Log For Life?!

Options
I'd like to start by saying that MFP has been a major tool in my weight loss journey. I started two years ago, and for the first year I dropped 25 pounds by simply eating less and moving more. I plateaued for a while, and when I discovered MFP I dropped an additional 20 pounds in about 4 months. It helped me greatly, BUT I became OBSESSED with logging, and EVERYTHING I put into my body, to the point where eating was barely enjoyable, and I can safely say i drove my boyfriend bonkers. In June, I stopped logging. Since then I have used what I have learned using MFP (portion sizes, calorie counts ect.) and used it to make better choices without Logging. I have managed to maintain my weight for two months now, but I am feeling that I am starting to make bad choices again. I am going to start logging again, but I just don't want to become obsessive about food and calories and logging.

Does anyone have any advice about being able to maintain eating well, while not having to log for life?! Is it customary for MFP users to log forever????

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that even if not with MFP i'll be logging for life if no other reason than to keep myself aware of my habits in case i slip back into the bad ones. Love your avatar by the way.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Lots of people say just writing what you eat down, even if you aren't counting calories, keeps you more accountable because you feel bad if you ate 2 cheesburgers, a jumbo fry and a extra large milk shake.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not much help. I've been logging for over three years now. It's a simple habit for me, like brushing my teeth, and it doesn't stress me out at all. I enjoy cooking and eating all kinds of food, and logging hasn't prevented me from enjoying life at all. I honestly would have no problem logging for life, since it's so easy for me - almost like a game rather than a chore. For someone like you, who IS stressed by logging, maybe you should just trying intermittent logging. Do your best to maintain on your own, and when you feel yourself slipping, come back and log again until you've got it under control again. Maybe that could work for you? :flowerforyou:
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I genuinely hope that I can log for life, or at least until I am so senile that it doesn't matter anymore. I *want* to keep up my good habits of tracking what I eat, and I want to make sure that I can continue to be healthy and aware of what I am putting into my body. I know if I stopped tracking, I would revert to bad habits quite quickly.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've stopped logging, I've maintained for awhile, but then slowly began regaining. The folks I've known who kept it off super long-term either continued to log or attacked more ambitious fitness goals.

> I became OBSESSED with logging, and EVERYTHING I put into my body, to the point where eating was barely enjoyable

Logging everything is the point, but if you say you were OBSESSED and eating was barely enjoyable, could you perhaps switch to a routine where you simply spend 15 minutes logging before bed as you probably already spend a few minutes each day picking up clothes or doing the dishes?

Could you talk to a counselor why you stopped enjoying eating?

There are other logging tools and systems--weight watchers, portion systems--but if you tend to obsess about food in one system I suspect you would do so in another sooner or later. Talking to a counselor about why you were stressing about the foods rather than simply logging them may help you get past this.
  • jenakely
    Options
    I intend to log for life. I have a long way to go before I reach my goals but I try not to be obsessive. I don't always make the best decisions but I make a lot less wrong ones and I always think twice about what I am eating. I am making better decisions everyday because I am holding myself accountable for everything I eat. I think when we stop logging, overtime we begin to stop thinking about the calories we are taking in and nutrition in general. Congrats on your success! I hope I get there sooner than later:smile:
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    I only count calories, i don't log them here i write them down, I think if it means i will never go back to being in the 300's i can do it the rest of my life, but i don't think i would have to..at this point i know pretty much the amount of calories in everything i eat.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not much help. I've been logging for over three years now. It's a simple habit for me, like brushing my teeth, and it doesn't stress me out at all. I enjoy cooking and eating all kinds of food, and logging hasn't prevented me from enjoying life at all. I honestly would have no problem logging for life, since it's so easy for me - almost like a game rather than a chore. For someone like you, who IS stressed by logging, maybe you should just trying intermittent logging. Do your best to maintain on your own, and when you feel yourself slipping, come back and log again until you've got it under control again. Maybe that could work for you? :flowerforyou:

