Goal Help!

Options
I haven't been logging my food for a while... and I'm going to try to get back into it. I've been kinda playing with my goals as mfp sets me around 1380 - and when I eat that little I don't lose at all. I've also increased my fiber goal a little. Trying to decide if I should up my protein goal and/or bring down my carb goal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! My diary is public :)

I am 5' 10''

SW 255
CW 232.6

I exercise 5-6 days a week for an hour. Mainly cardio. Any other questions let me know :) My weight loss has stalled again... HELP!

Replies

• Uptopargolf
    Options
    Well what are you're ratios set at?

stay at 1380. Do you're exercise. Perhaps cut the carbs a little bit? Maybe, 55% Protein, 20% Fat, and 30% Carbs, give or take.

Personally I use 50/25/25. However I can't live this way forever it is just to drop weight while on a diet.

Remember you want to choose something that you can do for the REST OF YOU'RE LIFE.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,370 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 188 g
    Fat / Day 46 g
    Protein / Day 51 g

That's what mfp sets me at...
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss has stalled cause you have to track and log food daily. Every day, everything. You have had only a handful of diary entries over the last 2 months.

Follow what MFP tells you to eat. Make sure you accurately measure your food. I would suggest a digital scale and not using measuring cups.

No weekend off, no cheat days. Be conservative in your estimations of calories burned. I set my activity level to sedentary.

I have consistently lost weight following those rules.

Until you dedicate your life to this new lifestyle you will see yo yo results
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss has stalled cause you have to track and log food daily. Every day, everything.

Follow what MFP tells you to eat. Make sure you accurately measure your food. I would suggest a digital scale and not using measuring cups.

No weekend off, no cheat days. Be conservative in your estimations of calories burned. I set my activity level to sedentary.

I have consistently lost weight following those rules.

Until you dedicate your life to this new lifestyle you will see yo yo results

I agree wholeheartedly. Strict adherence to logging is really important and you must be honest. I also weigh my food and overestimate my calories and underestimate my exercise.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with giving your self no leeway to live. I do, I always have (granted, using me as a barometer for you isn't really that great but...), but it comes down to your will power, if you can move away from the strict adherence for a day or two a month and then go right back, then I think it's find to do that, but if this tends to sabotage you for days or weeks after, then you might want to rethink that strategy.

As to 55% protein, I heartily disagree. There's no need for that. Having your carbs set at about 50%, your protein at about 30% and your fats at around 20% should be fine assuming you have no issues with any of those three (I.E. allergies and such). Unless you're in an anabolic state and doing some serious muscle mass increases, your body won't use anything more than about 30% protein (everyone's a little different).

I do agree with needing to keep your food diary, until you feel you can keep track in your head (after a year or more, most people can do this pretty well) and accurately estimate what calories you are consuming without using MFP, then you need a way to know what you are eating, otherwise you're just playing guessing games, and that never works.
  • I would also suggest adding weights into your workouts as well. Building muscle will help you burn fat faster whereas only doing cardio can actually burn muscle.
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    When I first started (before mfp) i was losing 2-3 lbs a week. Then i started logging everything and continued to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. then i stopped losing for a month. thats when i stopped logging. the following week i lost another 3 lbs. I havent been logging for a few months and have consistently losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.... until now. i know its important to keep track of my food... but these goals just seem low. i know when i exercise i can eat more... but i exercise 5-6 days a week and on my "off" day im going to be hungry. I'm also worried about eating my exercise calories because i dont have a hrm... so everything is really an estimate from mfp.

along the lines of never cheating, ever... that's why i've always quit in the past. there are days where im going to want a piece of pizza... and maybe i dont have time to exercise... its going to happen... and thats ok.
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with giving your self no leeway to live. I do, I always have (granted, using me as a barometer for you isn't really that great but...), but it comes down to your will power, if you can move away from the strict adherence for a day or two a month and then go right back, then I think it's find to do that, but if this tends to sabotage you for days or weeks after, then you might want to rethink that strategy.

As to 55% protein, I heartily disagree. There's no need for that. Having your carbs set at about 50%, your protein at about 30% and your fats at around 20% should be fine assuming you have no issues with any of those three (I.E. allergies and such). Unless you're in an anabolic state and doing some serious muscle mass increases, your body won't use anything more than about 30% protein (everyone's a little different).

I do agree with needing to keep your food diary, until you feel you can keep track in your head (after a year or more, most people can do this pretty well) and accurately estimate what calories you are consuming without using MFP, then you need a way to know what you are eating, otherwise you're just playing guessing games, and that never works.

PS. GO PATS!!!
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    I would also suggest adding weights into your workouts as well. Building muscle will help you burn fat faster whereas only doing cardio can actually burn muscle.

ive been doing some pushups and situps and can def tell the difference in my arms (and where my abs would be if my belly wasnt there! haha) but i need to get into weights more. thanks :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

PS. GO PATS!!!

"YEAH GO Pats!!" (intensionally misquoting Joey from Friends). :tongue:
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try setting it at a pound a week for a week or so instead of at 2 pounds per week? That might help.... sorry I can't help more, I've been stalled for a month, but it's totally my fault b/c I wasn't logging. And there was pizza involved.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Personally I would eat less carbs, more protein, same amount of fat.

Your body burns carbs before fat. I'm not saying eat 0 carbs, but 188 is pretty high. Try eating 160 for 2 weeks see if you lose weight. If you are doing strength training, up you're protein.

Also, you NEED to have cheat days, not everyone can eat perfect all the time. have one cheat every two weeks.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

55% protein is just for myself. Not her. I agree 55 is high. However, she is eating 188 grams of carbs a day. If you don't in at least an hour of exercise most people don't need that many carbs.

