Banging my head on the desk

Options
Ok, seriously, just saw it again in several posts.

Please, people, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, but please repeat after me:

a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound.

a kilo is a kilo is a kilo is a kilo is a kilo.

Thank you - let the snarks begin!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Lead doesn't weigh more than hydrogen.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Please, people, muscle does not take up less space than fat. A cubic inch of muscle takes up as much space as a cubic inch of fat.

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle is denser than fat, in that a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, but please repeat after me:

an inch is an inch is an inch.

a cm is a cm is a cm.

• 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE THAT GET'S IT.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    IN for banging on the desk.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am banging my head on the desk because it seems like everyone is killing themselves with workouts and doesn't track their food. I thought this was kind of the POINT of My Fitness Pal...logging your calories.

smh
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Oh, this again. Okay then.

giphy.gif
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Please, people, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, but please repeat after me:

True. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

But if you look at what a pound of fat looks like compared to a pound of muscle...that lb of fat is much bigger and I am pretty sure that is the context I see it used most.
    Or they say that muscle weighs more than fat to explain how a body is transforming and even though the scale may not look it you could be getting more healthy and in shape because you are building muscle and losing fat
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What if the volumes were equal?

Does a cubic inch of fat weight less than a cubic inch of ice cream?

What's the difference between weight and mass?

Does Barbarella's band need a new guitarist? :blushing:

So many questions that may never get answered.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    And to think, you killed many pixels just to bring us this post.

tumblr_static_dhq68ikbh7cc4owc08wg4sosg.gif
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    6XaJ7ph.gif
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options

True. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.

But if you look at what a pound of fat looks like compared to a pound of muscle...that lb of fat is much bigger and I am pretty sure that is the context I see it used most.
    Or they say that muscle weighs more than fat to explain how a body is transforming and even though the scale may not look it you could be getting more healthy and in shape because you are building muscle and losing fat

The word you are looking for is volume. Muscle is dense and takes up less volume; while fat takes up a lot of volume for the same comparative weight.

Another way to put this is that muscle has more mass than fat. mass/=weight Mass is a measurement of volume+weight simplistically speaking.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This is new to me.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat,
    If you new that was what people were trying to say why do you have an issue then?. Seems to be a problem of semantic not a real world problem.If that's your biggest worry in life .....
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    I am banging my head on the desk because it seems like everyone is killing themselves with workouts and doesn't track their food. I thought this was kind of the POINT of My Fitness Pal...logging your calories.

smh

IdowhatIwant_zps42099de3.gif
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat,
    If you new that was what people were trying to say why do you have an issue then?. Seems to be a problem of semantic not a real world problem.If that's your biggest worry in life .....

Because communicating correct information matters.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about loose vs. lose next ... because I never know what people mean when they say "I'm trying to loose weight."

/sarcasm

pedantic much?
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think what you meant to say is muscle is more dense than fat.

probably also means that because of its density that 1 pound of fat takes up more space than 1 pound of muscle.
  • cmcollins001
    Options
    Let's talk about loose vs. lose next ... because I never know what people mean when they say "I'm trying to loose weight."

/sarcasm

pedantic much?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1378548-arg-people-it-s-lose-not-loose