Eating Back Morning Calories?

Options
So i workout on an empty stomach every morning, i prefer it this way and it makes me less hungry through out the day and keeps me way more motivated. I burn about 250 calories (Cardio exercise) I log it into MFP and it adds calories onto my daily intake. I am aware i am supposed to eat back the calories i burn throughout the day, but does that apply to the calories i burned without eating any food?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So i workout on an empty stomach every morning, i prefer it this way and it makes me less hungry through out the day and keeps me way more motivated. I burn about 250 calories (Cardio exercise) I log it into MFP and it adds calories onto my daily intake. I am aware i am supposed to eat back the calories i burn throughout the day, but does that apply to the calories i burned without eating any food?

Yes
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My question for you is, why wouldn't it?
  • _monicagarner
    _monicagarner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lol i don't know i wasn't exactly sure, so i was just making sure because it was confusing when i heard people saying eat back the food you burned off so yeah.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes. These are numbers for your entire day. It is irrelevant as to when the calories are burned or consumed.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Lol i don't know i wasn't exactly sure, so i was just making sure because it was confusing when i heard people saying eat back the food you burned off so yeah.

Oh honey, no. You're eating back calories burned not food burned off that you've eaten previously that day.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Err Why would you think just because you didn't eat before exercise you wouldn't have eat them back? Think logically
  • kuntinsaigars
    Options
    So if it shows me i should eat 1460 calories per day , so i should eat them regardles of how much i burn in exercise ?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    The idea behind doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning is that your glycogen supply is depleted/depletes faster so you burn more fat.

Calories for the day are total calories for the day, and if you are doing MFP not TDEE with a deficit , then you eat back your exercise calories, if you are doing TDEE with a deficit, you don't eat them back as they are included so already counted.

Also, you should add some strength training to that exercise regimen.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The idea behind doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning is that your glycogen supply is depleted/depletes faster so you burn more fat.

That doesn't work. The body can't burn fast enough to support even moderate intensity cardio - if you run out of glycogen and don't have any carbs incoming, you aren't going to "burn more fat", you're just going to crash.
  • _monicagarner
    Options
    Err Why would you think just because you didn't eat before exercise you wouldn't have eat them back? Think logically

shutup
  • _monicagarner
    Options

Oh honey, no. You're eating back calories burned not food burned off that you've eaten previously that day.

Omg that makes so much more sense, haha okay thank you i fully understand now
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

shutup

No u.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm completely confused. We are supposed to eat back our exercise calories???
  • TurtleTape
    Options
    Ok, now I'm completely confused. We are supposed to eat back our exercise calories???

For the most part, yes. MFP already calculates in a deficit, so if you don't eat back your exercise calories then you're at an even larger deficit. In general, you should aim to net your initial MFP allowance.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options

For the most part, yes. MFP already calculates in a deficit, so if you don't eat back your exercise calories then you're at an even larger deficit. In general, you should aim to net your initial MFP allowance.

Ha! I seriously had no idea! No wonder now that I'm exercising more, I'm starving all the time!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

shutup

Did you see this guys weight loss ticker. Despite his bluntness, you should probably take heed, and not tell him to shut up. You can learn a lot in these forums, but not if you are going to be defensive.
  • TurtleTape
    Options

Ha! I seriously had no idea! No wonder now that I'm exercising more, I'm starving all the time!

That's why the site adds calories to your goal when you log exercise.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So if it shows me i should eat 1460 calories per day , so i should eat them regardles of how much i burn in exercise ?

1460 was calculated for you assuming you would do no exercise. So when you exercise, you log that activity, and tada! More calories to eat!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

shutup

Did you see this guys weight loss ticker. Despite his bluntness, you should probably take heed, and not tell him to shut up. You can learn a lot in these forums, but not if you are going to be defensive.

But you can be a jerk regardless if you've lost a bunch of weight or not