How to keep not be hunger

Options
I'm trying to have a 1200 calorie intake and it been difficult when i eat dinner its already 700-800 calories so i feel like i can't eat dinner but by that time I'm really even during the day. My goal is to lose 55 pounds but that won't happen if hunger all day. What do you guys do to keep hunger away.

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    you have to eat to loose but the right foods! you should never feel hungry when trying to loose weight. If you are you are eating foods with chemicals and preservatives in them that cause cravings or your just not eating enough! Dinner should be the smallest meal not the largest. Breakfest should be the biggest meal of the day
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Number ONE.......if you are just starting out, do NOT set your calories at the minimum amount......1200 should be your goal as you progressively lose weight........not your starting goal.........I started out at 1740....now I'm at 1640 a day............in truth if you eat veggies w/ your protein, you shouldn't fill hungry......Number TWO .......I do understand the concept of large suppers and I try to save a greater amount for supper, BUT I TRY NOT TO EAT LATER THAN 7 TO 8 PM..........meaning no more food (NOT EVEN A GRAPE OR FAT FREE ITEM ) ...after 7:30 or 8 pm.....hope that helps!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You have to eat and you have to workout more. It's the only thing I've found that works! It's so worth it though because you will feel and look great from working out more.

It's this non-ending cycle of fueling the body, then depleting it, fueling, depleting, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

Hunger definitely can be a sign of a healthy metabolism, so keep it going by fueling and working it off. Your forum post caught my attention because I've been struggling with hunger a lot lately.

Best of luck!
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    :ohwell: I can have that many calories by 4 pm!!! It is FRUSTRATING. The only way I can make it, is to exercise so I have more calories available. I like eating, and I'm a hungry girl. I don't know how some people on this site can eat so little...(and I don't think it's good either). Many of these people are starving themselves and not that fit looking to me...jus' sayin.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    How many times a day are you eating?

Average people tend to eat larger portions 2-3 times a day, where as it's recommended to have smaller portions 5-6x a day.

See if you can breakup your diet into: Breakfast, Morning break, Lunch,. PM Break, Dinner, Evening Break.

If you can average around 200-250 calories for each you'll keep yourself fuelled throughout the day and thus won't feel hunger effects waiting for the next "meal".

Combine that with a regular exercise program and you should be able to give yourself an extra 2-300 calories a day to play with while still meeting your weight loss goals.

Cheers!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Number ONE.......if you are just starting out, do NOT set your calories at the minimum amount......1200 should be your goal as you progressively lose weight........not your starting goal.........I started out at 1740....now I'm at 1640 a day............in truth if you eat veggies w/ your protein, you shouldn't fill hungry......Number TWO .......I do understand the concept of large suppers and I try to save a greater amount for supper, BUT I TRY NOT TO EAT LATER THAN 7 TO 8 PM..........meaning no more food (NOT EVEN A GRAPE OR FAT FREE ITEM ) ...after 7:30 or 8 pm.....hope that helps!

I have to agree with this. I've lost over 60 pounds, and I could NOT have done 1200 calories a day coming off what I used to eat. Learning to eat right takes time. Give it to yourself. Now that I'm more than half-way to goal, my original starting point on calories is 1440 per day. And then I exercise. In reality, knowing that I'm going to exercise, I aim for 1600 calories per day. This FORCES me to get off the couch, then rewards me with a little more food. I divide my food into 4 roughly equal portions--1/4 for each meal, and 1/4 for snacks. I tend to eat a little more lightly at breakfast and snacks, which usually allows me a tad extra for dinner. But just a tad. If you don't eat enough during the day, you will be so hungry come suppertime that you will be willing to eat your plates! Pace yourself, and don't try to do this overnight. It takes a long time to gain weight and it should take just as long to lose it--especially if you want to keep it off.

Oh--and give yourself credit for every positive thing you do (instead of beating yourself up when you are not perfect).
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I decided to start today trying the 6 smaller meals a day thing. I will tell you I have not once had a hint of hunger pains. I've kept all my meals to around 200ish calories, except dinner. I've already logged all my food for the day and I'm at 1350 calories for the entire day. I haven't even logged my workout I'll be having here in an hour. Also, I would definitely classify myself as a hungry girl and I LOVE to eat food. Take a look at my diary if you need some suggestions.

PS I upped my protein percentage to 40% (i think?)
  • ajkebluegirl
    ajkebluegirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies i eat at most 4 times a day breakfast, lunch at school,maybe something after school then dinner, i don't feel like my breakfast is fulling enough because i'm hungry all throughout school . When it comes to exercising im am currently on a swim team a it is 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I get really hunger after swimming but by that time it is after 9. I was wondering if i should eat after school then eat after swim practice so about 10 pm
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies i eat at most 4 times a day breakfast, lunch at school,maybe something after school then dinner, i don't feel like my breakfast is fulling enough because i'm hungry all throughout school . When it comes to exercising im am currently on a swim team a it is 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I get really hunger after swimming but by that time it is after 9. I was wondering if i should eat after school then eat after swim practice so about 10 pm

"Aye...there's the rub" as Hamlet would say.

Your swim team workouts would be a huge calorie drain on your body. Even if you counted light freestyle for 90 mins, you're talking about 1000 calories burned. So from what you've described, you're not replaceing these calories burned with anything and your diet would be far too restrictive. 1200 calories is no where near enough to fuel your daily activity....2100 would be a more accurate figure to go by.

Would suggest some simple (healthy) snacks you can have through the day to keep yourself fuelled and perhaps a post-workout shake or something that you can chug down pretty easily following your swim workouts.