How much should my nutritional diet change?

Hey, I just recently started a new workout plan and I'm real excited to start seeing results. However, right before this i actually went through a massive weight loss and lost over 100 pounds doing a low carb diet. The problem was I definitely went catabolic and I lost a lot of my muscle in the process. Because of this my metabolism is incredibly slow at the point. Should I still eat the amount of calories recommended for me to build muscle on this plan(which is around 2900 calories) or should I ease myself into it as time goes on? I dont want to start eating all of this food and simply have it turn to fat because my body wasn't metabolically active enough yet. If anyone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    Hey, I just recently started a new workout plan and I'm real excited to start seeing results. However, right before this i actually went through a massive weight loss and lost over 100 pounds doing a low carb diet. The problem was I definitely went catabolic and I lost a lot of my muscle in the process. Because of this my metabolism is incredibly slow at the point. Should I still eat the amount of calories recommended for me to build muscle on this plan(which is around 2900 calories) or should I ease myself into it as time goes on? I dont want to start eating all of this food and simply have it turn to fat because my body wasn't metabolically active enough yet. If anyone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it

I would say ease into it. Can you consult a doctor and/or a nutritionist? This seems like a question for a professional to answer really. But definitely ease into any program or changes you make.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    If you've lost 100 lbs total, there's a chance 33 lbs of that was muscle and other tissue (like tendons and bone) if you weren't lifting weights and getting enough protein. And some metabolism adaptiveness has possibly lowered your BMR a bit below the norm.

DON'T WORRY! This can be overcome! TRUST ME!!!

Gradually increase your calories by 100 calories or so per week. So like if you ate 1200 this week, eat 1300 every day next week, and keep increasing it until you're at your goal. If your body adjusted the metabolism down, it can adjust it back up!

And take the weights slow. If you indeed lost muscle and tendon and bone, then your knee and shoulder joints might not be as efficient as they used to be. Insist on building up the weights slowly to avoid injury. And ease into things like higher-impact aerobics (like racquetball or tennis, for instance) where there's sudden direction changes with your ankles, again, just in case your ankles need to strengthen a little. Can you afford a bone density scan? Just to check to see if you have osteoporosis from dieting? It happens to some people.

I've added 20 lbs of muscle and bone slowly over the last 3 years or so after losing 100 lbs. And it's been a journey, that's for sure.