Need advice with my first weight gain

Options
Hi guys! I just need some advice. I started MFP last June 3. Since that point up to July 26, i have been losing weight consistently. Weighing once every week for the past 8 weeks and losing an average of 2.75 pounds. However, my weigh in today was a shocker to me. Not only did I not lose any, I actually gained 0.1 pound. Of course 0.1 is nothing but still I am puzzled as to why I did not lose any this week from July 26 - Aug 3. I consistently followed the C25K program. I actually just ended week 6. On the rest days I add good walks as I have always done. My food is also controlled. Here are the only differences in other weeks that i can think of:

1. I have severe infection in my tonsils. So aside from medicine, I have been taking lemon strepsils alot. I can't find sugar free anywhere.
2. Lately i noticed that i am actually having a hard time reaching 1200 calories. I have been so controlled of what I eat, I am actually eating less than 1200. So what I do is i try to fill the gap by eating late at night. Sadly those late night snacks are not super healthy. Often they are McDonald nuggets. Of course I only eat enough till I reach the 1200 limit then I stop. I chose to eat them because of the protein. The reason why late at night is because I work starting 10pm. So once I input my food intake at the office, that is the only time I discover that I am under eating. So i rush to the nearest fast food.

My food diary is public http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jrpenafiel . If someone can take a look and see something wrong with what I did this past week I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Replies

• Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fast food contains a lot of sodium which will cause a water weight gain. Besides, weight will fluctuate daily. But as long as you continue a downward trend, it's nothing to fret over.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and can fluctuate even a few pounds from day to day. It could be sodium, stress, increase in exercise, etc. Just be glad you aren't a woman have have to deal with water weight due to TOM! One tenth of a pound is nothing to worry about; just keep doing what you've been if it's been successful.
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Hello,

Water retention plays a big part, we all fluctuate throughout the month, I would drink plenty of water to flush out the sodium.

????
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A few people on here have posted graphs of their weight loss, showing the spikes that occur on a day to day basis...the overall trend was downwards, but there were lots of days where it spiked up, then down, then up... you just need to accept that weight loss is not linear, as others have said. So many factors can cause weight to fluctuate, outside of fat gain, that it is a very bad idea to attach to much importance to the day to day, or even week to week fluctuations. For all you know, you might have been a Ib lighter the previous day and simply be up this weigh day, due to heavier weight of food, higher sodium levels, hormones, muscles retaining water...any number of reasons.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am noticing a lack of oils, sauces, dressings, and seasonings in your diary. Are you using any of those when preparing, marinating, cooking, or eating your food?

For example,

Mcdonalds - 10 Piece Nugget, 6 nuggets on 7/31/2014

No sauce on those nuggets? Those things are dry! I couldn't do it. ;)

Also, all of the pork that you're eating has no oil logged. In general, do not use prelogged items. Account for each ingredient separately and you'll get a more accurate representation of what you're consuming.

I hope this helps.
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    thanks for the help guys. I will reduce my sodium intake. I started monitoring it now.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    How many strepsils are you eating a day. I have to remember to log my cough drops because I can absentmindedly go through 10-15 a day when I have an infection and that's an extra 100-150 calories. It's not a lot but something to consider.
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    Around 4 a day. I also forget to log that most of the time
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    You know the answer to your own question. "I'm eating less than 1200 calories.."