Tough Mudder

Options
I need something to work towards so I'm thinking of doing this "Tough Mudder" thing next year. Anyone know what training is involved and what needs to be done to prepare well for it? :-)

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You should be able to run 5 miles. You need to build your muscular endurance, in other words - having strong muscles is great - but they're of no use if they are suffocating. So lifting weights at a medium to heavy level - especially for your legs (squats/dl/lunges/goodmornings) and building up that endurance is very important. You'll also want to get in lots of experience moving your own bodyweight around. Pulling yourself up and over things without the use of your feet - rope climbs, bouldering, etc. Increase your grip strength for monkey bars by doing hanging leg raises or playing on the monkey bars. Get into the habit of deep tissue work - foam rolling / tennis balls / adequate stretching after major workout days to avoid injury.

Get all over strong and all over brave and be prepared to be all of this for a few hours and you'll be great. You can't be brave unless you're scared - so do it - register!
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you want to be able to complete the course without any walking or assistance with any obstacles be able to run a marathon (running on trails/in mud for the TM distance is a lot more work than a half marathon despite the slightly shorter distance) and be able to complete 5 or so consecutive pull ups (you won't need that much strength for any one obstacle but may gradually tire over the course). Box jumps might also be helpful for those who have never played a sport that required jumping before.

If you are willing to accept help from fellow Mudders (pushing or pulling you over walls, etc) and don't mind walking for much of the course, being in 5k shape and being able to do a few assisted pullups (with assistance bands, etc) should be sufficient (although you will likely fall in the mud on the monkey bar/rings obstacles if you can't perform any unassisted pull ups).

Far more people work in teams than run alone for time. TM is not timed (except for one event: https://toughmudder.com/events/worlds-toughest-mudder). Most people require help to complete some obstacles and walk at least a good portion of the course. Most races have TONS of first timers a few who have completed TM 10+ times before and everything in between.

Every Mudder I know had fun!
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    I will be doing my 4th one this year, and I train for the obstacles that prove to be the hardest with someone that has my body type. ( I have very muscular legs and no upper body strength) Being able to manipulate your body weight is a huge plus for many of the obstacles there. Running a lot helps too. Good luck fellow mudder, I hope to see you out there.
  • katieobrienps300
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    You should be able to run 5 miles. You need to build your muscular endurance, in other words - having strong muscles is great - but they're of no use if they are suffocating. So lifting weights at a medium to heavy level - especially for your legs (squats/dl/lunges/goodmornings) and building up that endurance is very important. You'll also want to get in lots of experience moving your own bodyweight around. Pulling yourself up and over things without the use of your feet - rope climbs, bouldering, etc. Increase your grip strength for monkey bars by doing hanging leg raises or playing on the monkey bars. Get into the habit of deep tissue work - foam rolling / tennis balls / adequate stretching after major workout days to avoid injury.

Get all over strong and all over brave and be prepared to be all of this for a few hours and you'll be great. You can't be brave unless you're scared - so do it - register!

amen sister!
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just finished the TM in SoCal...For the record, I don't run 5 miles and can only do about 3 proper pull ups. I did every obstacle except Everest unassisted. It's not easy. They have massive/evil mountains, instead of doing a ton of running to prep for the next one, I'll be hiking. I still have nightmares about the death march. I don't ever plan to run the entire thing, just about everyone hikes up the mountains.

Increase your grip strength if needed. They have a couple that require that you can hold your own body weight with one hand. Tricep Dips, Pull ups, rope climbs, go to a school and do the monkey bars a couple times a week. Toughen up your hands too so you won't need gloves.

And although not necessary (since most people there will help anyone that needs it) getting a team built is awesome. There were only 3 of us last weekend, but 6 so far for the next one. I guess like most things it's nice to have people to do it with.

All in all, it proves to be the most fun I ever have! Oh yeah, wear something other than black. They post hundreds of pics and it'll be easier to spot yourself! Good luck!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You should definitely go for it! I've done two now - the first one last year I did by myself and this year's was with some team-mates. Both were great fun and an awesome challenge.
    I would recommend working on your running - the courses are usually 10 - 12 miles in total but there are only short distances between obstacles - I would say max 2 miles between any two obstacles. Working on overall strength would be a great help too - there's lots of climbing and pulling involved and also mobility a bit for crawling and squeezing through things. There's quite a fun variety of Mudder workouts on the website : https://toughmudder.co.uk/training
    You could get some ideas from these and tailor to suit yourself.
    Go for it!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We've got 2 guys that are training for the monster of Worlds Toughest Mudder, they've done double days of TM in Scotland over the last 3 years, they race it individually on the Saturday and then there's a team entry on the Sunday. They were under 1hr 45min for the Scottish one in June.
    Even if you enter and run it on your own, there's still loads of people out on the course to help you and everyone has a great time, go for a laugh, don't take it too seriously and you'll be fine and have fun!
    The advice they always give for TM is to put in the training for the running, others can and will help you with the obstacles, but they can't help you with the running part of it.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've ran 3 TM's to far. Be able to run 5k without a massive shortage of breath. As far as obstacles... every one I've been to had different ones but they all had strength involved (pulling yourself up, climbing, etc.) and be able to army crawl.

And don't wear good clothes, lol.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    GillianMcK wrote: »
    We've got 2 guys that are training for the monster of Worlds Toughest Mudder, they've done double days of TM in Scotland over the last 3 years, they race it individually on the Saturday and then there's a team entry on the Sunday. They were under 1hr 45min for the Scottish one in June.
    Even if you enter and run it on your own, there's still loads of people out on the course to help you and everyone has a great time, go for a laugh, don't take it too seriously and you'll be fine and have fun!
    The advice they always give for TM is to put in the training for the running, others can and will help you with the obstacles, but they can't help you with the running part of it.

Awesome!