Do you have a Fitbit or Jawbone Up?

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
I'm making the plunge and I believe I've narrowed down to these two.

Which one do you have?
How often do you wear it?
Is it comfortable?
How accurate do you feel it to be? (Not to be confused with how accurate is it, which is something I've researched on my own)
How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations?
Do you use a phone app to integrate?
If so, do you love it?
Does it work well?
Was it easy to set up?
What is your favorite part of these?
Do you wear it when you exercise?
Would you recommend it?

Replies

• BxChelle
    BxChelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FITBIT!!!!! Soooo, I love my FitBit! I wear it EVERYDAY!!!! I have the One. I started with an Ultra but the casing cracked an FitBit replaced it with a One. The customer service is EXCELLENT!!! I know I sound like I work for FitBit, but I honestly don't. Just love the product. It keeps me motivated & I've found an awesome FB group that is VERY motivational!
    In short the FitBit keeps me accountable to ME! I clip it to my bra & you only know I'm wearing it if I share that information with you. Oh! It also sync with MFP & Withings (& Aria scales). Walgreens has a great partnership with FitBit too! I sync it to my phone and I have all day stats on the go.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I have had both.
    My jawbone died 2 times before I gave up.
    I had two fitbit clip-ons - one died and they sent me a replacement, no charge. I lost the other (clip on bra, so its doomed to slip.)
    I now have a fitbit flex - and my only complaint is that it isn't gorgeous.
    I use phone and computer app.
  • JHPlunkett
    JHPlunkett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and I love it! I wear it every day, it tucks nicely on the inside of my belt so I don't accidentally knock it off and lose it. It has really motivated me to get up and move more!
  • Taegre
    Taegre Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and I've worn it every day since I got it. It's super easy for me, I just clip it to my bra and I forget about it for the rest of the day. It's super comfortable, I don't even feel it. The battery life is ridiculous, I charge it once every 8 days.

It's pretty accurate for steps, less so for floors and distance. I don't get many false steps when driving, but I do get false floors a lot. One is more accurate than a wristband tracker because its attached to the body rather than the arm.

I've been using the fitbit app since I got a phone that could sync with it when I'm bored or curious. But it's connected to Pact and it's connected to MyFitnessPal. The apps are perfectly functional. It was super easy to set up.

I like the sleep tracker, it's pretty accurate for me.

I do wear it when I exercise. If I had a wristband tracker I wouldn't be able to wear it during karate, but since the One is a clip, I just clip it to my sports bra and away we go.

I would highly recommend it if you're someone who likes to read and collect and analyze data.
  • PowerMulch
    Options
    I just got a FitBit One this week. I started using it yesterday.

It seems pretty accurate and I like that it comes with a sleep band that I can use to track sleep as well. I haven't had it long enough to fully judge the product, but I'm happy with it so far and it was very easy to set up on both the computer and as an app on my phone.
  • BxChelle
    BxChelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the FitBit Flex by Tori Burch??? STUNNING!!!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have? Fitbit Flex

How often do you wear it? Every day

Is it comfortable? Yeah, it's not bad at all.

How accurate do you feel it to be? (Not to be confused with how accurate is it, which is something I've researched on my own) I think it is quite accurate, but I wish it would track other activity that doesn't include steps, like cycling.

How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations? They're comparable.

Do you use a phone app to integrate? Yes. Android.

If so, do you love it? It's not awful. Can be a little hard to navigate around, but once I learned where everything is and how it would sync with MFP, I'm learning to like it more.

Does it work well? Yup!

Was it easy to set up? Yes.

What is your favorite part of these? I love seeing the sleep tracker info the next morning.

Do you wear it when you exercise? Yes, though my wrist gets extra-sweaty. No worries, just wear it with you in the shower to get all the sweat off, dry, and you're good to go.

