not made to run

Options
Sadly, I really don't think my body is supposed to be used for running.
From the first moment my feet hit the ground my knees and ankles start to ache. I never get to see how far I can actually go because my bones ache. By the time I've had as much as I can take (usually 3-4 miles on a regular day) I have to take medicine for the pain and sometimes I still lie in bed at night with pain in my lower extremities.
I have been told by doctors and physical therapists that running just isn't good for me, but I love it.
Does anyone have any problem like this or know of something that will help?
I can't stop running, so I have to find a way to stop this pain.

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    From the first moment my feet hit the ground my knees and ankles start to ache. I never get to see how far I can actually go because my bones ache. By the time I've had as much as I can take (usually 3-4 miles on a regular day) I have to take medicine for the pain and sometimes I still lie in bed at night with pain in my lower extremities.
    I have been told by doctors and physical therapists that running just isn't good for me, but I love it.
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same with me. My feet feel like they're going to snap in half. I'm heavy with tiny (and bad) feet. Doesn't work. I wish it would because walking takes too long.
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I feel your pain. I want to become a "runner" so badly, but everytime I try reality hits! I can't even run long enough for my lungs to start burning, because my shins feel like their going to snap in two!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm no expert or anything but have you ever checked into orthopedic insoles for your shoes? I'm from germany and they are very concerned when it comes to backaches and feet hurting. I think the meijer stores have a machine you step on and it showes if your arches are to high or low or if you put your weight on the wrong part of your foot.... It also gives you the insoles you should put into your shoes. I wold say it is worth a try if it works you can save the meds and if it doesn't your not out of a lot of money . They also have something that's called the good feet store... maybe something to check into?
    I wish you luck
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    one word (spelled wrong I'm sure) ELLIPTICAL! Same running motion depending on the machine you get, but it's a fluid motion, no jarring, only downside is no running outdoors, but you get the same great feeling afterwards!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Ok I'm no expert or anything but have you ever checked into orthopedic insoles for your shoes? I'm from germany and they are very concerned when it comes to backaches and feet hurting. I think the meijer stores have a machine you step on and it showes if your arches are to high or low or if you put your weight on the wrong part of your foot.... It also gives you the insoles you should put into your shoes. I wold say it is worth a try if it works you can save the meds and if it doesn't your not out of a lot of money . They also have something that's called the good feet store... maybe something to check into?
    I wish you luck
    This is a great idea! I've heard it really helps. I get terrible pain in my shins when I run, I feel like I am missing out!!!!
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I took me a couple of months before my shin splints went away. Some days they were horrible, but I kept through it and just walked when they were that bad. They finally went away. I have no pain now when I run and I usually run about 2-3 miles a couple times a week.

I also can't run on a treadmill without getting some sort of pain. I do much better outside. I'm not sure why.

Make sure you are warming up and cooling down as well as stretching before and after.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I feel your pain. I want to become a "runner" so badly, but everytime I try reality hits! I can't even run long enough for my lungs to start burning, because my shins feel like their going to snap in two!

Shin pain is most likely due to your shoes. If you go to MFP Running Club may 15, there is a post about running shoes there, sorry I don't have the link here:blushing:
    Secondly, if you are new to running I would suggest this:
    Warm up for 5 minutes at a brisk walk, then run 2 minutes, then walk 2, run 2, walk 2, etc. If you can't do 2 minutes at first start out with 1 minute. Do this for 20-30 minutes. You can increase your increments times or your session time or both.
    A good website to check out is Jeff Galloway's, he is a running master and swears anyone of any age can run.:happy:
    Ok, here's the link, the shoes info is about 3/4 of the way down the page
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13712-may-15-mfp-runner-s-club?page=1
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am not too terribly new to running, but I haven't been able to be an avid runner due to this.
    I got my shoes fitted at the store and I got orthotics made for my shoes (I have them made for every shoes I own because my feet/legs/joints/hips are in such bad shape- it sucks being 20 and having the body of a 70 year old..)

ugh, i'm too frustrated.

