What's for dinner? Or breakfast?

tamheath
tamheath Posts: 702 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Am trying not to get in a food rut and eat the same boring grilled chicken and side veggie every night. Looking for new ideas - maybe you are too!! So what are YOU having for dinner? Maybe we can all get some fresh ideas. Last night I had a greek salad, with a couple leftover meatballs. This greek salad was amazing! I can totally picture having it with some shrimp or something. Yummy! :heart:

http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-and-easy-greek-salad-423764

Replies

• Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    For dinner a couple of weeks ago I had pan seared salmon filets with sauteed onions and thinly sliced yellow squash. It was very nice. Also added a mesclun mix salad with a little feta and balsamic vinaigrette. Delicious and there were leftovers for my lunch the next day. I shop at Trader Joe's for most things and then an Amish Farmer's market for most meats and fresh veggies/fruit so I try to add new vegetables into the rotation every other week or so.

I also found that peruvian roasted chicken, shredded and then added to a cup of black bean soup with a dollop of light sour cream is fantastic for a quick meal. Maybe that's just me, but I love it.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    I made Cranberry Chicken last night. It is a recipe I have made for years and was happy to see it is pretty low calorie when I typed it in here.

4 - 6 chicken breasts
    1/2 cup flour
    pinch salt and pepper

Rinse and pat dry chicken and dredge in flour (I usually shake in zip lock bag)

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet with lid (can try to cut back on butter with lots of Pam)
    brown chicken on both sides and remove from pan.

Add to skillet:
    1 cup water
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    dash nutmeg
    Stir about 5 minutes until cranberries burst
    Return chicken to skillet and cover
    Simmer (medium low heat) 20 - 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through, basting occasionally with sauce

I usually have this with rice and steamed broccoli. YUM!
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Everything sounds yummy... Thanks for the ideas!

Breakfast: Egg Beaters w/ a slice of 2% Kraft Cheese and 2 slices of light wheat bread.
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Bump!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    I like a little fish every now and then. Mild flavor only, nothing strong. Tilapia is one of my fav's Broiled is good, with a wild rice mix. Alaskan White fish is another good one. Again a rice side with some stir fry vegetables. Try to get farm raised fish when you can. Plus a stand by for me is broccoli and cheese soup poured over white steamed rice. Not a huge red meat eater.:smile:
  • tamheath
    And a poster on another topic just reminded me of Broiled Parmasen Tilapia. From allrecipes.com. Made this before and forgot about it. Already not bad, but I use light butter and light mayo. One of my fave ways to eat fish!

Broiled Parmasen Tilapia

Ingredients

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon celery salt
    2 pounds tilapia fillets

Directions
    Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
    In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
    Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 203 | Total Fat: 11.4g | Cholesterol: 59mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
    Nutritional Information
    Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
    Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 203

Total Fat: 11.4g
    Cholesterol: 59mg
    Sodium: 144mg
    Total Carbs: 0.6g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
    Protein: 23.5g
  • tamheath
    Thanks for the good ideas, all!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    Ooo, I want to try that cranberry chicken-sounds wonderful!

We had grilled chicken pieces tonight but I still love them, mix togther some EVOO, seasoned salt, poutlry seasoning, paprika and fresh ground pepper and rub over chicken then grill. Had some quinoa pilaf and glazed carrots with it.

Breakfast is always 1 piece double fiber wheat bread with 1 T almond butter, 1/3 cup egg whites and either 4 pieces canadian bacon, 2 pieces turkey bacon (only Oscar Meyer) or 2 Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage patties.
This discussion has been closed.