zumba calories

Options
I know that you can burn up to 1000 calories doing zumba for an hour, but today I went to my first class. I weigh about 165lbs and I would say did it at a moderate pace since I was trying to learn the moves and keep up. My heart rate was definately up and sweat was definately dripping haha. How many calories would you say I burned?

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    All I can do is tell you that I burn on average 17-18 calories a minute and I REALLY get into it. I wear my HRM every time and this is what I get consistently. I weigh 115 pounds. I'm not sure if this helps you at all but I thought I would throw that info out there! My HRM cost $25 bucks at Walmart and its a Godsend when I'm working out. I love it! :o)
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only true way to know is to get yourself a heart rate monitor...... They are worth every cent....
    The indicators of calories burnt on the MSF excercise options for particular excercises i have found to be very inacurate when comparing to measuring the real calories burnt when using a HRM...... I burn far less than the website suggests i burn unfortunately for me....... :-(
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    it really depends :\ i agree w/ the suggestion for an HRM. some days i only burn 400 or so other days i burn up to 800.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    I wear my Polar HRM during class...I'm 38, 216 lbs, 5'5"...I have burned between 630-770 calories depending on my effort and when the instructors through in an extra song or two.

Most people put it in their exercise diary as "high impact aerobics".

Not sure if that helps you much, but I WILL say, as you go more and learn the songs, you are able to give more intensity to your workout! I have been zuming since July and LOVE IT! :love:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I log mine as Aerobics low impact when I'm feeling a bit less than zippy, just to make sure I'm not overestimating the burn. I do love Zumba though....and actually bought a hip scarf for myself (in the past, buying the equipment was a sure sign of imminent failure...however, I feel kinda naughty in the hip scarf, so I think it might help!) :blushing:
  • justin_time
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity and it will calculate how many calories you have burned based on average metabolic rates