Outdoor exercisers: sunscreen tips?

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
Anyone have a particularly good sunscreen to recommend? Problems (eg: staining clothes, wearing off quickly) that make you avoid particular kinds or brands?

I've been using trader joe's spray-on, standing in the shower stall so I control the overspray, then putting my shirt on afterward because I'm not sure if the sunscreen stains fabric or not. It works well and covers parts of my back that are hard to reach, but leaves a film on the shower floor.

Anyone have suggestions for easy to use sunscreens? Anyone know if the Trader Joes thing is anti-stain?

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Bump to see the responses! I've been using the Safeway store brand spray-on, and it definitely DOES stain.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida, do my best to avoid tanning, and wear at least SPF 50. We use a variety, based mostly on price, as I really don't see much of a difference among the brands. Even Walmart's store brand does a good job. The only staining is some yellowing on whites if I spray it directly on them. I tend to put it on then get dressed to avoid that problem and I wear mostly black anyway.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena spray in the yellow can. I don't know what they brand it, but its great.

For faces I use their liquid logic 30. They make a sweat proof one but it only comes in spf70 which is too much for my liking.

I would also recommend a quality moisturizer sunblock combo, I use jack blacks or kiehls and like both.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2rmniuv.jpg
  • susieqtx123
    susieqtx123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find that if I mix my ordinary body/ or face moisturizer in with my sun cream it doesn't stain my clothes, not to mention the fact that it makes my sun cream last for ages and ages!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just like the plain Coppertone SPF 30 oil-free. It works just as well as anything else, and it's decently inexpensive. I can't stand breathing in all the fumes from the spray sunscreen.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to chemical sunscreens so I use the mineral ones (zinc and titanium dioxide based). Lately, that has often meant buying ones marked for use on babies. They're very high SPF, which is perfect for faces.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use target brand spray-on sport sunscreen. Works just fine for me! Haven't seen any staining either. On my face I have a SPF 70 neotrogena sunscreen lotion, which doesn't run when I sweat, which is great; I use that on my face and my neck/chest, then spray my arms and legs.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to chemical sunscreens so I use the mineral ones (zinc and titanium dioxide based). Lately, that has often meant buying ones marked for use on babies. They're very high SPF, which is perfect for faces.

Actually those are great tips. I'm sensitive to everything.

I also tend to use sunscreen marked for babies and children, I've just noticed that always seems to be the highest SPF stuff available. Somebody above said that SPF 70 is "too much" and I'm like "how can there be TOO MUCH sun protection? What does that even mean?"

But then I'm a redhead, so.

As for staining, I put the spray stuff on nekkid to minimize the problem, but I end up with stains at the margins of my light-colored clothes and sometimes on the inner lining, but most particularly the collar of my shirt or even the edges of my (white) swim cap.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use Coppertone Sport spray. It seems to stay on well and I haven't noticed any staining.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just don't use waterproof sunblocks when running as they don't let you sweat and regulate your body temperature as well. Be careful applying on your forehead as well, as if sunscreen runs off into your eyes when sweating you'll be pretty unhappy. A visor or ballcap works a bit better for that area.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I understand that the cream sunscreens work better. I put them on 30 minutes before going out. I use 50spf and I'm olive. I get a nice tan that way.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend SolRx brand sunscreen. You order it online, and it's the BEST sunscreen I've ever worn. We used it snorkeling 8-10 hours a day in Hawaii last year and it really worked great! It doesn't leave a yucky feeling on your skin too. I wish is found it sooner! We live in AZ and wear it a lot!