I would do the elliptical but I am so ADD I get bored really quickly. I guess I'll just have to take it light and elliptical as long as possible.

thanks yall
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    If you work out at a gym, try 1o minutes on elliptical, 10 minutes on stairstepper or arc glider and 10 minutes on treadmill(doing the interval walk/run. I hate being on the elliptical, I have to play games with myself, rhis winter I amazed even myself when I did 50 minuteson the stairmaster:laugh: I'm not one who can watch tv and workout, so the machines are SOOOO boring for me:tongue:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

You could try Lyprinol. Google that and see what you think. After I have taken it for a few days, the pain in my hands subsides, allowing me to practice the piano the amount I need. It's a highly concentrated, non-smelly, fish-oil type supplement that works as a very effective anti-inflammatory without the side effects of i.e. ibuprophen .
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I take Xango every day and more on the days that I run. It totally helps my knees, takes the inflammation out and my recovery time it quicker!!!
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's why I love the elliptical. The way to make it more interesting for me is to watch television while I'm doing it. Then I get distracted from the repetitiveness, and it makes me want to stay on the machine until the show or the show after it is finished! I once did elliptical for over two hours because I loved the show I was watching so much! ;)
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to your dilemna. I was invited to join a running club with the stipulation that I could walk/run or even walk. Prior to that all I was doing was water aerobics because of joint issues. I've been walking for 5 week now, 3X a week, and am up to 4.0 - 4.5 mpr. Now I even pass up the jogger on really hot days. I may stick to power walking since the pounding of running just isn't good for me long term.
    Maybe we should start a MFP power walking (it just sounds better than plain walking) club! We could connect and support eachother like the runner do!

Any interest?
  • jvball21
    jvball21 Posts: 33
    Options
    I've found that running styles can have a bad effect on knees, even if you have the best of shoes. Before I really got into running, I noticed that my heel would strike the ground first. This causes the the knees to take a hard hit. After reading many articles, I started to see a trend where experienced runners were landing on the balls of their feet with the heel slightly hitting too, but the first thing to strike the ground was the ball of your foot. This causes your muscles (calves mainly) to do more of the work and removes the stress on the knees or at least a good part of it. This is the way I run now. At first the calves get a real workout and soreness is sure to follow. Eventually the calves get stronger and stronger to handle longer distances.

If you have trouble imagining this motion and it's effects compared to striking with the heel first, try this... run in place, you'll most likely be landing on the balls of your feet as your doing it. Now keep running in place, but make the effort to land with your heel first... notice the big difference on the stress to the knees?

If your used to running a certain way, its not easy to change. For me it wasn't a problem because I didn't run regularly before, and I didn't have a style implanted in me, so basically I just started to do this as if this was the way to run.

This may not be a solution for everyone, because there might be other circumstances involved. But it works for me.
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Running ahhhh:sad:

lol two fo the most common mistakes are:

1) not warming up adequately OR cooling down aferwards:

...indeed we bend about a bit, do a half hearted attempt at warming muscles we are not aware of and the off we go.....we get home...literally dying, and no sense of achievement....knowing the only comfort for this pain is a hot bath and chocolate and go about walking like john wayne for the next week and aching in very odd places!!!

a good warm up and cool down lasts 15 mins...yes it add time on the whole run process but this is where the difference is made...muscles are you tool..they allow you to run...give the loving...you can not expect to beast them for a 30 min run on the road and react kindly....

2) Building it up to runnning:

...from my own experience the tranistion from no running to runing...is a huge shock to the body (no suprise really!!!!) and when you through yourself into it too fast then pain hits...enthusiasm vanishes and the fact you can hardly walk, breathe or pass wind without pain haunts you for days after!!!

the soultion...yes i am sorry but ideally you should begin walking first, this is so the body can adjust to the exertion, then you can build up to running at intervals lasting 1 min and returning to walking for 5/10/20 min (whatever is comfortable)...as your body adjusts you will find that you are more and more able to manage the level of exertion during the running periods...when you feel ready you can begin to space the intervals so they are shorter...

in addition you can also see you progress...running is like changing your eating habits its hard to do...but when done properly so very rewarding and you WILL SEE RESULTS...

know this is a long one...but i promise these nake the world of difference, after reading up on running i went from "you got to be kidding i am NEVER do that again"...to thinking actually that was really good....

other things that help....good trainers, good bra (ladies) and keeping a journal/wall chart of you progress...havesometing visual really helps

ok before i write a novel i am off good luck and try try again xxx:flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem too, I have weak ankles from injuries in boot camp. Just make sure you are stretching good before and after.