breakfast ideas in the car

Options

Replies

• la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?

Yes,,,,,,, How about concentrating on THE ROAD whilst you are driving.

I like how whenever you ask a question in the forums, most people are helpful but there's always those one or two people who try to be a smartass. (And really? You can't drive without eating something in one hand? Unless you drive a stick shift, you are probably coordination impaired and probably shouldn't be driving anyway. )
  • drunkenwaltz
    drunkenwaltz Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I like how whenever you ask a question in the forums, most people are helpful but there's always those one or two people who try to be a smartass. (And really? You can't drive without eating something in one hand? Unless you drive a stick shift, you are probably coordination impaired and probably shouldn't be driving anyway. )

Well, actually, there is evidence to suggest (e.g. Young & Lenné, 2010) that eating in the car is almost as dangerous ans using a mobile in terms of attention impairment. There is no need to insult him when he was only saying it's safer for everyone if you concentrate on the road.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump... I am also looking for quick breakfast ideas!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, actually, there is evidence to suggest (e.g. Young & Lenné, 2010) that eating in the car is almost as dangerous ans using a mobile in terms of attention impairment. There is no need to insult him when he was only saying it's safer for everyone if you concentrate on the road.

Hmm. The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy to me though. I would be surprised if even the "keep it safe" folks haven't eaten while driving
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work.

Eating while driving more than doubles traffic accident rates - may as well wash that egg mcmuffin down with a can or two of PBR.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Hmm. The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy to me though. I would be surprised if even the "keep it safe" folks haven't eaten while driving
    Or just maybe it's personal experience of being hurt by a driver who wasn't concentrating?

Example: the guy who used my knee to take the bumper (US=fender) off his car because he was busy trying to light his cigarette perhaps? Tearing out a cruciate ligament and a cartilage stings a bit....

I used to teach advanced motorcycle skills and rode with some fantastically skilful and safe riders (mostly current or past police traffic officers) and the one thing they had in common was 100% concentration.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Good point. But Com'on, cigs ain't food :smokin:
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    breakfast burritos
    bagel sandwiches
    egg mcmuffin
    yogurt parfait

I like these. I eat breakfast in my car often on the way to work, or once I'm at work
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I fry one egg and 1/4c egg whites in a pan (3 min), fold twice and put in a toasted flatbread bun, maybe pop a tomato or cheese slice in there too. And I eat a greek yogurt cup while it's cooking. Then I take the eggwich in a container to eat in the car.
  • daniellita93
    daniellita93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the night before, put eggs, veggies, spices, and a little bit of milk into a muffin pan. cook at 375 until done, then wrap in foil or put into a tupperware. boom you've got an omelette-to-go.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that no one has suggested reorganizing your time to avoid eating in the car. Not so much because it's dangerous to try to multi-task while driving, but the fact that meals should be eaten and enjoyed in a relaxed way. I am also a teacher. I take my breakfast to school because I like to eat a little later. I arrive at school at 7:45, turn on a little lamp on my desk, plug my phone into Pandora, and sit in the quiet, low light eating my microwaved cinnamon-nutmeg apple with granola on top. And sometimes a bit of bacon. It puts me in a good place for the rest of the day.

I microwave my sliced apple at home, add the spices, and put it in a Ziplock container. The granola goes in a baggie. It takes about 5 minutes to slice and microwave the apple. I wait to put it together so that granola stays crispy.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    love special K protein cereal in a tall coffee mug with my unsweet almond milk, really easy to eat and fits perfectly in the cup holder so no spills
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hormel precooked bacon. Nuke 4 slices (70 cals) for 20 seconds in a folded towel. I make a latte with Kroger carbmaster vanilla skim milk. 11g of protein and only 60cals
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    www.bettycrocker.com
    Breakfast sausage muffins..

Sausage Mixture

3/4 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 can (4 oz) Green Giant™ mushroom pieces and stems, drained
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Baking Mixture
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs

Directions
    Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray

In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cool 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms, salt, sage, and cheese.

In medium bowl stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup sausage mixture . Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto sausage mixture in each muffin cup.

Bake about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and tops of muffins are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan, and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.

Nutrition Information
    Serving Size: 1 Serving (2 Mini Pies) Calories250 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat17g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 1/2g), Cholesterol 105mg Sodium 920mg Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 3g), Protein 14g ; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 6%;

Looks good!
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work.

Eating while driving more than doubles traffic accident rates - may as well wash that egg mcmuffin down with a can or two of PBR.

And turning improperly is (in some studies) the leading cause for all injuries; this includes switching lanes without using your indicators. There are a myriad of reasons for traffic accidents and eating CAN (but not necessarily based on how it is done) fall into the realm of distracted driving but because I don't know how the OP eats her breakfast (maybe she starts in the gym parking lot and then only eats at stop lights) I won't judge her here. BTW, I'm pretty sure you were using hyperbole when you said to "wash that egg mcmuffin [sic] down with a can or two of PBR" but that kind of stuff makes me go "meh" to everything else that person had say.
  • skinnymini2552
    Options
    Easy! Go for this raw oatmeal breakfast that can be made the night before and eaten out of a Mason jar...not to mention incredibly quick and healthy...

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/power-up-with-protein-creamy-overnight-oats-with-raspberries/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Thank god when we're driving it's not important to pay attention to what we're doing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

And turning improperly is (in some studies) the leading cause for all injuries; this includes switching lanes without using your indicators. There are a myriad of reasons for traffic accidents and eating CAN (but not necessarily based on how it is done) fall into the realm of distracted driving but because I don't know how the OP eats her breakfast (maybe she starts in the gym parking lot and then only eats at stop lights) I won't judge her here. BTW, I'm pretty sure you were using hyperbole when you said to "wash that egg mcmuffin [sic] down with a can or two of PBR" but that kind of stuff makes me go "meh" to everything else that person had say.

For some of us, utilization of "meh", even though appropriate in some regional or cultural patois, will cause most people to disregard any intellectual value of a posting from that person. :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I seen an idea where you can make a muffin pan of egg omelets ahead of time then microwave and go. It was on the biggest loser. I would imagine you could put almost anything in them. I think fiber and protein are great ways to start your day. So eggs, meat and some vegies all whipped together into muffin shapes would be a great idea. you could make them on the weekend so you can have them all week. maybe add in different toppings to each one for variety. as far as how long to cook them, I am not sure. BUt I loved the idea when I seen it.

maybe go on the biggest lose site and they may have the recipe. I think bob called them fritatas.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

But if she's eating breakfast with one hand and putting on her makeup with the other, how is she going to hold her cell phone?