Anybody following a low carb way of eating?

Options
Just wondering if anybody else was following a low carb way of eating. I have done it in the past with fantastic results. I had lost close to 50 lbs. back in 2006/2007. Unfortunately, I have been slacking off for the past few years and have gained 30 lbs., of the original 50 lbs., I had lost back. I didn't actually follow Atkins or South Beach back then. Just kind of did my own thing with great success. I kept my carb intake to probably around 60g per day and the weight came off slowly but, it did come off. Anyway, was wondering if anybody who is following a low carb way of eating would be interested in becoming friends on here so we can support/motivate each other...... :)

Replies

• jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb but try and cut the amount of carb I eat at night and get more for morning and lunch.

I did Atkins many many years ago and although I did lose a lot of weight at the time it left me terribly depressed. not sure if that was just the affect it seemed to have on me... so I decided this time that I wasn't going to do any "diet" that meant keeping out a food group

good luck
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nothing shreds off the last 10 pounds like low carbing. I lost about 40 on carb deficit and when I stalled near the end I started cycling carbs. Pro body builders have been doing it for decades because it works and fast!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat low carb and yes it works. Send me a friend request, I'm on everyday. I love low carb.

**edited because I can't spell...
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mark........I do eat carbs. I just try to get my carbs from complex carbs (such as veggies) as opposed to (what I call) quick acting carbs. I am not following Atkins or South Beach to the point where I keep my carb intake to 20g or less. I just more or less use it as a somewhat quideline. Basically, what I'm doing is "staying away from the "white" stuff and things made from them" ...i.e. potatoes, rice, sugar, flour, chips, cookies, cake, etc. That's not saying I will NEVER eat these things again because, let's be realistic, I know I will. I just need to learn portion control as I go along. For instance, instead of eating a whole sleeve of cookies.......have 1 or 2 just to take away the craving. Either way, it worked for me before so I'm hoping it will work again. Only this time I have to look at it as a life-style change and not just a fad to lose weight and then go back to the way I was eating. At 52 years old, it's getting harder and harder for this weight to come off..........:laugh:
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Either way, it worked for me before so I'm hoping it will work again. Only this time I have to look at it as a life-style change and not just a fad to lose weight and then go back to the way I was eating. At 52 years old, it's getting harder and harder for this weight to come off..........:laugh:
    Don't let the naysayers get you down. There's no scientific evidence whatsoever to back up claims that eating low carb is bad. For that matter, there's no evidence that eating high carb is necessarily bad either, rather it's about what the person is eating and you can certainly eat healthy on either a low or high carb diet.

The big thing is to do what works for you and what you will be able to stick with long term. I'm currently doing sugar free/wheat free which ultimately ends up being low carb (always < 80 g per day), but that still leaves open a wide range of food choices.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs but I eat natural carbs. Lots of rice and some potatoes. I don't really eat bread or desserts anymore unless it's a very special occasion. To be honest my stomach doesn't like that stuff anymore and I'd rather not be miserable all night with indigestion. Funny how our bodies dictate what's good for us and what's not! Anway, I say eat natural and toss the processed stuff. I've lost 64 lbs so far eating this way.

Oh! Actually I do eat one treat every night. Dark chocolate chips! I eat 1 serving and it satisfies me and makes me feel like I'm eating something luxurious :)
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    Yeah.......I'm not doing Atkins where you can't have more than 20g per day. I'd say I average somewhere around 50g - 60g net carbs per day. Some days less........some days more.
  • Damir_Poljak
    Damir_Poljak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lots of raw vegetables and fruit, mostly for snacks, that way I intake lots of fibres that helps with digestion system. Also that means I get plenty of carbs. It works fine for me cuz I get to 40-50% percent if carbs. Also my protein is around 30% and fat close 20%. This style works for me very well, I eat every 2 hours, don't feel hungry and with exercise I am getting slowly to my goals. I don't think that getting on low carb will work for me now.
    Best of luck
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i eat low carb too, i've sent you a friend request :)
  • LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carb way of eating, and I love it. I am honestly excited to eat the food every day! I am currently doing a short term very low calorie, very low fat diet (as directed by my nutritionist) that leads into the longer term goal to maintain my new weight and get back to low carb. So right now I miss my regular low carb meals, and I have no idea how people do low fat long term!

FYI Here is a good piece of research that looked into low carb if you haven't seen it: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
  • sallyadando1
    sallyadando1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did Atkin's a few year's ago, loved it, and lost a fair bit on it. I've recently decided to cut out bread, pasta, rice, etc, and 4 days on, I already feel less bloated, will weigh in after a week and see if I lose anything, have been stuck on for a few weeks on low cal diet.
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    Good for you, Sally.........that's how I started years ago. I cut out all the "white stuff" and anything made from it...... :)
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    Lettee4.........thanx for the friend request. I just accepted it...... :)
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    Thanx for the link, LeahMaria. I'm going to go check that out..... :)
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anybody else was following a low carb way of eating. I have done it in the past with fantastic results. I had lost close to 50 lbs. back in 2006/2007. Unfortunately, I have been slacking off for the past few years and have gained 30 lbs., of the original 50 lbs., I had lost back. I didn't actually follow Atkins or South Beach back then. Just kind of did my own thing with great success. I kept my carb intake to probably around 60g per day and the weight came off slowly but, it did come off. Anyway, was wondering if anybody who is following a low carb way of eating would be interested in becoming friends on here so we can support/motivate each other...... :)

Yes. Following low carb high fat. I was on injections for diabetes and opted to go off my injections altogether and decrease my oral meds to half or less. I have no choice but to keep my carbs below the 30 net grams else have high blood sugars. So, I am in this with you. Sending a friends request, as I have few LCHF friends currently.
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Muscles_and_lipstick Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I follow Carb Nite and keep my carbs under 20g everyday unless I am having my carb nite. Then it will be considerably more.
    I've sent you and a couple of others friend requests :)
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm following a low carb plan as well. I'll send you a friend request. :)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I eat lower carb... What I mean by that is weightloss is purely driven by calories and when I want to lose weight, I eat protein (maybe even a little bit more) and fat at a certain level (regardless of weightloss, weight gain, or maintaining) and drop my calories in carbs from where I maintain to my desired deficit. For me this still puts me around the 150-170g range of carb intake whereas my normal range would be closer to 300g of carbs daily. Where those carbs come from is moot from a caloric point of view (whether it's white rice, brown rice, pizza, broccoli, etc...). From a food volume and micronutrient point of view, it makes a world of difference (i.e.. 200 calories of broccoli compared to 200 calories of pizza...that is a "mountain" of broccoli compared to 1 slice of pizza, but there is nothing wrong with eating the pizza if you are staying within your caloric goals).

At the end of the day, it's all about what you can adhere to though. If you can adhere better to shifting those calories even further to lower carb levels and in turn upping calories in protein and/or fat, then you are still achieving the same goal. I personally just don't like to restrict food items, but that's me.