Looking at Garmin Forerunner 15, thoughts?

Options
My current set up is using Endomondo for running on my phone, and i've recently bought a FitBit and using that, although i do find it handy , the taking on and off for charging a bit annoying.

I do some running 5/10k, play a bit of GAA and go to the gym for spinning, lifting weights.

I was thinking of getting the Forerunner 15 watch with HRM. The calorie aspect of my work outs i wanted to nail properly for the gym and the GPS of the watch and step counter looks very handy for running. Also the step counter for during the day by default is an added bonus

Is this excessive bit of kit for what i need?

Does the Garmin integrate well? Will i have to plug the garmin into PC and sync with Endmondo for it to then sync with My Fitness Pal?

I haven't actually held the watch yet, anyone with one know is it a huge chunk on your wrist?

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 220 and love it. So much better than dragging a phone along.

The Garmin 15 also does step counting as you know, which is very nice. You simply connect it to your computer via included usb charger and it automatically uploads to Garmin's website; called "Garmin Connect".

Garmin Connect is very similar to Endomondo for displaying your runs, stats, reports; though I find endomono's reports a bit better.

You can import all your legacy data from endomondo into Garmin Connect if you like and just stop using endomondo. Gamrin connect will sync with MFP just like endomondo does. it will send MFP the calories you burn and MFP sends garmin connect the calories consumed so both sites stay in sync.

If you Want to keep using Endomondo; there is a web service called "tapirik" that will automatically sync Garmin connect with Endomondo in the background. That way you can add workouts to either web site and they will appear both places. IF you do this; only connect one of them to MFP or MFP will get your workouts twice.

Highly recommend Garmin GPS watches if you do a lot of walking or running. I dont use the HRM myself, but it is nice to have that option easily added. And the 15 gives you the added benefit of GPS and step tracking in one package. The only minor downside I see to the FR 15 is that it doesnt sync to your phone via bluetooth. You have to attach it to your PC to xfer the data. But you have to attach it to a PC to charge anyway; so its not a big deal.
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey cwrig!

Thanks for the reply!

Exactly thinking the same, i do like the fact that my phone will automatically sync as soon as the exercise is done, but i need to sync the fitbit to it first!

I think i might go take a look at the Garmin in a shop to see how big it is as it is looking like a good option for me :)