Temptation

Options
So I'm attending a family party next weekend, which is a full buffet/BBQ.

Everything from cakes, chips, fries, burgers, chocolate, candy, cookies, alcohol:drinker: ...and I have no idea how I feel about it. I know I'm allowed a treat, but my treats consist of having beans on toast or something, so I'm not sure how I feel about some of that stuff - I see it as poison for my body and I don't know if I could even go near it never mind eat it.

Should I just eat before I go?

Replies

• jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    Bump
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A few of my suggestions:

Is this a gathering where people are bringing dishes to share? If so, bring something you know you'd want to eat that fits into your diet.

Also you could try having some food before you arrive, then you won't be as hungry/tempted to eat too much.

Or think about the foods that will be there and decide what you're going to eat/not eat and stick to that.

Drink lots of water while you're there.

Try to stay away from the food table and engage in other activities, like games/sports if anything like that is happening.

Overall just have fun hanging out with your family and try not to think too much about what foods are good/bad. No one ever got unhealthy from having one drink or one cookie. Just decide on your limit and stick to it! :)
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest diet challenges/nightmares and it happens regularly in my family. I eat before I go and try not to eat during the event although I am asked at least 25 times if I ate or why am I not eating.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    A few of my suggestions:

Is this a gathering where people are bringing dishes to share? If so, bring something you know you'd want to eat that fits into your diet.

Also you could try having some food before you arrive, then you won't be as hungry/tempted to eat too much.

Or think about the foods that will be there and decide what you're going to eat/not eat and stick to that.

Drink lots of water while you're there.

Try to stay away from the food table and engage in other activities, like games/sports if anything like that is happening.

Overall just have fun hanging out with your family and try not to think too much about what foods are good/bad. No one ever got unhealthy from having one drink or one cookie. Just decide on your limit and stick to it! :)

Awesome suggestions! Thank you!
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    This is my biggest diet challenges/nightmares and it happens regularly in my family. I eat before I go and try not to eat during the event although I am asked at least 25 times if I ate or why am I not eating.

That happens to me too, it's as though they try to force it down my throat.
  • mattwhite63
    mattwhite63 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey man,

I just wrote a long winded reply and got a site down for maintenance error, here's the jist.

My background: was 292 in May, now I'm 268. Got there by eating healthy ish and working out (healthyish meaning eating some non healthy foods/junk but in moderation).

Just had the worst week ever for me my bday, a friends funeral and lotsa dinners with fam at restaurants. All the booze adding up (cut it out while getitng healthy), plus crabby food and minimum exercize had me feeling kind of meh and weighing in at 274lbs on Monday. As of today I'm back down to 268 lbs, and have just been eating healthy, hydrating and a little exercise.

I don't know much about you, but you're looking lean right now based on that pic. Even if you have a pig out day, you'd be looking at adding in an extra .3 - .5 of a lbs, which wouldn't be a big deal in the long run and may even boost your metabolism. Are you worried about the one meal or worried about spiraling for days on end?
  • ArmyofMom
    ArmyofMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat first. Eat really good nourishing things.

Then to stave off the family questions try carrying around a dish with some food on it . Stir it occasionally so people think you are eating. Then as people finish eating just set it down and walk away. If someone asks tell them you just put your plate down.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely avoid the unhealthy options as much as you can... For me i break my diet when i have the mindset of "oh just one little bite for taste" and then i have a taste and my cravings go through the roof and i convince myself this one time i can have a burger... With cheese... And bacon...

If only unhealthy foods are available then obviously go for the best option you can or cut anything in half or remove ingrediants that are terrible (like scrape the cheese off something or have a burger without the buns) but only as a last resort it usually is hard to keep this mindset once you actually see the food you could convince yourself its ok which is a bad idea.

But im sure someones gotta bring a salad or something, theres always that ONE person who does. And remember if anyone asks you if you want seconds just say no and dont give in.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Hey man,

I just wrote a long winded reply and got a site down for maintenance error, here's the jist.

My background: was 292 in May, now I'm 268. Got there by eating healthy ish and working out (healthyish meaning eating some non healthy foods/junk but in moderation).

Just had the worst week ever for me my bday, a friends funeral and lotsa dinners with fam at restaurants. All the booze adding up (cut it out while getitng healthy), plus crabby food and minimum exercize had me feeling kind of meh and weighing in at 274lbs on Monday. As of today I'm back down to 268 lbs, and have just been eating healthy, hydrating and a little exercise.

I don't know much about you, but you're looking lean right now based on that pic. Even if you have a pig out day, you'd be looking at adding in an extra .3 - .5 of a lbs, which wouldn't be a big deal in the long run and may even boost your metabolism. Are you worried about the one meal or worried about spiraling for days on end?

