Email - Food Cravings

Options
mlh612
mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
Just a little email I received from Healthy B*tch Daily - good read.....Good Luck Everyone!! :smile:

Blame It On The Allergies
A food allergy might just be the culprit behind those junk food cravings

Pizza flavored Pringles. Double chocolate chip brownies. Late-night runs to the Green Burrito drive thru. Even you—the healthiest b*tch of all—has problems keeping your hands out of the cookie jar. But why do we crave crap that's oh-so-bad for us?

Blame it on the allergies. Just because you're not itchy, sneezy and blowing snot all over the place doesn't mean your body isn't rejecting something you're stuffing down your throat.

Here’s the lowdown on why a food allergy might just be to blame for those chronic food cravings:

More Than a Craving

James Braly, MD, medical director of York Nutritional Laboratories and author of Food Allergy Relief, believes that food cravings may actually be a telltale sign of a food addiction. Symptoms of food addiction include headaches, insomnia, irritability and depression. Self-medicating with the foods you crave may relieve these symptoms—but only temporarily. If you think you may be addicted, there's a chance you have a food allergy. If you think an allergy might be to blame for your food cravings, talk to your physician or a holistic wellness expert to identify and eliminate suspected food allergens such as gluten and dairy products.

People with uncontrollable food cravings may also not produce enough serotonin—the feel-good hormone that, may we remind you, does not come in Almond Fudge Coconut Bliss flavor. We've said it before, but junk food can produce the same addictive response in the brain as nicotine or cocaine.

“Comfort” Food

Sometimes our cravings are not physical, but emotional. Stress, anxiety, fear, boredom and loneliness can all trigger food cravings. C'mon, didn't you ever see "Bridget Jones' Diary"?! It's the same 'ole story ... girl gets dumped and goes on a major ice cream binge and just makes herself feel even more unattractive. Except in real life, the script doesn't always call for a happy ending.

If you’ve been spurned—and who hasn’t?—remember that looking and feeling healthy is the best revenge. Don’t sabotage yourself by giving into the urge to overindulge. Instead, go for a walk with your friends, cook, or if you’re the sporty type, go for a jog to clear your head and give yourself a damn good reason to avoid bad cravings. How bout them apples?

Combat Cravings

To strengthen your resolve against food cravings, try these tips:

Brush your teeth and gargle with a healthy mouthwash to throw off your taste buds. Click here for a do-it-yourself recipe from our friends at Care2.com.
Chew on a sugarless gum made with natural xylitol. Try Glee Gum*, Peppersmith, or Zapp! Gum.
Meditate (Don’t knock it ‘til you try it!)
Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day
If you reaaalllly need to satisfy that craving:

Choose a healthy substitute (i.e. if you want potato chips, try baked tortilla chips instead. You know the drill ...)
Give in, but obey the principle of portion control
Of course, it’s fine to order dessert sometimes or get popcorn at the movie theater. I mean, you're human. Just remember, food cravings shouldn’t affect your overall sense of self or well-being.

* Contains beeswax

Susan Emmer, FOOD Feature Editor
Susan is a certified whole health educator and coach treading on both wellness and green terrain. Earning an environmental studies degree before green was the new black, Susan is the co-owner of the boutique sustainability marketing and PR firm, Farmacy Agency. Follow her on Twitter at @wellnewsnetwork.

Replies

• pristine40
    Options
    I read this from an e-mail i recieved from them. Very good info. Love the reminder.. :))
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Interesting. Never thought of it that way before. Thanks for posting; much appreciated!!
  • hazelbutton
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this, it's definitely something to think about. I can resist my cravings most of the time, except for the week before my period. Then, I have no self-control!