Zombies, Run!

Options
I decided to spice things up today so I purchased this app. I had read some good things about it, but I have to say I am not impressed.
I walked/ran for 3.5 miles over an hour and only heard about 1 paragraph of story. It didn't track my distance, and the step counter was way off. It asked me to run from zombies only 3 times, and that was only for a few seconds. The last time I didn't even run and it worked out anyway. I was upset that it wouldn't play my entire music library, so I had to make a playlist and I wasn't happy with it.
Other than my music being interrupted with the Siri voice telling me I found another sports bra, I didn't even notice the zombie theme.
Does it get better?

Replies

• runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I couldn't engage with it, either. Found it incredibly dull. I'd rather run to high-paced music.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me I purchased this a few weeks ago. I only used it once so far. I got the opposite impression-- it left me running too long? I might have misinterpreted the cues, though. I think I was listening to the first version?

Also, I don't store music on my phone, I use Pandora, which doesn't seem to work with ZR, so no music for me if I want to hear ZR story. Kind of a deal killer.

I had bought The Walk app from the same company and wrestled with it up to about ch. 8 when I gave up. It was new and just too glitchy. I had high hopes for ZR, since it's been out so long. But each app was only a couple bucks so no big loss if I never use them again.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Give it time! you can't judge after one mission =)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Heretics...

In all seriousness, I can't see the appeal either. But I don't listen to music when I'm running either.
  • MimiRob77
    MimiRob77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried about 5 missions so far and I find it motivating.
    In average, the 30 minutes runs include story lines between each songs of my playlist, 3 zombie runs (sprint for about a minute each) and a female voice update me with the time spend for each kilometre.
    After the mission is completed, it switches on radio mode (information on Abbeltown) and Zombie runs also continue.
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I purchased the 5k app today as well. I did workout 1 this evening and enjoyed it.
    I figured out my gps wasn't enabled and that makes a huge difference. I also created an account on the website and sync to that which is nice.

I am going to stick with the 5k workouts. It is more structured and seems to be just what I need right now. I will save the missions for when I can actually run them.

Please feel free to follow me on the ZR website, my user name is slowj.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You need to check the settings in the app to turn on GPS and adjust zombie chases. It's best used with music, the story sections will "dip" your music for you and then bring it back up when it's done. If you want a constant story for the duration of your run you may be better off running to audiobooks.
    I have played all of season one and half of season two and I really enjoy it, but if you can't get on with it even after making the above changes, I guess it just isn't for you.