Anyone else feel they are addicted to sugar?

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had that problem, like eating a whole bag of chocolate chips. But I am doing much better now that I read EatQ by Susan Albers. For the past several weeks, I have been just having one sweet treat a day, such as one Dove chocolate square. That's what seems to work for me. But for some of my friends, they seem to do better if they get all of the sugary food out of their house. I do better with moderation.

Most of the people I know that have gotten all militant about sugar either gain all their weight back when they can't maintain that hard-core lifestyle or else they are really grumpy. I eat mostly nutritious food and ALWAYS save some calories for dark chocolate or ice cream or angel food cake with fruit on top.

I can say the same about some ex-smokers I know. I'm way too nice to suggest any of them start smoking again, though! :laugh:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had that problem, like eating a whole bag of chocolate chips. But I am doing much better now that I read EatQ by Susan Albers. For the past several weeks, I have been just having one sweet treat a day, such as one Dove chocolate square. That's what seems to work for me. But for some of my friends, they seem to do better if they get all of the sugary food out of their house. I do better with moderation.

Most of the people I know that have gotten all militant about sugar either gain all their weight back when they can't maintain that hard-core lifestyle or else they are really grumpy. I eat mostly nutritious food and ALWAYS save some calories for dark chocolate or ice cream or angel food cake with fruit on top.

I can say the same about some ex-smokers I know. I'm way too nice to suggest any of them start smoking again, though! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This. Plus large coke icees and I mean like 2 or 3 some days.
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a drug. You build tolerance to it and have withdrawal from it. Wtf are you talking about not addicting.

Let me clarify why I responded to this and why it makes me mad. Your basically saying that because you don't have a crack problem crack is not addictive.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    I love being addicted to sugar. :wink: it's the only damn sin I do in this world. :-/
  • notwhatyouthink
    notwhatyouthink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do my best to cut out as much as i can.
  • ALittleHazey
    Options
    I've never had a problem with sweets. i like a slice of cake on my birthday but thats about it.

My weakness is salty/greasy foods, i dont miss sweets but i do miss copious amounts of cheese on everything and of course bacon weaves....
  • multimode
    Options
    I agree with sentiment that self control and moderation, plays a huge role in successful dieting. I'll also agree that you aren't going to be able to eliminate favorite foods from your diet. However I disagree that Sugar intake is a "one size fits all" kind of issue. If you think you might be sugar addicted, it might be worth investigating why....
    Sugar consumption is all about moderation and self control. Your lack of self control does not constitute an addiction. An addict is driven to their vices by a physiological craving. Its food. You can survive without sugar. But to all it an "addicttion" is an insult to people who have real issues not related to applesauce or other foods in general.
    Cravings mostly come from a deficient nutrient balance.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus :
    Diabetes mellitus (DM) also known as simply diabetes, is a group of metabolic diseases in which there are high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period.[2] This high blood sugar produces the symptoms of frequent urination, increased thirst, and increased hunger.

Diabetes is a recognized physiological condition, which would arguably put at least on par with other conditions. I mean we can argue that Diabetes is recognized illness and not an addiction, but it would be irresponsible to suggest that a diabetic or pre diabetic should just have more "self control".

It's also recognized that obesity and diabetes are closely linked... I'm not diabetic but I do have a family history. Once I observed that my food cravings could be linked to my insulin response, I transitioned to the kind of low-carb diet a doctor would recommend for a pre-diabetic. If I don't eat excessive carbs, I don't get cravings.

I wouldn't suggest that everyone do this, I'm just saying that Sugar intake isn't a "one size fits all" kind of issue
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I genuinely believe I cannot control my eating as effectively as I can when I dial back the sugar. If sugar is the main stumbling block to maintain control over your intake, then dialling it back may be very effective for you. Myself, I did it in stages, and find it's worked quite well. In fairness I've also dialled back the simple carbs in my diet, and also eat a lot of filling protein and fat rich foods so I'm generally not overly hungry anyway, which helps a lot too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I feel like a like sugar a lot. I feel like "addiction" gets tossed around way too freely.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say I used to be reliant on sugar- I would start my day off with a pastry, eat sugary snacks all day and then eat biscuits and chocolate in the evenings. I think the more you eat, the more you want to eat.

I managed to really cut down on the sweet stuff, which was really hard to start with as I felt awful, but persevered and now have sweet treats occasionally and enjoy them much more.

I would also say though that I used to feel really sick and get a sore stomach after eating too much sugar, so I had a bit of an added incentive to stop having quite so much.

I think if there are specific things you want, like ice cream, then include them in your diet occasionally, enjoy them, but don't go overboard. Eat healthy the rest of the time.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    I certainly did not mean to start a headed argument on whether sugar is addictive or not, and I am NO means meant to make this sound insulting to people with addictions, as one poster said.

But, I wrote this hoping to have encouragement, or just to hear how others with this have handled it.

And YES, there is such a thing as sugar addiction.

I have attached just a couple of the many articles on whether sugar can be an addictive substance, just as caffeine is. There was also a study at Princeton on this subject.

So I am very sorry if I offended anyone. I was just hoping to hear from others, to know that maybe I am not alone in my battle with sugar.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/01/08/260781785/is-sugar-addiction-why-so-many-january-diets-fail

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/201403/how-break-your-sugar-addiction

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/06/27/5-clues-you-are-addicted-to-sugar/
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

ok, I'm over it....whew
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about the sugar macro, I replaced it with fiber. My most important goal to hit is protein (at LEAST 1g/lb of lean body mass). Then everything else goes to either fat or carbohydrates, I don't pay much attention.

Your breakfast is lacking in protein and that is likely the reason you feel 'snackish' later. Try some greek yoghurt with fruit, or eggs. Will stick with you longer.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I feel like a like sugar a lot. I feel like "addiction" gets tossed around way too freely.

Seriously, Tex.
    20120428144743!Preach.gif
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Everyone has foods they just can't stop eating. For me, it is my abuelita's tortillas. I could eat 20 fresh off the camal in one sitting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm betting more on people's eating habits rather than sugar "addiction". We are creatures of habit, so when anything tries to disrupt what we've habitually learned, there's usually going to be some sort of retaliation normally.
    Where before one would eat as much as they wanted, now having to limit it has disrupted a usual habit.
    New habits take time to form, but one has to be consistent for it to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition