Retraining my mind

Options
I've just gotten back from being out of town for two weeks. I did very little "official" exercise (although while I was working, I did walk between 15K - 18K steps/day). I got back yesterday and despite being tired and jetlagged, I knew if I didn't get out for my walk, I'd just blow it off today, tomorrow and for who knows how long.

so, I walked my 3 miles (faster than i ever have and my husband noted that I was much less out of breath than I normally am!). I felt so much better and energized! I always feel that way after I workout.

The main problem is when I think about doing it, I am filled with a sense of dread and not wanting to do it. I push myself anyway, and I'm always happy I do. but, are there tricks to retraining how my mind works? I tell myself that I'll feel better and that I'll enjoy it, but so much of me fights back. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks guitarguy. It's true, I do owe it to myself. I'll try to think of it that way. Has anyone else experienced what I go through?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    2) Exercise the first moment of the day you get a chance. Do not sit down

Once you plop on the couch, check the DVR to see what recorded last night, there is a lot less of a chance you will workout. The reason is homeostasis. The body wants to stay in whatever mode it’s currently in. That voice in your head, telling you excuses for not getting up to work out, is your body not wanting to exert energy. To change modes from inactive to active and active to inactive, takes energy. Our bodies have evolved over millions of years and one thing our body never wants to give up easily is energy.

Keep this in mind for other activities in your life. Don’t break active mode for a second when you have stuff left to do.

http://leadingmuscle.com/2014/07/26/4-small-habits-for-weight-loss-and-building-muscle/