Honest opinions...is walking wimpy?

Options
I am currently 36 weeks pregnant.

Before pregnancy I did HIIT 5-6 days a week...then I got pregnant and couldn't keep up so I have been doing 2 days of walking (only able to manage 1.5 miles at a time now) and 3 days of kettlebell training (Zuzka's DVDs).

I find, however, that as time goes on walking becomes more and more appealing vs kettlebell. So, I ask, is walking wimpy? Is it even worth it? I feel sort of like a total wuss if I only do walking but even just thinking about doing a kettlebell workout is exhausting...

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you gotta go with what your body tells you, especially being preggers.

I'm not sure how far along you are but here some pregspo (is that a word? if not i've made it one)

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/11142115/pregnant-runner-alysia-montano-runs-800-meters-us-track-field-championships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVepVQMRN8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZKj-1xXH5k
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I played football for 8 years, rugby for 2, did MMA fighting (shao lin and greco roman style) for 3, and I walk.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Walking is not wimpy. I do lots of different stuff but walk every day twice a day. I walk the fields and forest so I do arm exercises with pretend dumbells while I walk. Amazing how worked my upper body feels!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    walking is great exercise - i notice when i walk my blood sugar drops 30 to 45 points, which means walking is also effective. of course, not all walking is equal. for one thing, continuous walking where you don't stop periodically keeps your heart rate up and that's a good thing. and ultra slow walking, trudging along at 1 mile per hour, isn't going to be as effective as going at a normal pace.

that being said, kettlebells are for building muscle unless you're working with light ones and doing lots of reps where walking is cardio and may build your legs and butt and maybe strengthen your lower back and stomach a bit, but won't work your arms, chest or shoulders.
  • ladyblue100
    ladyblue100 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I go for walks every day, If you like to walk do it, it's always good to change up your routine
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Walking is not wimpy at all.

Many individuals have exercise limitations due to medical reasons- pregnant, heart problems, arthritis, etc. Nothing to be ashamed of!
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't as demanding as what you've been doing, but it's certainly not wimpy! I love walking, and if I neglect to do it alongside other workouts, my body starts to hate me :). It does contribute to my fitness level as well. If that's what you feel you can do right now, then I wouldn't consider it a waste of time.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    You're 36 wks preg! Girl, the fact that you're moving at all is awesome!
  • ShannonS921
    Options

This. When I was 36 weeks I was pretty much a vegetable! Walking is great!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If walking is wimpy then I'm a huge wimp.
  • MissMariahLee
    MissMariahLee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    well you're probably walking some 20 pounds heavier, plus you'll be pushing a stroller *very* soon. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: It's not wimpy.Throw in some serious hills (after the baby's born).
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

This. When I was 36 weeks I was pretty much a vegetable! Walking is great!

You are about to expel a tiny human out of your body, nothing about you is or will be wimpy! I agree the fact that you are still going and getting your exercise in is amazing.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    well you're probably walking some 20 pounds heavier, plus you'll be pushing a stroller *very* soon. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: It's not wimpy.Throw in some serious hills (after the baby's born).

I am, in fact, about 20 pounds heavier now than I was before this creature took over my body for it's own use. Still better than 40 pounds heavier I was with both of the other two...
  • Hotpinkshoelaces
    Hotpinkshoelaces Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great job finding the motivation to do anything being that far along! Walking is a good exercise, and certainly beats doing nothing.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No, walking is good for you at any pace. But it can be VERY intense if you choose to walk quickly. People sometimes make fun of racewalkers because of the funny gait and because they think it strange to walk fast when you could run faster.... but I stopped caring about the coolness factor long ago. I love it and it can be very demanding physically. At my fastest I can walk about 180 steps per minute (about a 12 minute mile), getting my heart rate up into the 160s (for comparison, my HR will run around 135-140 while jogging a 12 minute mile). Now that I'm lower in weight I do both walking and running because they use slightly different muscles and because I enjoy them both. But when I was heavier, racewalking was much easier on my knees so I exclusively did that for cardio. At 36 months pregnant, you might find the low impact aspect of faster walking to be nice, too.
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I am, in fact, about 20 pounds heavier now than I was before this creature took over my body for it's own use. Still better than 40 pounds heavier I was with both of the other two...

You're on #3 and still going? Good Lord, by #3 I was sneaking off to nap during my lunch break. Keep walking, that's awesome!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should be deadlifting 400lb.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At my advanced age it ain't wimpy. I record 1 hour each day but usually do 1 1/2 hours.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    At 36 weeks, walking is not wimpy.

At that point I had so many Braxton-Hicks contractions going on that a walk took some serious effort. The contractions were so strong I'd have to stop and just keep myself upright until the contraction passed.

Listen to your pregnant body. And good luck with your new little one!