How long can a night of boozing effect your metabolism?

Options
I'm not a big drinker. I'm a social drinker. And every once in a while, I will blow it out. Whenever I do so, my numbers suffer for up to a week.

My trainer told me a night of heavy drinking can slow ones metabolism for up to a week. Anybody care to weigh in?

By heavy drinking I mean six or more drinks. The night in question, which was about a month ago, was around double that. Since then, I've had three drinks in two sittings.

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is just the rate of reactions occuring in your body. It's not set. It's constantly adjusting. The alcohol from one night won't be in your system and blood for a whole week, why would it magically slow you down for that long? No. Your liver will detox; just exercise, sweat, rest, eat regular meals and you should be fine in a day or two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A night of heavy drinking does not slow your metabolism for a week...that's utter nonsense.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Does booze count as "processed garbage"?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Booze gets a free pass amongst the food demonizers
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ahh, your trainer is wacked!
  • Tracyd262
    Tracyd262 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others, a day or two at most, but it shouldn't affect you longer than that. But hey, I am no expert. Personally, I find it is not the drinking session that affects me, it is the additional eating that often accompanies it, along with the hangover that knocks me on my *kitten* and renders me useless for days lol
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Even some people who use marijuana daily do not suffer slower metabolism, they can still lose weight. The only difference is, alcohol a lot of calories and you will have to diet/exercise to make up for them. So if you're just having extra calories, maybe its not the metabolism.
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hard liquor, beer and wine all have boatloads of calories, of course. A single gin and tonic is 143 calories. 210 calories in a pint of Guinness. Wine is similar.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Only when mixed with soda or tonic. Most quality booze is all natural.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects your metabolism at all. I think it affects your water weight a little, because it's a diuretic. Even that should clear up the next day, assuming you're thirsty and drink water to counteract it.