Stronglifts v. New Rules

Options
I just finished reading New Rules for Women, but the workouts seem overly complicated to me. I scanned the Stronglifts website a little bit ago, and it seems a lot simpler and much more doable for me. Any thoughts or pros/cons between the two programs?

Replies

• BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Following
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think it just comes down to personal preference.

I'm up to Stage 6 in NROL4W, and I've enjoyed it immensely, but I'm also interested in Stronglifts, and plan to look into it a little more shortly when deciding where to move on to next.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried NROLFW yet because it appears to involve buying and reading a book.
    I just screenshotted the stronglifts workout on my phone and use that, no problems so far except sometimes the smith machine's taken at peak hour. Due to an old back injury, I taken the progressions slowly too, about half the speed recommended for the guys. And I also do pullups in addition.
    I can say it's is much better than light weights and pin-weighted machines though.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and so happy to find this thread! I've read the NROLFW, have been working my way through phase 1, and started reading strong lifts 5x5. Now I'm toying with switching plans. I'm doing well with the first stage of NROLFW, but also recognize this is the easy part ;).

I look forward to seeing what your opinions are. They both look like good plans.

Anyone read BFFM? (Burn the fat feed the muscle)? Curious if anyone's followed that plan too. Thanks!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts, after 12 weeks tried NROLFW for awhile (I think I made it through session 5) and switched back to SL for that exact reason. It is so much simpler if you are trying to get in and out of the gym. However, New Rules IS a good program, that's not the issue.

I quit Strong Curves after a month for the same reason.

Also, Stronglifts has a great app, that was a big plus for me as well. No need to take the book and fumble around with that.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading NROLW and think everyone should read it. However, I personally prefer Strong Lifts and the app, as I find them to be no fuss and easy to follow.

DID Y'ALL SEE THAT WARM UP SETS WERE ADDED TO THE APP?!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    They are both good plans. Stronglifts is a beginner powerlifting program. NROLW is more of a bodybuilding type program, and can be done both by beginners and more advanced lifters. I have not personally tried Stronglifts, because I'm not a beginner, have no interest in powerlifting, and I would find performing the same 5 exercises week in and week out excruciatingly boring. However, many people on here who are new to lifting like it because of its simplicity.

My suggestion would be to start with Stronglifts to see if you like it, then switch to a different program like NROLW when you get bored or feel ready for something different or more advanced. Most other weightlifting programs include the 5 Stronglifts exercises at various stages.

The Stronglifts app is of course convenient, but there are many weight training apps out there, many of which are free, that can be used for other programs. Also, training logs for all the New Rules of Lifting programs can be downloaded, so there is no need to take the books to the gym every time.

Good luck!