Is Starvation mode overrated?

Options
2»

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I was going to read that post, but I saw it was about 10 pages and gave up. :laugh:

Which is why you came to this conclusion:
    I have heard about not eating and after a while your body eats your own muscle.
    Edited by tuckeychicken On August 4, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The problem with starvation mode is the same with other areas of weight management. Some people don't understand the concepts. Eating too few calories over a long period of time is the cause of starvation. It doesn't happen in a few days. Many people are very successful using various Intermittent Fasting methods. If anyone gets fat from doing plenty of cardio then they are eating too much food after they leave the gym. Otherwise, it’s hogwash. Eating in a calorie deficiency causes your body to lose fat and muscle. This is the reason strength or weight training is highly recommended because it preserve the preserve the muscles and while burning fat.
  • andreakurylo
    andreakurylo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ^ Good luck expecting people to read all that.

You need to make your posts a lot more concise if you are going to get your points across.

Oh I'm so sorry u feel that way...but I only post things to truly help people. I didn't realize people were actually on this forum for social networking or because they're bored. I've successfully losr 21 pounds in one month and am extremely healthy and full of energy so I'd like to share that with people...in hopes that others will also be successful! A lot of people starting diets for the first time have a lot of questions and I'd like to cover them all in one post. Fad dieting is NOT the way to go, it's all about cutting calories and carbs and excising! And if u were only here to find out if "starvation mode" is real, then you could have went to the link in the very beginning of my post and read for yourself and skipped the rest. Starvation Mode is not anything near what people think it is. Your body doesn't eat itself nor does it start burning muscle if you eat too little!!!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

You need to make your posts a lot more concise if you are going to get your points across.

Oh I'm so sorry u feel that way...but I only post things to truly help people. I didn't realize people were actually on this forum for social networking or because they're bored. I've successfully losr 21 pounds in one month and am extremely healthy and full of energy so I'd like to share that with people...in hopes that others will also be successful! A lot of people starting diets for the first time have a lot of questions and I'd like to cover them all in one post. Fad dieting is NOT the way to go, it's all about cutting calories and carbs and excising! And if u were only here to find out if "starvation mode" is real, then you could have went to the link in the very beginning of my post and read for yourself and skipped the rest. Starvation Mode is not anything near what people think it is. Your body doesn't eat itself nor does it start burning muscle if you eat too little!!!
    you're right, but most of what you said could be summed up into one sentence. its not a matter of right or wrong its a matter of posting information in a way that newbies can understand it, your first post had some good info but it was too long for what you were trying to say
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If the studies done are correct, being overweight and then losing the weight makes it so you can't-for years or possibly ever- maintain your new weight on the same number of calories as your eternally skinny friend of the same height, weight, and activity level.

This seems to be a very real form of starvation mode. Since I like to eat, it does not make me happy. But if there is ever a famine all you skinny people who were never fat are going to die first, and then I'm going to give you a decent and respectful burial and take your stuff. :tongue:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.long
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/988.abstract
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options

No need to get riled up.
    If you are truly trying to help people, you need to keep your posts concise or most people will miss what you are trying to say.

I'm not being snarky here - just realistic about how forums work.

Just some friendly advice, that's all - you can take it or leave it.