Remember she probably told MFP that she was going to exercise 5 times a week, an hour a day. So MFP says ok, you need this many carbs. So she may be eating right but if she has slacked off on the exercise, 188 carbs a day is a lot. Just spit balling here of course.. She may still be exercising and there may be something else we need to look at.
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    When I first started (before mfp) i was losing 2-3 lbs a week. Then i started logging everything and continued to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. then i stopped losing for a month. thats when i stopped logging. the following week i lost another 3 lbs. I havent been logging for a few months and have consistently losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.... until now. i know its important to keep track of my food... but these goals just seem low. i know when i exercise i can eat more... but i exercise 5-6 days a week and on my "off" day im going to be hungry. I'm also worried about eating my exercise calories because i dont have a hrm... so everything is really an estimate from mfp.

along the lines of never cheating, ever... that's why i've always quit in the past. there are days where im going to want a piece of pizza... and maybe i dont have time to exercise... its going to happen... and thats ok.

If you don't log your food you will not lose weight. Weight loss is 90% what you eat. Don't matter how much you work out if you aint eating right. Thats why you aint losing.

On the cheating, if you can't find room for a piece of pizza you aren't trying. I had pizza hut tonight infact. I didn't go over my goals.. What you want is your cake and eat it too. Making excuses for why you quit in the past. Your habits have you not losing weight. And your going to gain back what you do lose.

Its called yo-yo dieting.

You need to make a lifestyle change. Couple slices of pizza every now and than will not destroy your new lifestyle. You want to eat what you want. You don't want to make lifestyle changes.

Guess what, you aint going to have lasting results. I lost almost 200lbs. I did it by changing my life. Thats why people say this is a lifestyle change.

You don't want to make those changes. Your not committed. Your in for a long frustrating journey that ends in you quiting as you have in the past.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Make sure that you are eating back your exercise calories burned.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

55% protein is just for myself. Not her. I agree 55 is high. However, she is eating 188 grams of carbs a day. If you don't in at least an hour of exercise most people don't need that many carbs.

Remember she probably told MFP that she was going to exercise 5 times a week, an hour a day. So MFP says ok, you need this many carbs. So she may be eating right but if she has slacked off on the exercise, 188 carbs a day is a lot. Just spit balling here of course.. She may still be exercising and there may be something else we need to look at.

MFP uses static generic percentages for goals, I believe it's 55/15/30 (carbs/protein/fat), which I also don't agree with, I'm more of a 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 advocate (depending on what you're doing). I'd have to work 188 grams carbs out with her food to see what that comes to. But it's about what, 750 calories, so that's probably at the default 55% or there about.

My appologies for the 55% protein thing, I was unaware you were only speaking of yourself there.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

This sounds more of a case of you not recognizing what you need your goals set to than a problem with food logging. Or at least that's what I'm inclined to think. You may benefit from some individualized help (if you can afford it) from a registered dietitian. If not (not many of us can afford to shell out for a RD) then we can do our best to help, but we would really need to know pretty much all aspects of your profile in detail before any kind of informed recommendations can be made.
  • amcmillan730
    Options

If you don't log your food you will not lose weight. Weight loss is 90% what you eat. Don't matter how much you work out if you aint eating right. Thats why you aint losing.

On the cheating, if you can't find room for a piece of pizza you aren't trying. I had pizza hut tonight infact. I didn't go over my goals.. What you want is your cake and eat it too. Making excuses for why you quit in the past. Your habits have you not losing weight. And your going to gain back what you do lose.

Its called yo-yo dieting.

You need to make a lifestyle change. Couple slices of pizza every now and than will not destroy your new lifestyle. You want to eat what you want. You don't want to make lifestyle changes.

Guess what, you aint going to have lasting results. I lost almost 200lbs. I did it by changing my life. Thats why people say this is a lifestyle change.

You don't want to make those changes. Your not committed. Your in for a long frustrating journey that ends in you quiting as you have in the past.

I realize that you've been successful at this... and thats great! But I posted this to get advice and help... not to be told that i'm going to quit and fail.... this website is about support. not you telling other people they're wrong and can't do it. I think you should rephrase things next time you're trying to give someone advice. just saying...
  • amcmillan730
    Options

This sounds more of a case of you not recognizing what you need your goals set to than a problem with food logging. Or at least that's what I'm inclined to think. You may benefit from some individualized help (if you can afford it) from a registered dietitian. If not (not many of us can afford to shell out for a RD) then we can do our best to help, but we would really need to know pretty much all aspects of your profile in detail before any kind of informed recommendations can be made.

Thank you so much for your help! I may ask one of the teachers at my gym if she has any advice for me... that may be cheaper... or maybe free ;) I wish i could afford a nutritionist... and a personal trainer!!!
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    I realize that you've been successful at this... and thats great! But I posted this to get advice and help... not to be told that i'm going to quit and fail.... this website is about support. not you telling other people they're wrong and can't do it. I think you should rephrase things next time you're trying to give someone advice. just saying...

I aint here to sugar coat the truth. You asked for help.
    I haven't been logging my food for a while... My weight loss has stalled again... HELP!
    Guess what I helped you. You want me to tell you its ok to not log food. it aint. This method of weight loss does not work that way.

I am not telling you you can't do it. You were the one who said you quit in the past.
    along the lines of never cheating, ever... that's why i've always quit in the past.
    You are here complaining cause you are not losing weight. You are not losing cause you aren't doing the work. And until you dedicate yourself it will be a long frustrating journey.

You should seek out those of us who have lost 100 or 200lbs. You should be asking to see their diary's as well as taking their advice. Adding them to your friends list and seeing how they did it.

That's if you REALLY wanted to lose the weight. Instead you want to eat what you want and still lose weight. Good luck with that. 178lbs down and my weight loss is not stalled. Yours is.

Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.