First time doing StrongLifts

Options
Soooo I went to the gym today (I like sunday afternoons because the guys don't hog the weight room :P) and did my first StrongLifts routine.

I did 45 pound squat, 45 pound Bench press and 45 pound barbell row.

I feel pretty proud of myself for even attempting because I was always intimidated and nervous to get out there.

One problem I noticed I'm having is with the bench press my feet can't really touch the ground. I'm only 4'11.
Is it okay to press with the tips of my feet touching the floor? I'm assuming not.. haha.

Replies

• reidsurrett
    Options
    Good for you!

The main problem with your feet not touching is when you move up to heavier weights, you won't have as much leverage to push the bar back up. I'd suggest getting a couple of the step boxes or something solid so you can have that leverage.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, Great job!
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I was thinking of using weights under my feet maybe
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Arch your back a little and see if that helps. You don't need to do as extreme as the video below but some arch is fine. Make sure you aren't using the back of your head for force though. Pick it up and let your hair touch the bench. It should be like a millimeter off the bench.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2stv8Iplk
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    great job! weights under the feet are fine.. just make sure your feet are flat and tight on the floor, make sure to engage your back and scapula as well kinda of like the back of you is tight and coiled like a spring
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Go you :smile:

I f you can't get a good foothold by arching your back, try stacking plates at the side to get your feet on.