No-calorie Sweeteners/ "diet" sodas...?

Options
2»

Replies

• WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Because they cause the release of insulin since the body can't tell them apart from real sugars so your body says it has too much insulin and tells you to get more sugars. Fake sugars are pretty bad for the body and some studies show people actually gain weight while using them.
  • desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    I think I read once that artificial sweeteners can cause cancer. Don't expect me to post my source or findings. I still drink them even with this warning because these days it seems that anything will give you cancer. So you can live a long life and not do anything, or go out and have truly lived.

I have heard about the cancer thing as well, but I don't know how scientifically reliable that information is. I think at the end of the day, the stigma exists because of the fact that most of these things are artificial and not 'real' ingredients. It's like margarin. I know some people consume it, and I'm not saying butter is necessarily good for you, but at least butter is made primarily of natural ingredients (well, depending on what type of butter you buy, I guess). As far as my personal health is concerned, I'd rather consume whole/natural products as much as possible, so I avoid non-natural sweeteners as much as possible. But that's just my preference. Everyone is different.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Because they cause the release of insulin since the body can't tell them apart from real sugars so your body says it has too much insulin and tells you to get more sugars. Fake sugars are pretty bad for the body and some studies show people actually gain weight while using them.

There is no scientific evidence for any of the above.