Flexibiity issues

Options
I have lost a lot of weight, and I do pretty frequent cardio and a running program. I've noticed that I am terribly stiff and completely non flexible. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good video I can do at home with my 16 year old that will increase our flexibility. I have googled it, but I really appreciate advice from someone who has actually found one they like.

Any opinions are welcome :)

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Very quiet here on Sunday mornings. I assume that's cause everyone is working out :P
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like any of Rodney Yee's yoga DVDs. I do Rodney Yee's "A.M. Yoga" at least 3 times a week -- it has five 25-minute practices. I choose one to do after I get up and before I get in the shower for work. My flexibility has increased a great deal with regular, short practices.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexibility, and you can find lots of free videos on hulu and youtube.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I am a big believer in Yoga. I have an old video which is called" The Alaska Fitness Connection", which is excellent for all people who want to get more flexible. The professor teaching is takes a lot of care to explain everything and the exercises are performed by people of different flexibility level. I highly recommend it. It is a Kundalini Yoga tape, so the instructor is a Sikh and there is some chanting involved, but that is beneficial for breathing too. Look if you can find it. I am going to look too because I would like to have it on DVD as I have retired my VHS player to a room where I do not do Yoga.

In the meantime I googled the tape. It is still available used and it is called Yoga for relaxation , but it is very old and very expensive. I am going to search for something else.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Gaining flexibility takes even longer than gaining muscle. The ligaments have to become longer and they grow even more slowly than muscle. Point is, do not become discouraged if you cannot tie yourself in knots after diligently following the exercises for 6 months or a year.

Yoga is excellent for strength in addition to flexibility. I find it very calming as well. I can only do very basic exercises and they are very successful for pulling the kinks out of this over-50-yo carcass.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    This guy was not very flexible but what a transformation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • littleancientheart
    littleancientheart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try Classical Stretch with Miranda Esmonde-White!
    http://www.classicalstretch.com

You can find it on your local PBS station, or buy it by the season on DVD. The DVDs are pricey so I would try it out on tv first, but I love it! She's in her sixties and looks amazing. The stretching really leaves you feeling lengthened and loose, but also builds strength. You'll feel a difference right away, and if you do it for a few weeks you will see the difference in your tone!

ETA: it's just over 20 minutes per episode so very convenient if you have a busy schedule, but still really effective. Good luck :-)
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I agree that Miranda Esmond White is excellent. Unfortunately she is on at a time when I go biking in the morning. I guess you can find the tapes cheaper on ebay.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    PiYo !
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like any of Rodney Yee's yoga DVDs. I do Rodney Yee's "A.M. Yoga" at least 3 times a week -- it has five 25-minute practices. I choose one to do after I get up and before I get in the shower for work. My flexibility has increased a great deal with regular, short practices.

^^ This! His video's are highly rated, so any of them are good. It does wonders with flexibility.
  • lizhamburger
    Options
    On YouTube, search 30 day yoga challenge. I started day one today. Was good fun. I'm terribly unflexible so I'm hoping this helps
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    On YouTube by Joe DeFranco

Limber 11
    Simple 6
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A BIG Thank You for all your help!! I am going to go look for a few. I shop (wayyyy too much) on Amazon frequently, so I'm hoping I'll find a few.

Meanwhile..Jillian's 30 day shred kicked my *ss. AGAIN

Thank you :)
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Checking in to read later!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I vote for yoga as well :-) http://www.doyogawithme.com/ is where I started. And I started with the ones for seniors because I was so inflexible lol It's helped me A LOT. But don't get discouraged, yoga is hard!!
  • isthisolivia
    isthisolivia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yoga is fantastic as previous posters have suggested. What has also helped me was a lot of barre/ballet stuff. In person i did Dailey Method which i love and then I transitioned it to at home with the awesome Ballet Beautiful videos as well. I feel like not only did i become way more flexible, but my posture GREATLY improved with barre and ballet. Coming from running, i was the least flexible person ever.

For yoga, i like Yoga Journal's complete home practice, Rodney Yee, and Sara Ivanhoe. Also, a yoga strap is one of the great things that can assist you in flexibility poses.

And lastly, a foam roller. Best investment to loosen your muscles both before and after your workouts. Love it. Its really great for your stuck muscles.