Should I drink whole milk?

Options
I'm at a healthy weight. All I want to do it is cut out the processed foods in my diet.

I probably consume a cup to two cups of milk a day, whether I stir it in tea, drink it by itself, or use it in scrambles and oatmeal. I've been drinking skim milk for the past three years, but I know it's processed and bleached and filled with additives. Still, I'm afraid that the extra calories and fat from whole milk would make me gain weight since milk is a staple in my diet.

Replies

• _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just count the calories.
  • SummerLabyrinth
    Options
    I'm trying not to count calories, as that has become obsessive in the past.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Some would argue you that no one "should" drink milk. If you like it, make it fit into your calorie limit. It's not a matter of should/shouldn't because there isn't any conclusive one-diet-fits-all template and food/health aren't "moral" decisions. There's a lot of controversy over what foods "should" be eaten, or what you should even label as a "food" for human consumption. Moderation in all things, not good food/bad food.
  • Jwildeboer
    Jwildeboer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Go for almond milk instead! No need for Cow's milk.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

But doesn't that defeat the point of avoiding "processed" food? I imagine those almonds are incredibly "processed" to get them into milk. You don't just squeeze them and get it, after all.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk, whole (full-fatted) cottage cheese and other diary products. Hasn't stopped me from losing about 3lbs/week. Besides, diary is a good source of protein and calcium. If you can fit it into your daily calories, there is no reason to cut diary from your diet, unless at the advice of your medical professional.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

But doesn't that defeat the point of avoiding "processed" food? I imagine those almonds are incredibly "processed" to get them into milk. You don't just squeeze them and get it, after all.

No, you blend them. It's really not hard to make your own almond milk/pistacio milk etc. At all.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bathe in it for all I mind :P
    Whole milk is damn tasty, and it has calcium and protein... As long as you don't go overboard.. why not?
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    I use whole milk, whole (full-fatted) cottage cheese and other diary products. Hasn't stopped me from losing about 3lbs/week. Besides, diary is a good source of protein and calcium. If you can fit it into your daily calories, there is no reason to cut diary from your diet, unless at the advice of your medical professional.

Therein lies the problem. OP isn't counting, so it really doesn't matter what OP wants to try or test or do. It'll all be guess work.
  • _SantaClause
    Options

No, you blend them. It's really not hard to make your own almond milk/pistacio milk etc. At all.

That's not milk...at all.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk for most things, but I also buy whole milk for my tea and sometimes to use in cooking. There's no reason you can't have 1-2 cups of whole milk a day, just be mindful of the calories you're consuming. Yes, I know you're not counting calories. Neither am I. But as long as you're aware of the fact that the whole milk contains more calories than other options and don't go overboard, you'll be fine.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options

Nope, better.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Then you'd have to buy it raw and unpasteurized.

EDIT: Sorry, *if you want milk which is unprocessed
  • _SantaClause
    Options

Nope, better.

:angry: :noway:
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk almost every day. 1 cup - 2 cups. It has not stopped me from losing weight.

however, I also count calories so I know that I am able to have it when I would like some. not really sure if I would take a chance if I WASN'T counting calories, but that's just me.. :ohwell:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Nope, better.

I'm a huge almond milk fan. I'm also a huge whole cow's milk fan. I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other. They're both good, and different to each other.

Apples, oranges, etc.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to count calories, as that has become obsessive in the past.

Then why would you be on a calorie counting site?
  • Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to use full fat dairy. I am a whole foods type eater. Not completely unprocessed, but minimally messed with. I have lost quite a bit of weight eating that way in the past. I'm back to losing again because I had another baby after my last loss. :)

I also like almond milk in things, but not by itself. And there was a really tasty organic soy milk at costco, but since it costs more than organic whole milk...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Therein lies the problem. OP isn't counting, so it really doesn't matter what OP wants to try or test or do. It'll all be guess work.

The differential between drinking 1 cup of whole milk vs 1 cup of skim milk is 70 calories. Easily countered by a very small increase in daily activity.
  • antoniodean
    Options
    Do you excercise? Have a physically demanding job? Are you lactose intolerant? If not go for it. I would just counted against your daily over calorie intake to mainetain your weight. That is you will have to cut something back from your diet otherwise if you excercise then I'm sure a glass of milk won't harm your progress. Milk has calcium and is good for the bones. I consume quite a bit of it and I am lactose interant to some degree. I drink skim and lowfat. Whole milk kills me.