Women only! Seriously though...

Options
So I've been on the Nuva Ring for a little over a year now, and I've noticed that I'm ALWAYS bloated. Even though I'm drinking plenty of water, keeping my sodium low, keeping my calories low, I'm always bloated. Do you think this could be because of the ring?? Has anyone else had this problem and did taking your ring out help with the issue?

Replies

• Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    well i dont know about tht but i have the implant and i feel like that and i gained so much weight wen i got it !
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the ring, but I had the IUD for a year and hated it so much that I had it taken out 3 years ago. Best decision ever.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Could be...I would ask my Dr. about it.

I know the hormones in those things can do more harm than good. I gained 100lbs on the Depo Shot.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Could it be intestinal instead of that?
  • o0WatchMeShrink0o
    Options
    So I've been on the Nuva Ring for a little over a year now, and I've noticed that I'm ALWAYS bloated. Even though I'm drinking plenty of water, keeping my sodium low, keeping my calories low, I'm always bloated. Do you think this could be because of the ring?? Has anyone else had this problem and did taking your ring out help with the issue?

i am on the nuvaring and i feel your Pain!. will stop taking B.C all together soon ( my husband is in the ARMY and deploying soon so no need to stress my body with useless hormones for a year) i could let you know if anything changed for me if you want to ... just add me to your friends
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    definately could be. i've never had it myself, but a good friend of mine had the ring and she gained around 15 lbs on it, when she took it out she started losing those lbs.

personally i would consult a doctor before you do anything though. having all those hormones and then all of a sudden NOT having them can screw up your body as well. so i would consult a doctor.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've been on the ring for about an year myself, and have not noticed this problem.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    YES! I noticed that too! So much so that I only stayed on the ring for about 6 months and decided I'd had it. Switched back to the pill and losing weight again...

Might wanna talk to you doc, but yes, I did notice the same thing.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I was on the ring for a year and when I stopped it, I found it much harder to lose weight, especially during that TOM. I am considering going back on it.
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    use a different BC!! I got pregnant using Nuva Ring! I don't trust it at all! I LOVE my son and find him to be one of the biggest blessings in my life, but when it comes to BC, I would stick with the pill.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    Ok good, I'm not crazy! I poop regularly, so I don't think it's intestinal (Too much info? Nah, we're talking about birth control lol). I've tried everything, cleanses, water pills, and I'm just always bloated. I had gone to the doctor and gotten bloodwork taken and everything was normal (thyroid, etc) and he suggested switching BC's. But to be honest, I'm so fed up with all BC that I think i just want to give my poor body a break. Taking this damn thing out now!
  • kscheuer1
    Options
    I was on the ring for over a year, the first 6 months I was dealing with the same situation as you, gained a couple pounds and was a bit bloated. But after those first 6 months all of a sudden I lost the weight plus more and I wasn't on a diet or excercising, its like my body decided to get used to the ring and it went to normal. But beware! Once I went off the ring and decided to not take any birth control at all I was sooo bloated, I felt pregnant! And I gained like 10 pounds. I went to the doctor to see what was wrong and she had asked if I was on birth control, I told her I used to be on nuva ring and decided to stop using it 2 months ago and her exact words were "ohhhh god you need to get back on the nuva ring, that's why your body is bloated and your feeling bad." She continued to tell me that the nuva ring would help maintain the levels of my hormones and since I went off it now my hormones are running wild and that's why I was bloated. I went back on nuva ring, and in a month my body went back to normal. Everyone is different though, so listen to your body. This is just my experience with the ring, and what the Doctor told me.

One more thing she told me was it's very dangerous to go on and off birth controls, no matter what kind of bc your using. She said either stay on it or don't be on it at all. It's dangerous for your body to play around with bc.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    honestly just my po....I think all BC causes weight gain etc..I had a friend that got the ring and honestly had it taken out a couple weeks later....have you looked up side affects?
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Gained a ton of weight & was insane & crazy with hormones when I was on the NuvaRing. :noway: My poor husband, I don't know why he stayed with me while I was on it - I was THAT bad.:ohwell:
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    I was on the ring for over a year, the first 6 months I was dealing with the same situation as you, gained a couple pounds and was a bit bloated. But after those first 6 months all of a sudden I lost the weight plus more and I wasn't on a diet or excercising, its like my body decided to get used to the ring and it went to normal. But beware! Once I went off the ring and decided to not take any birth control at all I was sooo bloated, I felt pregnant! And I gained like 10 pounds. I went to the doctor to see what was wrong and she had asked if I was on birth control, I told her I used to be on nuva ring and decided to stop using it 2 months ago and her exact words were "ohhhh god you need to get back on the nuva ring, that's why your body is bloated and your feeling bad." She continued to tell me that the nuva ring would help maintain the levels of my hormones and since I went off it now my hormones are running wild and that's why I was bloated. I went back on nuva ring, and in a month my body went back to normal. Everyone is different though, so listen to your body. This is just my experience with the ring, and what the Doctor told me.

One more thing she told me was it's very dangerous to go on and off birth controls, no matter what kind of bc your using. She said either stay on it or don't be on it at all. It's dangerous for your body to play around with bc.

I've heard that jumping around with bc is bad, too. That's why I have given this so long. my situation was basically the opposite of yours. At first I was fine, but slowly i've noticed more weight gain and the bloating has gotten more frequent and just plain painful. So maybe going off of it, I wont gain ten lbs but lose ten? lol one can only hope.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've been on NR for several years and yes, at first, you will notice weight gain. I did with my previous BC as well. Your body needs to get used to it IMO. Once your body gets used to it you should be able to "even out".

In studies, they show the higher the level of estrogen, the higher the weight gain. Average is usually 5-6 lbs. I guess. Estrogen causes water retention. The water retention then causes sodium retention. So if you eat a lot of salty foods, expect to gain more than that 5-6 lbs. that is the average.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    use a different BC!! I got pregnant using Nuva Ring! I don't trust it at all! I LOVE my son and find him to be one of the biggest blessings in my life, but when it comes to BC, I would stick with the pill.

lol I got pregnant on the pill and on the depo shot (not at the same time of course) two best "oops" of my life!
    now I have an IUD and I love it (1 1/2 year in so far)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm glad I have outdoor plumbing.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been on the NuvaRing for about 8 years. I can't remember the side effects I first experienced, they were negligible at best. I did gain weight, but I was also newly married and have steadily been gaining until I decided to lose this year so I can't blame that totally on the bc.

I do actually have my annual today and want to switch to something less high maintenance, like the implant or something. I will say you have to be diligent with the NR. If you don't use it properly (replacing it every month, it's easy to leave it in when it prevents you from having a period) it will increase your chances of getting pregnant (from less than 1% to 8%). Very important to know.

I will say, the past year or maybe longer, but only just recently, I've noticed I'm more gassy and bloated...my husband has also noticed. :laugh:

I would also suggest talking to your doctor. Good luck!
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the weight gain/loss part of the Nuva Ring; however, I can say that I stopped using it after only about 2 months. My 2-year-old found it on our bedroom floor one day and brought it to me thinking she had found a bracelet! My husband and I were "together" the night before and it apparently came out!!!! Needless to say, I stopped using it immediately and started with a different type of BC.

I was on the Depo Shot for a little less than a year and I gained major weight! While loved how reliable it was, I wasn't impressed with the weight gain.

Good luck to you!!!