Name this exercise

Options
I was just messing around one day and tried to come up with an exercise that works everything. Here's how it goes:

--Start with feet shoulder-width apart,2 dumbells in front of feet.

--Bend forward,grab DB's and 'deadlift' 'into standing position.

--Do a bicep curl into a shoulder press.

--Reverse the curl/press,place DB's back on the floor.

--Jump feet back into plank position,Burpee style.

--Do a 'spiderman'/oblique pushup right,then left.

--Return to plank,do a DB row or flye,right then left.

--Jump feet back to starting position and repeat.

I'm sure I'm not the first person in the history of fitness to do this,so if it already has a name,let me know. Mega Burpee from hell?

For now I dub them "AK's". Stands for *kitten*-kickers cuz they do just that. Try a few and you'll see. Also evokes the AK-47,a brutish but effective weapon. I use light DB's when doing them to failure,heavy ones for HIIT.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's a compound exercise. Lots of trainers do them. I do them with my clients.

my most common one is a squat thrust push row.

squat, grab (hexagonal dumbbells only for stability) dumbbells, jump your legs out to a push up position, do 1 pushup, back to squat, deadlift up to standing with dumbbells in hand, then an upright row, transition to a modified clean and press (modified to just transition from the up position of an upright row to a press position), and a full overhead press (either frontal or transverse), reverse everything back to standing and repeat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Note: these are meant to be done with relatively light weight and fast repetitions, concentration should be on form and speed, not weight. This is called a hybrid exercise, similar to body pump and other light resistance classes, it isn't supposed to be straight cardio or straight weight training, it combines some of each to reach higher functional limits (I.E. it's meant to help train fast twitch muscles for greater endurance, power is secondary, as is cardiovascular increases).
  • NoahVail
    Options
    Boss-
    The upright row-to-press portion is how I sometimes do these as well instead of the curl/press. And as for weights,by 'light' I meant 15's and 'heavy' 25's.
    In any case,it is a challenging maneuver and a break from the same old squats and pushups and whatnot.

NV
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty interesting. For the record, if you want an exercise that hits everything, the clean and jerk is your best bet.