I couldn't have said it better.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

tumblr_m6i75j6WXs1qfph1s.gif
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Excellent answer. I've been logging for over two years now. Mostly, I pre-log the whole day in the morning while the coffee is brewing. After all, I mostly know what I'm going to eat as I already bought it and cooked it. If I change my mind, I make adjustments before I go to bed and post. I've enjoy my food, don't obsess over it or the numbers. Logging is like brushing my teeth now and for me, part of keeping myself at my goal weight.
  • CatWhispererrrr
    CatWhispererrrr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow - Overwhelming response! Thanks everyone!! Don't get me wrong, I have loved using MFP, but I just found that I was starting to see food as calories, rather than being able to just enjoy what I was eating. I have found since I stopped logging, that I gradually stopped thinking purely Calories, but then, turned into not caring enough! Where is the balance?!?!

I admire everyone who finds themselves being able to log daily without finding it tedious at times!!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I spent the first 58 years of my life eating whatever I wanted without logging anything. I have spent the last year of my life logging most everything I eat.

In the last year, I have lost the 100+ pounds that I gained in the first 58. To log or not to log: no brainer... I am a lifer. There are certain things I no longer "log", but keep track of the calories in my head. I tend to eat the same basic foods everyday so it's just a matter of switching one food out for another.... I always make sure I leave myself a little leeway for any discrepancies throughout a given day.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I shifted to maintenance about 3 months ago, and I fully intend to continue logging both my food and my weight for the rest of my life. I have proved to myself that I cannot trust myself to say "enough is enough" -- my body just says "more, more, more".

I weigh everyday and use math to trend the raw data. With this knowledge I *know* that I have gained about 1 pound per month for the past two months. That works out to only 150 extra calories per day, but it is enough to notice on a weight chart. So this month I am cutting back and I *will* lose those 2 pounds without undue stress.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    "Forever" and "For life" are long times.

I'm not sure whether I will be doing this for life - but am going to do it for the foreseeable future - because it is working for me and I don't find it tedious or difficult.

having said that, I have found it best to wean myself onto what I call Long Term Relaxed Logging - by that, I mean, yes I still log every day but I don't weigh everything exactly, eg. I call every mandarine a small or medium mandarine, I eyeball portions of low calorie vegetables, I don't weigh condiments, I guestimate when I eat out etc

This, to me, is the fine balance between still logging and therefore still being accountable (and successfully maintaining my weight) - but not becoming obsessive or dragged down by it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I log still because it doesn't bother me. But if I were going to go without logging I'd go about it in a couple of ways. I'd either a.) set some rules for myself. Like only one dessert item allowed per day. Or must get in 5+ servings of vegetables. Or whatever you think will help you keep calories in check. Or b.) I'd eat intuitively but keep weighing in weekly, and if the scale starts to climb go back to logging for awhile.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've gone without logging before and it has not affected my weight or the way I look only my confidence that I am doing ok. I think it sounds like you are the same, you have said that you are making bad choices but you have not said that it has affected you negatively as far as weight or bady mass.

I am trying to build some muscle but once I achieve that then I want to stop logging. I think that keeping track of my weight and how my body looks is more important. If I start to see changes on the scale or the mirror then I will probably go back to logging.

Don't stress out too much, if you gain a little then just go back to logging and lose the few pounds you have gained. As long as you don't lose track of how you look (take pictures monthly at least) then I think you should be fine. I find that I can eat more crap while maintaining because I naturally eat lower calories than maintenance anyway, so when I endulge I'm barely going over.

Good luck!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago without logging before or after (managed to keep most of it off, and came to MFP and lost more while logging extremely diligently). So it's possible to stop logging--or never log in the first place--but I was just thinking this morning how logging actually makes my life easier anymore. I don't really have to think about anything with MFP doing the calculations/math for me. So I see myself keeping at it indefinitely.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    For me, logging = accountability. I've been logging for almost a year now and I can't see myself leaving this behind once I hit maintenance. I think logging every single day won't be such a necessity but I'll definitely stay the course. Logging kind of is like brushing your teeth once it becomes part of your routine :wink:
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hate logging with a fiery passion but every time I stop logging I end up gaining weight because it is just way to easy to lose track of what you are eating.

So even though I hate logging I've come to peace with the fact that if I want to maintain my weight I gotta log.

YMMV but that is how its ended up turning out for me.