Would you recommend it? Yes. The only thing I wish it had was a clock. If I'm going to be wearing something around my wrist, I'd like it to also tell time.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have? - Fitbit
    How often do you wear it? - evrey day
    Is it comfortable? - yes
    How accurate do you feel it to be? within 10%
    How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations? - Have not done a comparison
    Do you use a phone app to integrate? - Yes (android)
    If so, do you love it? - Love is a strong word....but I like it...it helps motivate me
    Does it work well? - It does what it claims to do
    Was it easy to set up? - very
    What is your favorite part of these? - the dashboard
    Do you wear it when you exercise? - yes, but it's for tracking steps and not heart rate or for weight resistance exercises. So if you are tracking calories burned throughout the day, you should be using other methods as well.

Would you recommend it? Yes
  • ValerieFort
    Options
    Which one do you have? Polar Loop
    How often do you wear it? constant
    Is it comfortable? yep!
    How accurate do you feel it to be? Feels accurate.
    How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations? Very close! Especially with my H7 HRM connected
    Do you use a phone app to integrate? No, but I hear it's coming soon.
    If so, do you love it?
    Does it work well? 99% of the time!
    Was it easy to set up? I don't even think about it
    What is your favorite part of these? The fireworks when I hit goal. :)
    Do you wear it when you exercise? Yep...with my H7
    Would you recommend it? Yes. One of the few that are waterproof and connect to a HRM. When it finally connects to MFP it will be perfect (supposedly this summer)
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip that I attach to the middle.of my bra. I have worn it there so long I don't even feel it anymore.

I feel it's pretty accurate. I use the app to sync it and it keeps me motivated to move.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit (one of the older ones but bluetooth sync'd and clip on) and I have a Jawbone. Since I got the clip on fitbit version, i kept forgetting it at home because i would take it off for the shower and just leave it on the counter ultimately defeating the purpose of getting the darn thing. It also didn't track sleeping like the Jawbone which is a feature that I like.

Both only do cardio measurements better than strength training measurements. However, my tipping point is that my Jawbone is wearable on the wrist so you get used to having on all the time and less likely to forget it.

I liked both apps, but the Jawbone only works with the iPhone 5 with 7.0 or higher IOS now so it stopped syncing with my older Apple products.

I'm in favor of the Jawbone but mostly because it is wearable and costs less than the wearable Fitbit.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Which one do you have?
    Jawbone Up, though it's the older version and does not sync wirelessly.

How often do you wear it?
    Only take it off to shower.

Is it comfortable?
    I wear it on my ankle (I feel it's more accurate that way) and I hardly notice it anymore. The first few weeks I did, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

How accurate do you feel it to be?
    I ran some personal tests on it because I thought it wasn't accurately reporting steps. In the end, I figured out that while it tracks my steps very accurately the distance/mileage calculated is way off. Primarily because it does not accurately measure treadmill distance, which when you think about it kind of makes sense.

How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations?
    I've never done any comparisons. After my personal tests, I'm confident my steps are logged accurately. I just ignore the distance/mileage.

Do you use a phone app to integrate?
    Yes

If so, do you love it? It's fine for what it is. I prefer MFP for logging food/counting calories. They integrate together so that is a nice feature. I just like seeing my overall step count at the end of the day. I sync my band once or twice a day.

Does it work well? I think so, though, if you read reviews you'll hear about the dreaded "unable to connect to network" error. I've gotten this a few times and to fix it, I log out and log back in. Fixes it every time.

Was it easy to set up? Yes.

What is your favorite part of these? Ever since I started wearing it, it motivates me to move more. I work a desk job 4 days a week and I've started taking short breaks to take a walk just to up my step count! lol - I hate seeing low numbers! On Saturdays I usually hit at least 15-17K steps! I have a friend that just hit 20K steps in one day!

Do you wear it when you exercise? Yes.

Would you recommend it? Yes, but not necessarily the Jawbone. I recommend a fitness tracker in general. If you read Amazon reviews, it has gotten terrible reviews. It seems most break after awhile for seemingly no reason. Mine is just under a year old and it's been working great. So maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe once I hit the 1 year mark it'll die. Who knows. I most likely will get another fitness tracker if this one bites the dust.
  • kevinuc74
    kevinuc74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit flex and love it.

I wear it 24/7. The only time I take it off is to charge it or when I go swimming. You can wear it in the shower too.