Congrats on being able to get the weight back off! When I had my South African family come and visit me, they were wanting to have all the traditional British foods like Fish and Chips, or Curry (which my city is well known for) so it meant I had a LOT of unhealthy eating going on...and I think I actually only put on 1lb but it came off with an additional 4lbs meaning a total loss of 5lbs in 4/5 days.

I'm not worried about crashing my diet completely, except last year when I was dieting it all came crumbing down when I thought having 'one' cookie would be a good idea...and it turned into the whole pack and thereafter lead me to put on 1.5st of a 2st loss. It's just because I haven't eaten anything like this for nearly 4 months now..especially chocolate and cakes and all. I think of the outcome if I eat it, i.e weight gain, diabetes (as it's generic), ruining my current success. It's like...cutting out cigarettes and then having 1 after a 3 month break - I would feel SO incredibly guilty.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion:

You could indulge in some of your favorite foods that you only eat a few times a year rather than eating a lot of the same foods you eat at other gatherings or foods you could eat any day of the week.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Definitely eat first. Eat really good nourishing things.

Then to stave off the family questions try carrying around a dish with some food on it . Stir it occasionally so people think you are eating. Then as people finish eating just set it down and walk away. If someone asks tell them you just put your plate down.

Thank you, I shall do!
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    I would absolutely avoid the unhealthy options as much as you can... For me i break my diet when i have the mindset of "oh just one little bite for taste" and then i have a taste and my cravings go through the roof and i convince myself this one time i can have a burger... With cheese... And bacon...

If only unhealthy foods are available then obviously go for the best option you can or cut anything in half or remove ingrediants that are terrible (like scrape the cheese off something or have a burger without the buns) but only as a last resort it usually is hard to keep this mindset once you actually see the food you could convince yourself its ok which is a bad idea.

But im sure someones gotta bring a salad or something, theres always that ONE person who does. And remember if anyone asks you if you want seconds just say no and dont give in.

Thank you for the advice!!
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Another suggestion:

You could indulge in some of your favorite foods that you only eat a few times a year rather than eating a lot of the same foods you eat at other gatherings or foods you could eat any day of the week.

I shall that, though I can't think of anything which would appeal to me.
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have lost weight in the past, and family gatherings can be a major struggle. The way I see it, is that if you want this to last your whole life, then just let yourself eat the food provided. That being said, don't go absolutely ham! But, I find that a spoonful or two of everything you want is filling, and it allows you tastes of food that will be satisfying enough. The way to make diets last a lifetime is to moderate what you eat, and don't restrict yourself. Back when I was losing weight the first time, I would totally flip out if I had to eat something bad. That's why it was never sustainable. Also, if the scale doesn't move one week, don't get discouraged! You have your whole life to lose and maintain the weight, it's not a race. Good luck!
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Hey there! I have lost weight in the past, and family gatherings can be a major struggle. The way I see it, is that if you want this to last your whole life, then just let yourself eat the food provided. That being said, don't go absolutely ham! But, I find that a spoonful or two of everything you want is filling, and it allows you tastes of food that will be satisfying enough. The way to make diets last a lifetime is to moderate what you eat, and don't restrict yourself. Back when I was losing weight the first time, I would totally flip out if I had to eat something bad. That's why it was never sustainable. Also, if the scale doesn't move one week, don't get discouraged! You have your whole life to lose and maintain the weight, it's not a race. Good luck!

Thank you for this! At prom, I actually ate a few things from the buffet which I deemed 'cheats' such as sausage rolls and fries..I actually only had a TINY portion of food (one small paper plate) and I was SO full by the end..in fact I had to push myself to finish the plate. It didn't make me put any weight on, nor did it ever put me off of track. The things I ate were savory though, so no chocolate...more so things in pastry and a small slice of pizza.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Eat first and then smear some bbq sauce on your shirt and tell people "I just COULDNT" eat another bite!!!!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Eat first and then smear some bbq sauce on your shirt and tell people "I just COULDNT" eat another bite!!!!

LMFAO!

Or stick some lettuce in your teeth.
  • jjdiggy
    Options

Hahahaha, brilliant idea!!!
  • jjdiggy
    Options

LMFAO!

Or stick some lettuce in your teeth.

I could do, hahaha! I love me some lettuce,
  • Fraser91x
    Fraser91x Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just another point of this situation.

last week we have my father in laws birthday. We had burgers, fries, hand fried fish, chips, pop, pizza, and cake. Now I was the one to BBQ so like another MFP'r said I brought my own things to BBQ (portabella mushroom) and then brought my water bottle and just selected stuff that allowed my to be in my goal.

Now with that being said it is a good idea to raise your caloric intake every so often to raise your insulin levels in your body to allow a high metabolic rate. So even if you do grab some stuff don't sweat it. Just please don't weigh yourself the next day. Weight yourself 2-3 days afterwards and I bet you have lost some weight.

People get way to concerned about daily goals - but if you placed that in a week where you have worked out and followed your diet that one day isn't going to kill you. And you will still have a great time doing so.