Bulgur Wheat, Chickpea and Roasted Vegetable Salad

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
I just made this salad today for the first time, and it is not only super healthy but also very filling and delicious! Highly recommended for those who want to get more healthy, low-GI carbs. I added goat cheese this time around but in hindsight would have left it out.

This recipe takes a bit of preparation and a while to make, but it's mostly passive time waiting for the oven. It actually requires minimal cooking skill or effort. Just plan ahead if you want to make it!

Makes 6 large portions. 312 calories per serving.
Altered from this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bulgur-Garbanzo-Bean-and-Cucumber-Salad-361230

1 cup dried chick peas, sorted, rinsed and soaked over night
water to cover by 2 inches

1 cup medium grind whole grain bulgur, dry
2 cups of water
1 tsp ground cumin

1 large (red/orange/yellow) bell pepper
1 medium zucchini
1 large red onion
1 Tbsp oil
20 small red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 - 5oz package soft goat cheese, cut into small pieces (optional)

3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
In an oven proof pot (dutch oven or equivalent) cover the rinsed and pre-soaked chickpeas with water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Once at a rolling boil, move covered pot to the preheated oven for 2 hours or until peas are soft, checking every 30 mins to ensure that water is still covering the chick peas. Remove from oven once done cooking and let cool completely in water before draining.

Raise oven temp to 425F.
Roughly chop bell pepper and slice zucchini (I prefer to slice on an angle) about 1/4 inch think. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay vegetables out in one unified layer. Drizzle with approx 2/3 Tbsp oil. Bake for 25 mins on middle rack. Remove from oven, flip pieces over, and add sliced red onion to the cookie sheet with the 1/3 Tbsp oil remaining. Bake for another 25 mins. (Onion roasts much faster than peppers and zucchini, so I add them later). Let cool on the cookie sheet for 15 mins and then chop into bite sized pieces.

While vegetables are roasting, add bulgur wheat, 2 cups water and 1 tsp ground cumin to a small pot with a lid. Bring to a boil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the burner, stir well, replace cover, and let stand on the burner (now off, but still hot) for 10-12 minutes. Fluff with a fork and remove to a large mixing bowl to cool.

Whisk together vinegar, remaining oil, water, and spices in a small bowl.

Once all ingredients have cooled to room temperature, fold together with bulgur, fresh tomatoes, cilantro and goat cheese. Toss with dressing and serve.

PB290017.jpg

Seems like a lot of work but it's really tasty and worth the extra time. Cook the chick peas however you like - boiling on the stove, in a crock pot, or in the oven. This just works best for me. Alternatively, use canned peas, although they are much higher in sodium. One 15 oz can would be approximately the same amount.

-Meag

Replies

• RyanEli
    RyanEli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds absolutely delicious! Those are some of my favorite ingredients. Thank you for sharing. :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Marking to try when I get home again!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Bump- looks and sounds AMAZING... cant wait to try this out!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hope it goes well for you guys :) And that you enjoy it as much as everyone in my house seemed to like it tonight for dinner! haha
  • frubjious
    Options
    Defintely going to try this. Thanks for posting it.
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum...I know I'll like it but hope hubby likes it too...Thanks for posting Meag!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious - thanks for sharing :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me! Can't wait to see/hear my kids reactions-they still haven't gotten over quinoa (which they are getting tonight!)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    sounds good to me! Can't wait to see/hear my kids reactions-they still haven't gotten over quinoa (which they are getting tonight!)
    I bet this recipe would be just as delicious with quinoa instead of bulgur! I just had bulgur in the cupboard and thought "why not!?" haha Good luck!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I bet this recipe would be just as delicious with quinoa instead of bulgur! I just had bulgur in the cupboard and thought "why not!?" haha Good luck!

I have a new recipe for oyster mushroom barley risotto made with brown rice and pearl barley. I feel like the evil witch cackiing in the kitchen when I make some of this healthier stuff! If the risotto is good, I'll post the recipe here. It's from the Mayo Clinic/Williams Sonoma cookbook.
  • meagalayne
    Options

I have a new recipe for oyster mushroom barley risotto made with brown rice and pearl barley. I feel like the evil witch cackiing in the kitchen when I make some of this healthier stuff! If the risotto is good, I'll post the recipe here. It's from the Mayo Clinic/Williams Sonoma cookbook.
    Awesome! Can't wait :bigsmile: I love all this healthy, scrumptious stuff!! Keep it coming!
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Bump! Thanks, sounds delicious!!!