It's very comfortable. I'm used to wearing a watch, so it doesn't even feel like I have anything on my left wrist.

I think it's very accurate with my steps for walking and running, distance traveled. It doesn't really register what is done on the eliptical, but that's fine with me as it states that when you read about it.

I think the numbers are close to what is online and estimated.

I mainly use my laptop but I do have the phone app as well. I'm just not a big mobile guy, so that is the reason I use my laptop mostly.

I do like the fitbit and the program/app.

It was simple to set up. Couldn't have been any easier.

It's just a great reminder and a real eye opener to see how many steps you are taking during the day without pushing yourself. I have a job that has me at my desk most of the day. So the FitBit has gotten me into the routine of taking the long ways around the office, to go for walks during lunch, walk at night, etc. It's like a game which I love. I feel the need to always hit my daily goals on it. Plus, I love the sleep tracker. It's interesting because sleep is so important to losing weight and I never really knew how long I was sleeping or restless throughout a night.

Yes, I wear it when I exercise, work, do yard work, sleep, etc.

I would DEFINITELY recommend the FitBit Flex. It's awesome. I love it and it's definitely helping me on my get healthy, lose weight journey.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
  • Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Q:Which one do you have?
    A: Fitbit Flex

Q:How often do you wear it?
    A: All day, every day :)

Q:Is it comfortable?
    A: Yes, but the clasp *is* notorious for being hard to use the first couple times. I personally have plenty of hand and finger strength so I haven't had problems using it, but just something to be aware of.

Q:How accurate do you feel it to be? (Not to be confused with how accurate is it, which is something I've researched on my own)
    A: I'd say pretty accurate. Seems to do a good job with walking/running/jumping activities, but again, there seem to be issues with any kind of "gliding" motion capture (like biking or elliptical), so be aware you may need to do manual entry for anything that doesn't have a footfall type impact for it to register.

Q:How do the numbers compare to online calculators / estimations?
    A: Its working well for me, and seems to keep up with all other data I've laboriously collected over the years. Your results might vary depending on how pinpoint accurate you need something like this to be.

Q:Do you use a phone app to integrate?
    A: Yes yes yes! Phone apps (for both Fitbit and MFP) have been very helpful for me.

Q:If so, do you love it?
    A: Yes! :)

Q:Does it work well?
    A: So far so good. I personally have experienced no problems, which in my book qualifies as "working well".

Q:Was it easy to set up?
    A: Yes, and I'm not a super-computer whiz either.

Q:What is your favorite part of these?
    A: Tracks stuff automatically and updates info easily. And once I coupled it with MFP it got even more accurate and easy to use.

Q:Do you wear it when you exercise?
    A: Yes. I do the Shaun T Insanity program daily, and it works well for me. Fitbit Flex is waterproof too, so my sweat doesn't kill it, which is nice.

Q:Would you recommend it?
    A: As a general recommendation? Yes. Personally I love mine and enjoy the data and results it provides.

But I'd also go with the caveat that everyone will have different results and opinions on utility depending on how they use the unit, how closely they follow the manufacturer's instructions for that use (because seriously, many product complaints often stem from user ignorance and error, not faulty products... lol... just ask anyone who has ever worked a help desk or a retail counter...) and of course their own personal needs and accuracy requirements. Not every product is for everybody, and sometimes it takes a while to find the one for you.

With all that said: yeah, I'd recommend an activity tracker and its associated programs as a useful fitness tool. :)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    yes!!! they are so expensive though!
    I started looking on etsy, instead! :)
  • stregachess
    stregachess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and went with Jawbone Up24

I’ve had it two weeks and only take it off to shower.

Rather than answer the question I’ll give you the low down on why I went with Jawbone.

After doing a lot of research I was pretty sure that it was more accurate to counting actual steps. Side by side product testing showed the Fitbit with give you more “steps” per day for the same distance. The sleep mode for Jawbone with track deep sleep very light sleep, it also allows for powernaps and will only wake you once you fall out of REM sleep.

Also after reviewing the phone apps I preferred the Jawbone interface.

Regardless of what tracker you use if you use myfitnesspal and a product line mapmyfitness you’ll do fine.