Healthy-er Banana Nut Bread.

WildFlower7
WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm not one for sweets but I love to bake and at this time of year I have 3 seperate baking nites 1 with my kids 1 with my mom and sister and this year I'm throwing a girls wine and baking nite where we all will make enough of our favorite holiday treat for the other girls to bing home to their family too and were all leaning toward the healthier holiday treats.
The one sweet I can handle at Christamas time is Banana nut bread and I have a recipe that I've used since I was 16 when I got my first place and started baking on my own for the holidays which isn't the healthiest recipe!

Any good one's you all have that you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated!! :flowerforyou:

And even if you don't have a Banana Nut Bread recipe a festive treat that you love that's on the healthier side would be appreciated too!:bigsmile:

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Oooh! I have one! I love this recipe:

A healthier alternative to traditional banana bread or banana muffins. Moist and delicious.

Serves 12

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3/4 Cups flour (or rice flour, for a gluten free version)
    6 Tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend (I know Stevia is healthier, but I think it tastes nasty)
    1 Jar baby food applesauce (just over 1/2 Cup)
    2 over-ripe mashed bananas (they should be pretty mushy)
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons almond milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon ground flax seed
    1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    A pinch of salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cloves
    8 crushed almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, flax seed, baking powder, salt, spices and stir.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, almond milk, applesauce. Mix well.

Pour wet mix into bowl with dry mix. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Spray bread pan or muffin pan with canola oil spray (takes only a few seconds and adds a negligible amount of fat). Spoon mixture into muffin pan or pour into bread pan. Sprinkle crushed almonds on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes for muffins or 45-55 minutes for bread (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).

Nutrition facts for the regular version (gluten free is similar but not identical):
    Calories: 147
    Carbs: 27
    Fat: 2 grams
    Protein: 4 grams
    Fiber: 2 grams
    Potassium: 100 mg
    Sodium: 210 mg
  • :happy: Hey! I love to bake during to holidays too! My hubby loves banana nut bread and I am always looking for ways to cut calories so if you can send me the recipe I would be grateful! I will have him try it without telling him it is a healthier version and then after he tells me he likes it, I will tell him the truth. This has worked before...lol. I also liked your idea of having friends over for a baking party and everyone gets ot try something new. I might just try that one myself!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    I just made a banana bread with coconut lime glaze from cooking light...yum

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001654705

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
    * 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/4 cup butter, softened
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
    * 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    * 3 tablespoons dark rum
    * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    * Cooking spray
    * 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
    * 1/2 cup powdered sugar
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    193 (21% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.6g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.3g)
    Protein:
    2.9g
    Carbohydrate:
    35g
    Fiber:
    1.1g
    Cholesterol:
    35mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    179mg
    Calcium:
    15mg
  • Since I don't have kids, I am going to have to ask this question? What is the difference between baby food applesauce and regular, no sugar added, apple sauce? I always use the regular in the snack cups for my recipes so i don't have to open and use a whole jar quickly. would using the baby food jars be different nutritionally? Or would they react in the recipe differently?
  • nisijam5
    I think the baby ones are more pureed
  • CoryIda
    Since I don't have kids, I am going to have to ask this question? What is the difference between baby food applesauce and regular, no sugar added, apple sauce? I always use the regular in the snack cups for my recipes so i don't have to open and use a whole jar quickly. would using the baby food jars be different nutritionally? Or would they react in the recipe differently?

It's more finely pureed - you can use regular applesauce, too - but definitely the unsweetened (no sugar added usually has fake sugar added, and you don't need it to be any sweeter than it will be anyway). I was really surprised that the applesauce worked so well in place of the oil - my family couldn't tell the difference!
    Anyway, the regular cups might change the nutritional content a little bit, but not much - after all, it's just a 1/2 cup divided by 12 servings, so it should be pretty comparable.
  • I think the baby ones are more pureed

wow... see there is proof that i shouldn't be allowed to have kids (thank goodness i have no intention...lol)... i never would have considered they needed to be more pureed than the regular ones are for babies. :-)
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Banana Bread 20 servings Cal Carb Fat Protein Cholesterol Calcium
    Bananas - Raw, 6 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 630 162 2 8 0 4

Great Value - Applesauce, 1 cup 180 44 0 0 0 0

Generic - Sugar White Granulated, 1.75 cup 1,260 350 0 0 0 0

Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 4 cup 1,600 352 0 48 0 0

Egg - Large Whole, 4 egg 300 0 20 25 846 0

If you're interested in the directions email me and I'll give them to you.

