Stocking the fridge keeps making me broke!

Options
2»

Replies

• babbyb1
    babbyb1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you quit buying so much juice. Drinking juice and milk isn't good when your body needs water. I keep a large container full of water in my fridge. It's more appealing to drink when I'm thirsty in the heat and feel hungry. I would also keep healthy snacks instead of candy and chips. I'm vegan/gluten free but some healthy snacks would be a lot better than cereal in the afternoon when they come home from school. You're going to have to buy the food and then show them how to eat it. Make sandwiches with whole wheat bread and nut butter, carrots and hummus. You can buy dehydrated hummus and make it yourself. Eggs, avocados, grapes, tortilla chips and salsa, almonds, bananas etc.

I would love to know more, as my oldest son is gluten free. I am also interested in making healthy snacks. I'm a meat eater, but am definitely looking at food choices where meat is NOT the star.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you quit buying so much juice. Drinking juice and milk isn't good when your body needs water. I keep a large container full of water in my fridge. It's more appealing to drink when I'm thirsty in the heat and feel hungry.

Are you saying that these other liquids won't help with hydration?

I don't know how big families do it personally. At my place it is just me and my fiancé and our fridge is always chock full and we have a chest freezer too.

Fridge normally has:
    meat defrosting
    various dairy (cottage cheese, yoghurt, ricotta, cream cheese, milk, shredded cheese)
    eggs
    various sauces and stuff
    veggies
    Then it's full

Freezer:
    various meats
    frozen veg
    frozen berries
    ice cream
    egg whites
  • SkylineJan
    Options
    Home made iced tea - you can control the sugar, and the cost is extremely reasonable.