a plethora of questions. weight loss related

Options
1. Will a drink now and then hinder me? For example im having a double gin and sprite but I havent had a drink in a couple weeks and not planning on getting blitzed

2. Im wanting to ingrain going to the gym as a habit. Is goinf everyday ok

3. How does strength training benefit me when my goal is fat loss? I know it he lps burn more cals whe n resting but im wanting to know how long it can take for my bf% to go down and if it will help with that when im in a defecit

4. Should I buy myself calipers

5. Whats MORE important: a whole food diet or strictly a cal defecit?? Example: 1500 from real food or 1200 from mainly junk??

6. Should I invest in a prrsonal trainer??

7. Do I need to eat a pre/post workout snack if im trying to lose weight not gain muscle

Stats: 24f 195ishlbs 5'5

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    1. as long as the drink calories fit into your daily calorie goals, there ya go. .

2. if you haven't been going to the gym, i'd start every other day or 3 days per week, and i wouldn't start until i had a plan or goals. are you trying to lose weight, gain muscle or a bit of both? walking is great exercise, free and you can do it almost anywhere.

3. muscle is what burns calories. having more muscle means your body will burn more calories all the time. besides, a little muscle adds firmness and looks good.

4. if you like. they're easy to use wrong.

5. if you want to lose weight, it's all about how many calories you eat. if you want to be healthier, whole foods - or better, well chosen foods - can help there. i was a fat person who ate clean and mostly organic for years.

6. if you like. i know a lot of clueless personal trainers, so the more you know, the better you can choose one. it's probably worth paying for a couple sessions to learn how to do exercises in perfect form to avoid hurting yourself, but i would do research on any workout routine or dietary advice your trainer gives you.

7. i get a better quality workout if i have some complex carbs first. it enables me to have more energy for longer. you can experiment and see what works best for you.

***please note - i'm not a doctor, fitness professional or pro advice giver.***
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow there are some great questions here, if they are not all answered you can look back through the message board for similar topics.

1. Every now and again no, but the alcohol will burn first and drinking can make you have the munchies.
    2. There should be no problem. Most gyms have lots of things to do. You might not want to do the same thing everyday. Try doing all kinds of things.
    3. As we get older or have been sitting on our tush we lose our muscle. Even if you don;t want to bulk up, some resistance is good for you. It helps return your former muscle mass, aids in balance, and can reduce injury. Plus you can lose more muscle while just trying to lose weight.
    4. no not right off the bat. just a measuring tape should do fine.
    5. both. you want to eat as healthy as possible, but even healthy food can be over eaten.
    6. If you go to the gym everyday use their staff. Most gyms have helpers that come with your initial membership. save your money.
    7. You can work you meals around you workouts. Don't just eat because someone says too. Right at the beginning it is water that is most important. Be mindful of the drink pushers the drinks and mixes have lots of calories
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    1. Will a drink now and then hinder me? For example im having a double gin and sprite but I haven't had a drink in a couple weeks and not planning on getting blitzed

Log it and stay withing your calorie goal and you will be fine. You may find that drinking hinders your workouts, as it tends to dehydrate you terribly.
    2. Im wanting to ingrain going to the gym as a habit. Is goinf everyday ok

Work different muscle groups every time you go. You want to give each muscle group at least a day of rest in between workouts to recover.
    3. How does strength training benefit me when my goal is fat loss? I know it he lps burn more cals whe n resting but im wanting to know how long it can take for my bf% to go down and if it will help with that when im in a defecit

Good question. Strength training convinces your body to hold onto your muscle, instead of using it for fuel along with fat. Lifting weights increases the percentage of weight you lose to be fat, not muscle. You don't want to lose muscle, ever.
    4. Should I buy myself calipers

Calipers are only really useful when they are used by a trained professional who has measured many, many people, very very frequently. You can get a general idea of your body fat using them on yourself, but if you are inexperienced and using a cheap set, your reading is likely to be off by as much as 7-10%. Tehy might be useful to view a trend in your progress, but as far as accuracy, you're going to want a professional.
    5. Whats MORE important: a whole food diet or strictly a cal defecit?? Example: 1500 from real food or 1200 from mainly junk??

Calorie deficit. That said, a 1200 cal diet is most likely not a good number for you. Almost everyone needs much more than that to lose weight healthily. Even me, and I'm not even 5 feet tall. (just under.)
    6. Should I invest in a prrsonal trainer??

If you want one and can afford it. They are not necessary to weightloss and fitness, though. You just need to be able to educate and motivate yourself.
    7. Do I need to eat a pre/post workout snack if im trying to lose weight not gain muscle

Eating before will give you more energy for a harder workout. Not everyone cares to eat before though, and it's not crucial. Do what works best for you. You SHOULD eat something high in protein as soon as possible after working out. This helps repair your muscle and helps repair them after a workout. You will not gain muscle if you are eating at a deficit.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    1-- a drink won't hurt as long as it's within your calorie goals. Just be aware.
    2-- I go to the gym 6 days a week, with a walk around my neighborhood on my "off day." It's fine.
    3-- strength training benefits so that you will maintain as much muscle as possible during your weight loss period. Also muscle takes up less space than fat… so you will looker smaller. Yes, muscle burns more calories… so ALL your efforts (cardio, rest, etc) will give you a better burn which will will help reduce fat even more.
    4--Unnecessary. But if your interested… it can't hurt anything.
    5--For weight loss… theoretically all that is necessary is a calorie deficit. The greater the deficit, the greater the loss. But eating healthy whole foods will fill you up more so that lower calories make you feel fuller. You'll be healthier eating whole foods and probably feel better too. Honestly… My best guess is… you'll feel fuller and more satisfied eating 1200 of whole foods than you would 1500 of "junk."
    6--A lot of gyms have a trainer on-site that you can access for free or at a reduced price. Take advantage! However… it is not necessary. And if you do get one… be wise. Research what they tell you. Follow your intuition. A lot of trainers come with an agenda besides just you and your goals. Just be aware.
    7--Timing of food is irrelevant with weight loss. It's all about calorie deficit. However… I have better energy for my workouts when I eat something beforehand. Usually something small. Fruit and string cheese is my go-to (complex carbs with a little protein).
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    On the topic of question number 5, I think it's important that you understand MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

My work is done here, I'll just leave this and be on my way...

plethora.jpg