Total: 3970 908 22 81 846 4
    Per Serving: 199 45 1 4 42 0
  • Since I don't have kids, I am going to have to ask this question? What is the difference between baby food applesauce and regular, no sugar added, apple sauce? I always use the regular in the snack cups for my recipes so i don't have to open and use a whole jar quickly. would using the baby food jars be different nutritionally? Or would they react in the recipe differently?

It's more finely pureed - you can use regular applesauce, too - but definitely the unsweetened (no sugar added usually has fake sugar added, and you don't need it to be any sweeter than it will be anyway). I was really surprised that the applesauce worked so well in place of the oil - my family couldn't tell the difference!
    Anyway, the regular cups might change the nutritional content a little bit, but not much - after all, it's just a 1/2 cup divided by 12 servings, so it should be pretty comparable.

yeah i always use the stuff that doesn't have any added sugar (you know... the kind where the ingredient list just says "apples." ) I will definitely have to try out your recipe. Banana bread makes me happy. :-)
  • WildFlower7
    AMAZING! Thank you so so much! Any more healthy holiday treats are always welcome too! I can't wait to try these out! Thanks a bunch!!:flowerforyou:
  • CoryIda
    I don't have "holiday" specific recipes, but I looove messing with recipes and making them healthier - if you are interested, I can get you the recipes for blueberry muffins and apple cinnamon muffins - both of which only have approximately 100 calories each.
  • WildFlower7
    I don't have "holiday" specific recipes, but I looove messing with recipes and making them healthier - if you are interested, I can get you the recipes for blueberry muffins and apple cinnamon muffins - both of which only have approximately 100 calories each.

Mmmmmmm yes yes please do. I make muffins for my kids quite often so I'd love to hear some healthier ways of making them ;) Thank you!
  • CoryIda

Mmmmmmm yes yes please do. I make muffins for my kids quite often so I'd love to hear some healthier ways of making them ;) Thank you!

Here's a link to the apple cinnamon muffins, and there are links to my other muffin recipes in that thread. I hope you like them!
    I should probably mention that I am allergic to milk, so everything is dairy-free -- I am a BIG fan of almond milk. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128265-low-fat-low-calorie-apple-cinnamon-muffins
  • WildFlower7

Here's a link to the apple cinnamon muffins, and there are links to my other muffin recipes in that thread. I hope you like them!
    I should probably mention that I am allergic to milk, so everything is dairy-free -- I am a BIG fan of almond milk. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128265-low-fat-low-calorie-apple-cinnamon-muffins

Thank you so much!
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Bump
  • nisijam5
    I also have a cranberry upside down cake that I tried this week

*****Changes I made were to cook for less time, about 40 minutes...increase the topping ingredients to 1/2 c. packed brown sugar, 3T Butter and 9 oz of cranberries

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001932681

Ingredients
    * Topping:
    * Cooking spray
    * 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2 tablespoons butter
    * 6 ounces fresh or frozen, thawed, cranberries

* Cake:
    * 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 2 large egg yolks
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
    * 2 large egg whites

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare topping, lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Heat brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Pour sugar mixture into prepared cake pan, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Arrange cranberries evenly over sugar mixture.

3. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

4. Beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form using clean, dry beaters. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Spoon the batter over the cranberries, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Place a serving plate upside down on top of cake, and invert the cake pan onto the plate. Let stand 5 minutes, and remove the pan. Serve warm.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    Fat:
    10.6g (sat 6.3g,mono 2.8g,poly 0.5g)
    Protein:
    3.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    37.1g
    Fiber:
    1.1g
    Cholesterol:
    61mg
    Iron:
    1.1mg
    Sodium:
    217mg
    Calcium:
    74mg

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2009
  • CoryIda
    Oooh! I've never heard of cranberry upside down cake - I love cranberries! I will have to try this, but tweak it to be dairy-free.
This discussion has been closed.