A shoe question for people who have lost weight.

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When I went through my divorce, I lost a very unhealthy amount of weight and my feet did shrink.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Do your feet always shrink? Mine are SUPER tiny already and I don't want to start looking for shoes in kids wear!

As others have said, it really depends. But at my heaviest, I wore a size 6. Now I can't even fit into a 5... so I wear kids.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I went down 2 shoe sizes when I lost weight.

Even when I gained most of it back, my feet stayed the same size.

Means I get all the good ones in the sales and I can get kids size in Chucks, so VAT free. Happy!
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Since I work in a hospital, I have my work shoes, which are a wider width. Because I am on my feet a lot, and my feet/ankles tend to be a bit swollen by the end of the day.

I have my home shoes and tennis shoes which are narrower.

My heels are still there, in my closet. Sitting pretty. Two knee surgeries later, and they are still sitting there. Looking wonderful and sparkly. I will wear them again one day, even if for a hot date with the hubby.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I used to wear sz 10 wide width shoes. Now none of them fit anymore and flop on my feet. I'm buying a 9 - 9 1/2 depending on the shoe type.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do your feet always shrink? Mine are SUPER tiny already and I don't want to start looking for shoes in kids wear!

I'm not sure if its always the case - you might not carry excess pudge down there? Man, i'd love to have smaller feet! My mother always used to say that I could throw out the shoes and wear the boxes lol

lol … I had a sales person kid with me about wearing the boxes. :laugh:

I'm with you, OP. I hope to get out of having to wear mens sizes as well. I used to be a 10 and would love to get back to that size.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well the only 2 things that keep growing as we age are feet and noses, and sometimes ears on men. So I don't think weight loss is going to help with that unless your feet have a lot of fat on them.
  • zodan1976
    zodan1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is kinda sad for me........Once I wasn't able to wear all my old shoes I gave them away!!!! I never once thought about the fact if I loose the weight then I could wear them again!!! But on the positive side I can use this as an excuse to go buy more once I do loose all this extra weight!! LOL
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I went from a men's size 12 to a size 11.5 when I lost 200 pounds. My width is still the same at EE. It's common to go down a size if you lose a lot of weight.
  • julied0805
    julied0805 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My feet are chubby, so I either have to buy 7 7 1/2 size tight shoes that fit my feet, or loose 8 size shoes that are too big for my feet. its really annoying that I cant buy the right shoes. Last time tough, I went to with my mom to buy shoes, so I was trying on shoes and notice that my size 7/ 71/2 fit me. I have lost 17 lbs. and was so happy to find shoes that fit me well.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My feet didn't shrink at all that I noticed. I had to buy all new clothes except for hats, socks, and shoes. My feet were not a place I gained much weight, though.

I did notice that a lot of the foot pain I used to have requiring wearing insoles is mostly gone now. Taking that extra weight off makes a big difference in how your shoes fit and feel regardless of whether your feet shrink or not. That alone for some people with thick insoles could allow them to wear a smaller size.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    my feet have shrunk from 9.5/10 to 9/8.5 but still a long way to go yet. What I love is that my calves shrink also and now I can wear knee length boots with zips, before I had to buy a size extra in order for my calves to fit, but the ones with elastic on the side.

Another thing I have noticed is that I can start to wear heals again and also longer than before without having sore soles, especially at a formal function, where it is more fitting to wear heals with the outfit I want to wear.

I know its not part of the topic here but since it sorts of relates to legs/feet, I have also found lately that my long pants that used to be just at ankle level are now too long and drag on the ground....lol wonder if anyone else found this too?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I sure hope they get narrower. Whenever an athletic shoe company offers a wide women's athletic shoe, it's always in their most obnoxious color palate.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I wore a size 7-71/2 women's shoe. Now in my 40s I am wearing a 71/2-8, but in men's for the width.

My question is, if I lose weight, can I look forward to not wearing men's shoes anymore, or are my feet forever widened?

Thanks!

I have lost fat from the most awkward of places :huh: this includes the soles of my feet :blushing:
    Just as my hands have become slender, so have my piggies. My toes also don't touch each other anymore, you can't imagine what a relief that is :laugh:

just kiddin'...no really, my feet, & hands are thin now. Something I never expected about losing weight. I now wear a very loose size 6, but not loose enough to go down to 5.5 (insert sad trombone noise here)
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and some people don't carry any or much weight in their feet but some of us do. Sadly I have fat feet along with my fat body so I can definitely look forward to a smaller shoe size with the more weight I lose. I bet you can look forward to it too. God Bless!!! :smile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Went from a size 8 1/2-8 to size 7-7 1/2.
  • PurpleMomster
    PurpleMomster Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I went from a 9 down to an 8, 7.5 in some shoes.

I had to buy new clothes and shoes - it was horrible :happy:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    For me, my shoe length/width hasn't shrunk, but I needed to cut some tighter holes for my birkenstocks tonight, as my feet are now less high/thick (either that, or all the walking I did in them compressed the cork sole down too far).
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    for me I've lost 60 pounds and even though my feet look smaller they're not. I still wear a size 10 1/2 in womens and a size 9 91/2 in mens. My width hasn't changed either.
  • angiepangie43
    angiepangie43 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I went down a shoe size. I was shocked, but happy!!