cucumbers

Options
lilmandy89
lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
So i have a whole cucumber to eat before it goes bad, i want to use some for supper, I don't eat cucumber to much, just wanted some ideas of how to cook/eat it and what sauces/dressings are good. Any ideas would be great. Thankyou

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So i have a whole cucumber to eat before it goes bad, i want to use some for supper, I don't eat cucumber to much, just wanted some ideas of how to cook/eat it and what sauces/dressings are good. Any ideas would be great. Thankyou
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I cut my cucumber up with some tomatoes (or alone) and spritz it with balsamic vinegar spray. A little salt and fresh basil makes it even better.

Or, if I don't have anything else, a little salt and a smear of laughing cow swiss cheese. Yum!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Any dressing that you'd put on a salad is ok.

If you want low cal, take some natural yogurt, add salt, black pepper (and herbs if you like). Than mix it with your cucumber. Yummm :smile: I love tomatoes that way too. Sometimes it looks more like yogurt with cucumer/tomato because I use so much yogurt :smile:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like cucumbers cut in chunks and mixed with vinegar and a little sugar---yummm! Sometimes a TINY pinch of cayenne pepper is good, too. Sweet/hot.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thinly slice with and pour rice vinegar over top to marinate at least a few hours. The hot rice vinegar is also wonderful as well adding a thinly sliced sweet onion (Vidalia). You can add hot red pepper to it too. Enjoy
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I like to put cucumbers, sliced onions, and sliced tomatoes in a little vinegar with some dill spices. Let soak in the fridge for a while. Wonderful cool snack in the summer time!!!!

Memaw
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipie today that looked good.
    It was in Muscle and Fittness hers.
    Lettuce rolls with Peanut sauce.
    1 carrot shredded
    1/2 cup bean sprouts
    cucumber cut into match sticks
    3 green Onions sliced
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1 1/2 cup Jasmine or Brown rice.
    7oz (1/2 package) light firm Tofu (I would personaly use chicken instead.)
    12 Lettuce leaves
    12tsp low fat low sodium bottled peanut sauce(such as Mr Spice Thai Peanut Sauce) divided plus extra for serving.

Directions:
    1) Combine carrot, bean sprouts, cucumber, green onions, and cilantro in a medium bowl.
    Devide vegie mix, rice and tofu (In my case BBQ chicken) evenly amoung lettuce leaves. Drizzle filling with 1 tsp. peanut sauce each.
    2) Fold the top and bottom of the lettuce leaves, roll and place seam side down on a serving plate.
    3) Serve with additional peanut sauce for dipping.
    Nutritional facts: (this is useing the tofu not chicken.
    3 rolls per serving.
    158 Calories TOTAL!!!
    8 g protien, 24 g Carbs, 3 g fat, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 345 mg sodium.
    I am still stunned that we can eat 3 of these and only have 158 calories in all three.
    WOW...
  • amy_ryan
    amy_ryan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Slice some cucumber up and put it in your ice water (preferably with a lemon wedge). This is especially refreshing when it's hot out, but good anytime.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    mix with low fat/fat free vinagrette of some sort be it italian dressing raspberry anything...its cukes in vinagarette. Or dill splenda(to taste) and fat free/low fat sour cream and a lil white pepper or the insanely wierd puree it with some canteloupe and apple juic and you have a cold soup