is this a good start?

Options
Ill give you guys a bit of insight before I get to the details of the question at hand

I joined a gym a year ago and hated it but was in a contract. I went only a handful of times in the year. My contract is officially ended so I took initiative to find a gym I like more. Which I did (bonus: its across the street from my new place!). Anyways... im still kind of new to fitness as ive never built a routine.

I joined 4 days ago and have each day since.

This is a brief of what ive done.

Day one: 20 mins cardio on elliptical and 10 mims (badly formed/first time) bench pressing 25lbs and bicep curls (12lb)
Day 2: 15 mins cardio on elliptical and 20 minutes doing same bicep curl and 30lb bench (again bad form)
Day 3: (free personal trainer sesh) 6 min treadmill, 45 min various workouts on resistance machines/back extention/arm/leg (total body learning) and bakance ball crunches ending in 5 min on the elliptical.
Day 4: ( today) 10 min elliptical, leg curls (laydown) leg extention, leg press, inner thigh, outer thigh, 6 slow bike mins and ending in 10 mins elliptical. (About 45-60 mins on machines doing between 28-60lb weight at about 4sets of 10-15 reps).

Im not trying to biild muscle. Im going for fat loss... is this ok? Ill resume tomorrow for upper body stuff.

Is this a good start/routine??

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ill give you guys a bit of insight before I get to the details of the question at hand

I joined a gym a year ago and hated it but was in a contract. I went only a handful of times in the year. My contract is officially ended so I took initiative to find a gym I like more. Which I did (bonus: its across the street from my new place!). Anyways... im still kind of new to fitness as ive never built a routine.

I joined 4 days ago and have each day since.

This is a brief of what ive done.

Day one: 20 mins cardio on elliptical and 10 mims (badly formed/first time) bench pressing 25lbs and bicep curls (12lb)
    Day 2: 15 mins cardio on elliptical and 20 minutes doing same bicep curl and 30lb bench (again bad form)
    Day 3: (free personal trainer sesh) 6 min treadmill, 45 min various workouts on resistance machines/back extention/arm/leg (total body learning) and bakance ball crunches ending in 5 min on the elliptical.
    Day 4: ( today) 10 min elliptical, leg curls (laydown) leg extention, leg press, inner thigh, outer thigh, 6 slow bike mins and ending in 10 mins elliptical. (About 45-60 mins on machines doing between 28-60lb weight at about 4sets of 10-15 reps).

Im not trying to biild muscle. Im going for fat loss... is this ok? Ill resume tomorrow for upper body stuff.

Is this a good start/routine??

I am no expert but it is a bit of a mess to be honest, if you don't want to build muscle why are you doing weights? adding muscle is important but you need a plan, i spent six months using any old machine in any old order with no thought, complete waste of time

i do a push pull routine over four days a week with cardio and leg work, have reached my goal weight several months ago, i lost a lot of weight a few years back with no weight training, wasn't a good look to be honest