Vegan Recipes needed

Options
2»

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Let's see, some of my faves are: fresh rolls, pureed veg soups (usually squash), peanut sauce on rice noodles w/ veggies, bbq beans (vegan, homemade), veg minestrone, veg curry w/ coconut milk over brown rice... the good news is that all of these are very inexpensive as well :)
  • CarolineW37
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who eats mostly vegan (probably 80%).

I'm a big snacker, and I tend to eat smaller snacks at points throughout the day as opposed to big meals. Some reasonably cheap and easy things that I'm crazy about:

-pita chips and hummus or veggies and hummus

-chickpeas sprinkled with curry, cayenne, turmeric, and/or nutritional yeast baked in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 mins (stir once halfway through roasting)

-apples and peanut butter or celery and peanut butter

-layer fresh salsa on top of a veggie burger, then divide in half and stick each side into half of a whole wheat pita pocket

-plain popcorn sprinkled with curry, paprika, and/or nutritional yeast

-pita pizzas! Top a whole wheat pita with a light coating of tomato sauce, pile on a ton of fresh veggies (just mix and match your favorites), add some minced garlic and/or fresh herbs and then you can optionally add either nutritional yeast, a few sprinkles of vegan Parmesan or 1/4 cup of shredded vegan cheese. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

-my favorite dessert: Almond Dream yogurt (or any non-dairy yogurt) mixed with fresh berries and a tablespoon of granola

I also make a really mean stir-fry, I if I do say so myself! I struggled for a while with making them flavorful without an astronomical sodium content (because the base of a lot of stirfries is either soy sauce or a high-sodium marinade) but I think I've struck a good balance now.

I heat up a tablespoon of oil in my skillet, add a tablespoon of minced ginger and minced garlic and stir for another few minutes, add whatever veggies I have on hand and stir for another 5-7 minutes, add my protein (tofu, tempeh, whatever) and stir for another 5-7 minutes, then add: several splashes of whatever vinegar I'm in the mood for, a few dashes of lemon or lime juice, 1-2 teaspoons of hot sauce if you like heat, and a few dashes of curry, paprika, cumin, cayenne, garam masala, or whatever spices tickle your fancy. Taste and adjust spices accordingly. Voila!!

Happy cooking - hope that helps!! :)

: