep up with your walking... but mix it up with weights and you will see some exceptional results.

Best of luck!

As much as that sounds like an excellent idea, I can't go afford one or to go anywhere right now. All i can try to do is watch some of the trainers online on exercise TV or Wii fit or something. :smile:
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    If affordability is an issue, pick up a book or DVD at the library and take notes. Also, lots of gyms have roaming trainers who work the floor to help people out (putting away weights, spotting someone alone, etc). If/when you see one, pull them aside and ask for a single tip... or for them to check your form on one exercise. Be very appreciative of their time and input. You would be surprised how many trainers will give you free advice if you treat them with respect and listen to them.

The other possibility is to watch someone who seems to know what they are doing (usually this is someone who is very focused, lifting slowly instead of swinging, doing a variety of exercises, taking time to warm up) and ask them for advice. If you ask just one question and listen to the answer and then don't press for a lot more of their time, they will likely help you out. I don't wear headphones at the gym so that I am more approachable to people. However, I do sometimes have to interrupt someone if they just want to carry on a conversation or talk to me because I am there to get a workout. But one or two bits of advice is never too much... and I will welcome them again when I see them the next time.

I remember something I read once - the people who get the best service at a restaurant are not the biggest tippers. They are the people who are most sociable with the waitstaff... smiling, appreciative, inclusive. It is impressive how powerful a smile and a word of appreciation can be.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Tue, Thu and Sun for me. Usually takes about an hour. This is the beginners full body workout that I do.

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Deadlift 2 x 8
    Hang Clean 3 x 8

Work on the three mores. More weight, more reps or more sets. Once I can achieve the sets and reps then I up the weight. Working great for me :)

Jump on youtube for exercise instructions.