ketones and weight loss?

Cr8tive_Ingenuity
Cr8tive_Ingenuity Posts: 181
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been dieting for about a month now and when i eat low carbs i tend to have a low level of ketones in my urine, which is good. a byproduct of fat. i find that after i do eat a heavier meal than usual 5 to 6 hours later i find my ketone level to be moderate, the strip is purple, not slightly pink. to be specific on my diet i usually eat carbs in the morning, usually a salad with some carbs (salad dressing) and protein for dinner.. today my diet was a bit different..i had a bagel in the morning, was so busy today i ate lunch around 4pm which i considered it dinner and then i excerised for 30 minutes around 8pm..i tested my ketones around 10pm and they where moderate as stated previously..my caloric intake for the day was about 1500 calories before excerise but i did go along time without food. this is unusual for me as i usually eat several small meals throughout the day. will i be more efficient at weigh loss with moderate ketones or shoud i keep them a low level and be better off?

Replies

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    I just wanted to know what people thought you should do.
  • bump :)
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    It is my understanding that a higher level of ketones in your urine indicates burning fat a higher rate, is this not correct? If so, that would mean moderate would be better than low.
  • Okay, the color of your ketone strip does NOT have any indication of it you are burning more or less fat. It simply means that your body is releasing more ketones into your urine. Any shade of pink/purple means that you are in ketosis, therefore burning body fat.

Therefore, if you test yourself before a meal, your ketone strip will be lighter than after a fatty meal. This is simply because your body doesn't need those ketones and releases them into your urine or lungs.
This discussion has been closed.