Bacon...argh!

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
Okay so this issue again.

I get cooking bacon from the shop as it is slightly cheaper (meaning you get them in a bunch rather than nice rashers). I weighed a few slices on the scale uncooked and it was about 110 grams.

I grilled them in the oven on one of those spiky racks - don't know the English name for it, but hopefully you get it - all the fat drips off on the aluminum foil I placed underneath.

I ended up with a few small slices. However I didn't weigh the bacon cooked before I ate them and now I don't know the calories. It is not specified on the package whether the calories are cooked or uncooked weight. Nor whether the calories are inclusive of bacon fat.
When I looked it up in the database the calories seemed unreasonably high, especially compared to the calories I've had in slices before.

Can anyone help?

Replies

• Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The calories on the packet will be for the uncooked weight and will include the fat. You could use the database entry for trimmed bacon to get a more accurate result if your cutting the fat off.

mmm bacon.
  • SaltedEverything
    SaltedEverything Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Henny, if you still have the aluminium foil where you collected all the fat drippings, you can weigh the fat. Then use this:
    (Grams of fat) x 9 = (calories from fat)
    Subtract that from the calorie value of 110g of bacon according to the package.

It won't be precise to the last calorie, but it should give you some idea of what you ate.

(Also, relax! Calories on packets are all approximate anyway. Just use good judgement.)
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Henny, if you still have the aluminium foil where you collected all the fat drippings, you can weigh the fat. Then use this:
    (Grams of fat) x 9 = (calories from fat)
    Subtract that from the calorie value of 110g of bacon according to the package.

It won't be precise to the last calorie, but it should give you some idea of what you ate.

(Also, relax! Calories on packets are all approximate anyway. Just use good judgement.)

Thanks for the advice.

From the calories on the packet, it would give 340 calories. I weighed the fat at approx 12 grams, so I subtracted 100 calories from it and logged as 240 calories.
    Looking at the amount I think it seems fair.