Tuck Your Tummy!

Options
If I hear that command from one more peppy fitness instructor I'm going to scream. I. Cannot. Tuck. My. Tummy. Whenever the cue is given it messes up whatever I'm doing, and I find that I'm trying to strike a completely unnatural pose. I have a GUT. It doesn't tuck. So, the question is: how damaging is a cardio workout without tucking the &#Y^@*(!! tummy? My posture tends to slope so that my stomach sticks out in front. I'm 51 years old and this old dog doesn't appear to be learning any new tricks in this regard. Am I negating my workouts?

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. When they start shouting out how to have proper form I get distracted and screw up the rhythm.
  • baoyaoren
    baoyaoren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The muscles in your 'tummy' are half of what stabilizes your back, which is the easiest to be injured. Apart from that your posture has a big effect on the muscles that are involved in making certain movements and with it on the fitness gain. But the risk of injuring yourself is the most important reason why you really should learn to do the moves correctly with good posture.
    A good instructor should show you how to isolate and use those muscles.

Otherwise, for example there are videos on youtube for bellydancing instruction which teach you not only how to contract those muscles but also how to release them on will. It may take some time to get used to it, but it's just a matter of learning how to use a certain muscle group at will. I remember my first instructions told me to put my hands on my stomach and exhale sharply, and feel how the muscles contracted under my hands, and then try to create that motion without exhaling.